This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Suspect Thyroid Problems & Still Feel Miserable

sillyker0nian

sillyker0nian Rookie

(Here is my Celiac Blood Panel results to see them - it might help shed some light on things.)

Hey, everyone! I'm back. And, I have new things to ask. I think I have Thyroid problems. And, I'm also still eating gluten regularly to make sure I keep up on it just in case my G.I doctor which I'm still waiting to get refereed to  does decide to do the endoscopy and biopsy. But, right now within the past few days I feel horrible - miserable even. I feel like lava (really warm) which isn't fun....

Anyways, my suspected non-Celiac symptoms are

• Increased sensitivity to cold
  • Dry skin
  • Puffy face
  • Muscle weakness
  • Muscle aches, tenderness and stiffness
  • Thinning hair

My grandmother also had thyroid problems which makes me suspect that I have them since they were passed down. And, I have low hormones and my overall IgA is low. My neck feels a little painful&puffy recently plus a little lump possibly, too. 

Can anyone help?? Thank you!  :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

icelandgirl Proficient

Hi there...those could certainly be thyroid symptoms. Have you had any blood work done for your thyroid? If not, please do that. Ask for TSH, free T3, free T4, TPOAB and TgAb. The last 2 are antibody tests for Hashimotos, an autoimmune thyroid disease. A number of people on this board, including me, have that as well.

Testing is a simple blood test that your GP should be able to order for you. Low thyroid symptoms are no fun. I hope you get this figured out quickly!

cyclinglady Grand Master

Only testing can determine a thyroid issue. See if your doctor can order the complete panel as ice has suggested. Take care!

sillyker0nian Rookie

Hi there...those could certainly be thyroid symptoms. Have you had any blood work done for your thyroid? If not, please do that. Ask for TSH, free T3, free T4, TPOAB and TgAb. The last 2 are antibody tests for Hashimotos, an autoimmune thyroid disease. A number of people on this board, including me, have that as well.

Testing is a simple blood test that your GP should be able to order for you. Low thyroid symptoms are no fun. I hope you get this figured out quickly!

Thank you!! I wrote down all of those tests you said. I'm going to my first ever endocrinologist visit on the 22nd. I'm sure she is going to be a more educated doctor on this particular issue than my "general" doctors at the nearby clinic. Do you know what she is going to need? What tests she's going to want to do? Or, can I just visit her once and see what she says and go to my general doctors? 

Only testing can determine a thyroid issue. See if your doctor can order the complete panel as ice has suggested. Take care!

I understand - it's just everyone on this board seems so knowledgeable so I wanted to ask anyways. Thank you, too, as well :)  

cyclinglady Grand Master

The tests IcelandGirl listed are specifically for the thyroid. Your endo may order other tests to rule out anything else. I have never seen an endo. My GP doctors have been good about managing my Hashi's, though it is important that you are educated as well.

Here are my suggestions for your visit. Make sure your endo feels your thyroid. Ask him to order the thyroid panel. Take in a family chart of illnesses. I find it invaluable and doctors love it. It has helped everyone in my family. Bring copies of past lab tests (you should always maintain health records).

Good luck!

icelandgirl Proficient

Take in a list of your symptoms and a list of the tests you want done.  The endo should examine you, including your thyroid.  She should order blood work.  When she does that, make sure that it includes what you want tested.  You may also want to ask for tests for B12 and D...lots of celiacs are deficient in those and in my reading I've found that lots of Hypothyroid people are as well.  Good luck to you!  Let us know how it goes!

sillyker0nian Rookie

UPDATE

Sorry - just too much to put into this post  :(

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived