This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Cook Books

nme23

nme23 Apprentice

Is there any cook books or magazines you would recommend? I am one month in to this new life. My family has been asking for baked goods or new things to eat. Things like blueberry muffins, zucchini bread. Any suggestions. Christmas is coming up and need to make a list

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mamaw Community Regular

there are many great cookbooks but look on the recipe section here you will find good things.. also betterbatter.org has many recipes on that site for free. Plus there are so many excellent gluten-free boxed mixes available...

Baking Classics by Annalise Roberts

gluten-free on a shoestring by Nicole Hunn

gluten-free artisan bread in five minutes..

there are soooo many.

Magazines: Living without & More,

Delight magazine

Gluten Free Living

Simply gluten free

plus more

There are many blogs & sites that offer up recipes ...just type in what you are looking for... Pinterest is another place to find tons of recipes....

nme23 Apprentice

Thank you. I just find it over whelming sometimes looking online especially when it says flour mix then you click on it and then you need 5 different flours. I want to start simple then get more complex. I loved to bake/cook from scratch and now I don't know what flour to buy for what.

kareng Grand Master

Thank you. I just find it over whelming sometimes looking online especially when it says flour mix then you click on it and then you need 5 different flours. I want to start simple then get more complex. I loved to bake/cook from scratch and now I don't know what flour to buy for what.

Sometimes mixes are helpful. They blend the 5 different flours together. Try a few of those to start. A lot of people like King Arthur and Pamela and gluten-free Bisquick. And there are others. Betty Crocker makes a great gluten-free brownie mix. I have posted a couple of easy cookie

recipes.

https://www.celiac.com/forums/topic/105434-cookie-recipes/

LauraTX Rising Star

I highly recommend using a flour blend like Kind Arthur Flour or Pamelas, and on their website they each have a ton of recipes that you can use so you don't have to experiment much.  When I was diagnosed, I went to my library and requested every book with gluten in the name, so I could try out cookbooks before I buy.  The best gluten-free baking cookbook, in my opinion, is the Americas Test Kitchen How Can it be Gluten Free cookbook.  They really do their homework and it was incredibly helpful for me.  Good luck with the holiday baking! :)

mamaw Community Regular

I use  several flour  blends & also make  one  of my  own.... I'm a foodie  snob  who  doesn't  want  their Italian  bread  to become  the  hamburger  bun  then to become a  breakfast muffin..... I  like  a variety  &  change......

gluten-free Flour  blends  are  truly  great  these  days....and  many  choices... Some  of the  favorites  are: Jules, Meister, betterbatter, cup4cup, Pamela's. tom sawyer & so many more.....plus  on gluten free on a  shoestring blog  she has clones  for many flour blends that  you  can make at  home... to  cut  cost....

There  are  some  yummy ready made  boxed  mixes  available too.....King Arthur Flour gluten-free  cake  mixes  are  very  tasty...123 gluten free  mixes  look  pricey  but  you get  more   in the  mix for a  larger  yield.. betty crocker has  several mixes... again  many more  out there...

Wal-Mart, Aldi's , Giant Eagle,  Wegman's  to name a few  now  have  their  own label of gluten-free   mixes, again many  chain  stores  are  coming  out  with  their  label...

Glutino, kinnickinnick , Pamela's, midel , Dr.Lucy  all make  ready made  bars & cookies....again  other  companies  as well...

After  you have  been  on this  gluten-free  lifestyle  for  a  while  you  will find  much  of the  gluten-free foods  lack  a lot of protein & fiber  so  like many of us once  you got  the basics of gluten-free  & find  your belly  is not starving , you  may  decide to move  on  to the  more  healthier  version of gluten-free  food...gluten-free  whole grain foods without  all the  sugars & starches &  gums...

Honestly  there  is  a  clone  for almost any  wheat   food &  most of the time  the gluten-free version  is just  as  tasty....

Here are  a few  excellent  products:

Domata seasoned  flour for breading  foods ie: fish, chicken....

DePuma's Pasta

Conte's Pierogi's

RP's Fresh pasta

Russo's  mozzarella breaded cheese  sticks, tiramisu

Kinnickinnick   panko bread  crumbs

Full Flavor  Foods     gravy  & broth  mixes

Starfish  breaded  fish,  cod, haddock, halibut, sole, flounder ( under  new  name  of  Pacific Northwest)

Joan's English  muffins

Seitenbacher  egg noodles

Aleia's almond  cookies &  seasoned  bread crumbs

canyon bakehouse  ( a  healthier  choice  )

Most  of  us  do mailorder to get  these  foods....the lucky ones  live  in  a large  metro  area  so  they  can  find  gluten-free  items  at  a  speciality  market....

Whole foods  has their own gluten-free  bakehouse... we  enjoy  their  tomato, garlic  bread  for  grilled  cheese.... I use  their  bread  varieties  for  making  stuffing...

hth

BlessedMommy Rising Star

I grind a lot of my own flours if the recipe calls for something specific (i.e. millet flour, quinoa flour, etc.) but I do keep a bag of Pamela's Artisan flour blend in my kitchen. It's really helpful to have it on hand for when I just need to throw some all purpose flour into something quickly, like when I'm making cornbread.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

edgymama Apprentice

I will just be starting my journey within the next couple weeks here (hopefully sooner) and I picked up the Better Homes and Gardens Gluten Free Recipes magazine (was pricey at 9.99) and it is really good and recipes aren't too extravagant! I looked at several others but most seemed a bit too time intensive for me ;)

Another amazing resource is pinterest! I have LOADS of gluten free recipes saved! 

BridgetteIMcleod Newbie

My go to cookbook is the America's Test Kitchen "The How Can It Be Gluten Free Cookbook" They have done all the testing for you. They also explain really well how things work and why they work. I got mine at Costco for 16.00 about a year ago. Take a look at it on Amazon here :  Open Original Shared Link

They really try and simplify things, also everything I have made has been exceptional.

mbrookes Community Regular

As you get more familiar with gluten-free cooking you will find that you don't need so many dedicated gluten free recipes. I use most of my old favorites by substituting a good commercial flour blend. The one I use most is cup-4-cup. I can use this to make most of my old recipes (cookies, quick breads, etc.)except yeast breads and cakes. For cakes I use Betty Crocker mixes (yellow or chocolate cake). The Cake Doctor Bakes Gluten Free by Anne Byrne is a fabulous book that I use frequently.

NoGlutenNo Newbie

I love ..."King Arthur Flour" Along with some signature flour's- I have had good luck baking with this one and wanted to share it with other's. It makes awesome Biscuits- Which I use when I make my Biscuits and Sausage Gravy along with other recipes.... 

You would not think they were gluten free... They have a on-line store. Open Original Shared Link

I also enjoy "Better Batter" Flour - So many more to choose from now- as mentioned above....

So far these two have never failed me. I have NEVER made Homemade Gluten free bread yet ! and if someone here can be so kind on some advice- on a bread that smells like bread :)

(you know what I mean)? That smell of walking into a bakery- :wub: and wanting to eat the breads that make us sick- ( and you start thinking maybe the lab at the doctor's made a mistake on my blood test and I can eat gluten) - Ya...That kind of bread taste

I miss that good old bread smell-  :rolleyes: .... (dreaming)

I want others in my famiy to jump a board the wheat free diet....It would make cooking easier instead of making 2-meals sometimes like pizza- noodles- they don't like certain things like those.

I'am allergic to wheat and their not- they have tasted some of my things (cakes-cookies pies & said they really could not tell the difference on some desserts. But, when it comes to store bought bread they say they can tell the difference- I have got to admit I can too and can not seem to find a loaf yet that taste or smells like a fresh bakery. So, I thought if I could find a bread that fills the air with that fresh baked bread smell- Well, maybe it would taste like it smells :-) Anyone? here have a great recipe like that?

Thank You  :D

NoGNo~ Gluten Fee since 2010-11

NoGlutenNo Newbie

Your a Sweet -Heart- Thank you for responding- I guess it's the yeast bread- that makes such a great smell....

So, I quess I'm looking for a nice yeast bread! But, should I do this from scarch and not the pre-made flours? Have you done both? such as using the cup-4-cup and using by mixing your own flours with the yeast? If so which do you prefer in taste and texture?

Thank you again..I appreciate you and will investigate this book you suggested :)

NoGlutenNo Newbie

Hi- I forgot to mention I tried making a gluten free premade "box" kind for a bread machine once- that did not come out- but never have tried to making a good old fashion bread made from entire scarch flour's and yeast ... Does the Cake Doctor book have bread recipes or just cakes and such? 

Thanks Agian!

mbrookes Community Regular

Cake Doctor does not have yeast breads, just about every cake, cookie, muffin, cupcake and quick bread you will need.

SMRI Collaborator

Is the America's Test Kitchen mostly bread recipes?  Is it worth getting for cookies and other baking if you already have good "Gluten" recipes and just need to substitute flour?

LauraTX Rising Star

Is the America's Test Kitchen mostly bread recipes?  Is it worth getting for cookies and other baking if you already have good "Gluten" recipes and just need to substitute flour?

It is like all baking recipes.  Not just bread, they kind of hit on everything.  Real helpful for it all, since sometimes subbing in the flour doesn't quite work, sometimes it does.

Ginsou Explorer

My go to cookbook is the America's Test Kitchen "The How Can It Be Gluten Free Cookbook" They have done all the testing for you. They also explain really well how things work and why they work. I got mine at Costco for 16.00 about a year ago. Take a look at it on Amazon here :  Open Original Shared Link

They really try and simplify things, also everything I have made has been exceptional.

A word of caution before purchasing this book...if you have any issues with dairy, this cookbook is not for you....most recipes use cream cheese, powdered milk, whole milk, buttermilk, heavy cream. My mouth is watering for the lemon pound cake pictured in this book,  but it uses cream cheese. Oh well, I love lemon pudding and that will have to suffice.

SMRI Collaborator

It is like all baking recipes.  Not just bread, they kind of hit on everything.  Real helpful for it all, since sometimes subbing in the flour doesn't quite work, sometimes it does.

I guess I was getting at does it have "cooking' recipes vs "baking" recipes as well :D.

LauraTX Rising Star

I guess I was getting at does it have "cooking' recipes vs "baking" recipes as well :D.

They do have a big section on cooking recipes as well, like pan fried breaded pork chops, pasta recipes, fried chicken, chicken pot pie, all things that use direct gluten substitutes, so it is very helpful with those as well.  When you get away from recipes that use flour, you really can use any cookbook for other stuff. I had a cooking learning curve once I was diagnosed, I just checked out all kinds of food blogs and cookbooks for ideas, and find some that are within your taste preferences.  Had to learn to cook for two, as well, there are books for that, too! :) But the ATK cookbook is a great help with things that use gluten substitutes.

SMRI Collaborator

They do have a big section on cooking recipes as well, like pan fried breaded pork chops, pasta recipes, fried chicken, chicken pot pie, all things that use direct gluten substitutes, so it is very helpful with those as well.  When you get away from recipes that use flour, you really can use any cookbook for other stuff. I had a cooking learning curve once I was diagnosed, I just checked out all kinds of food blogs and cookbooks for ideas, and find some that are within your taste preferences.  Had to learn to cook for two, as well, there are books for that, too! :) But the ATK cookbook is a great help with things that use gluten substitutes.

Ok, thanks!!!  I'll have to pick this one up!

Archived