#1 danikali

danikali

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 07 November 2005 - 12:04 PM

Just a quick few questions:

1. How long does it usually take to get the test results back from enterolab?

2. Are they more accurate than the tests taken by your GI?

3. Is it hard to do them yourself?

Thanks!
Danielle (Dani)

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease by Dr. Green (gene HLA DQ8) 1/05/06
Diagnosed: Gluten Sensitive through enterolab 11/17/05
Diagnosed: Casein Sensitive through enterolab 3/7/06

Diagnosed: Interstitial Cystitis (IC) 07/26/06

I finally put my picture on because it doesn't look like I'll be eating ANY cake on my Wedding day..........I'm the one in the middle.

Intolerant to: (besides gluten)

Casein
Peanuts (can handle very small amounts)
Any kind of additives or preservatives

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Rachel--24

Rachel--24

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,323 posts

Posted 07 November 2005 - 01:58 PM

Just a quick few questions:

1. How long does it usually take to get the test results back from enterolab?

2. Are they more accurate than the tests taken by your GI?

3. Is it hard to do them yourself?

Thanks!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

1. It can take up to 3 weeks. I got mine back in 2 weeks.

2. Dr. Fine (from Enterolab) claims they are more sensitive...meaning where a blood test may be negative the stool test might come back positive. The stool test can be positive after months on a gluten-free diet whereas a bloodtest would most likely be negative once on a gluten-free diet. The biopsy done by a GI is kind of a hit or miss if its positive you have Celiac...no doubt. If its negative...it doesnt mean you dont have Celiac or gluten sensitivity....it just means they didnt see any damage. Maybe there *is* no damage yet or maybe they missed it.

3. The test is easy to do. Its just a stool sample. If you ordered the gene test its easy to do...you just follow the directions.

Did you read the info on Enterolabs website? There is alot of good info on there.
Here is a link to FAQ
http://www.enterolab...ld_Be_Screened/
Here is the link to Dr. Fines essay
http://www.enterolab.com/Essay/

The stool tests are not recognized by all doctors yet. The jury is still out as far as which tests are better. Someday these tests may be more recognized. There was a recent discussion about that on this board.
http://www.glutenfre...showtopic=10311

Hope this helps. :)
Rachel

#3 danikali

danikali

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 07 November 2005 - 02:06 PM

Thanks for replying! I actually got the Gluten Sensitivity Stool Panel Complete, without the gene test, just because of the expense. Which one did you get when you went through enterolab? I hope this test is as good as the one WITH the gene test. The gene test is specifically to see if you have the gene for celiac, and may have it, or one day have it, am I right? I just really want proof that I am not crazy, ya know? LOL
Danielle (Dani)

I finally put my picture on because it doesn't look like I'll be eating ANY cake on my Wedding day..........I'm the one in the middle.

Casein

#4 Rachel--24

Rachel--24

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,323 posts

Posted 07 November 2005 - 02:30 PM

Which one did you get when you went through enterolab? I hope this test is as good as the one WITH the gene test. The gene test is specifically to see if you have the gene for celiac, and may have it, or one day have it, am I right?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I got IgA, tTG, malabsorption, and gene testing. It was the complete panel or whatever...it also came with the milk test (casein). Last month I ordered the egg and yeast tests..they were negative. My casein test was neg. as well. Everything having to do with the gluten testing was positive. I did not have either of the main Celiac genes...I had 2 gluten sensitivity genes. If you have the genes they can be triggered at any time or you can go your whole life without ever developing a problem. They don't know all of the genes linked with Celiac yet. My GI disregarded my gene test saying he cannot rule out celiac based on the genes cuz they don't know all the genes involved yet. It was a rough road for me and bascially at this point I'll probably never know exactly what I have unless I do a gluten challenge...which my doctor doesnt reccommend and I have no desire to do it anyways. All I know is my health improved dramatically after going gluten-free. Enterolab said to stay on strict gluten-free diet based on the results..so thats what I'm doing. :)
Rachel

#5 danikali

danikali

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 08 November 2005 - 09:13 AM

Okay, good, thanks! May I also ask what your symptoms were? I am so intrigued by all of these things that I am learning, but I want to know more about people's symptoms. I feel like I have almost every single one listed!

Also, what is the gluten challenge?

And do you feel better now that you are gluten free?
Danielle (Dani)

Casein

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: