3 replies to this topic

#1 WGibs

WGibs

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 07 November 2005 - 06:20 PM

I'm a newbie. I mentioned to my general doctor about two weeks ago that I had been having loose stools for several months and she added some extra tests to my routine blood work. I don't know exactly what they were, since I haven't received a copy yet, but you all with more experience probably know. A week later she called and left me a message that I had gluten antibodies in my blood, I have celiac disease, she was referring me to a nutritionist.

I was pretty shocked (I thought I would end up just having some wicked intestinal bug.) So I called her back and asked if she was absolutely sure. She said she would refer my case to the GI doctors and would let me know if they wanted to do anything more. In the meantime, I stopped eating gluten. It's been four days and I honestly can't say that it's been any sudden cure. Today my doc calls and says the GI docs think the first test was conclusive, but they want to see me to go over everything and will also run some more blood tests.

So, I'm supposed to start eating gluten again and get these blood tests later this week. Did I do the right thing? I was really surprised that she would make a firm diagnosis on something so serious when it seems like there's a lot of uncertainty with this disease. Does it seem that my doctor screwed up, or am I just being difficult? Can I have gluten antibodies but not have celiac?

Thank you for any advice or information!

High IGG, normal IGA and TTG.
Very positive dietary response.
Gluten-free since 12/26/05.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Rikki Tikki

Rikki Tikki

Tavi

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 07 November 2005 - 07:44 PM

This is just my two cents worth. They couldn't pay me enough to eat gluten for a couple of weeks so they could run another blood test.
It does take some time to heal, it took me about 2 years but I had celiac disease for at least 10.
Good luck and welcome
Nostaglia is a file that removes the rough edges from the good old days!!!!

" 15 years of it's stress!"
"blood work show's a disease called celiac,
but it can't be that because it's rare!"
Diagnosed via blood and biopsy 2003

Not a medical professional just a silly celiac
offering support, my
experience and advice

#3 skoki_mom

skoki_mom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 07 November 2005 - 09:12 PM

If you are expecting more testing, or if you are wanting a small bowel biopsy to be sure of your dx, it is important that you continue to eat gluten during the testing phase. Some people are *very* sick and I can completely understand why they don't want to continue to eat gluten. However, if you can stick it out for a little longer, you will have more accurate test results. I was asymptomatic, so I just ate all my fave stuff anticipating the news. I figured if I was going down, I was going down in flames, lol. That is just me, though. Like I said, I felt great then, still feel great, expect to continue feeling great.......................
LORI

Dx celiac disease Aug 25/05, ate KFC that night and gluten-free ever since

#4 Rusla

Rusla

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 07 November 2005 - 09:30 PM

If you are expecting more testing, or if you are wanting a small bowel biopsy to be sure of your dx, it is important that you continue to eat gluten during the testing phase.  Some people are *very* sick and I can completely understand why they don't want to continue to eat gluten.  However, if you can stick it out for a little longer, you will have more accurate test results.  I was asymptomatic, so I just ate all my fave stuff anticipating the news.  I figured if I was going down, I was going down in flames, lol.  That is just me, though.  Like I said, I felt great then, still feel great, expect to continue feeling great.......................

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My problem was I did not know I had to eat gluten for a time before having the test. No wonder I have to retake it but with burning stomach and kidney pains with gluten, I don't know if I can do it again. But if I want the diagnosis to be accurate I guess I will have to do it again.
Rusla

Asthma-1969
wheat/ dairy allergies, lactose/casein intolerance-1980
Multiple food, environmental allergies
allergic to all antibiotics except sulpha
Rheumitoid arthritis,Migraine headaches,TMJ- 1975
fibromyalgia-1995
egg allergy-1997
msg allergy,gall bladder surgery-1972
Skin Biopsy positive DH-Dec.1 2005, confirmed celiac disease
gluten-free totally since Nov. 28, 2005
Hashimoto's Hypothyroidism- 2005
Pernicious Anemia 1999 (still anemic on and off.)
Osteoporosis Aug. 2006

Creative people need maids.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: