This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Extra Wide Stools, Then Extra Long Stools

egger

egger Apprentice

While I was eating gluten, my stools were often round and wide like a baseball. After I stopped eating gluten, my stools became more thin, but extra long (long as a ruler or longer since I can't see all the way down the toilet hole. Whether a stool is too wide or too long, ti clogs the toilet.  I don't know if it is normal for stools to be extra long. I have been on a  gluten-fee diet for a year so is something still wrong with my intestines for having such long stools?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cyclinglady Grand Master

No stool should ever clog a toilet. Your toilet may be clogged or partially clogged. Time for a plumber!

Here is the scoop on poop as told on the Dr. Oz show:

Open Original Shared Link

egger Apprentice

I don't think it's an issue with toilets. Something's wrong with my stools since I seem to be the only one in family who clogs the toilet. I know I don't eat enough fiber so maybe it's due to that. But, I read a news story how a child clogged the toilet at elementary school and her teacher made her try to unclog it herself. Her parents complained to the school stating that she had celiac disease, which caused large stools to form. So, I figure this is due to celiac disease.

Solandra Rookie

Weird, I wonder if that's my sons problem. He's been clogging the toilet for years. :P

cyclinglady Grand Master

Did you see the link?

I stand my ground. Toilets are engineered to handle human waste. Toilets can get blocked or have reduced capacity over the years from mineral deposits. They can also be clogged by those who put too much paper into the toilet.

Cpbatchelor Newbie

No stool should ever clog a toilet. Your toilet may be clogged or partially clogged. Time for a plumber!

Here is the scoop on poop as told on the Dr. Oz show:

Open Original Shared Link

Thank you for sharing the link. Very interesting. 

• 2 weeks later...
Water Street Newbie

I don't think it's an issue with toilets. Something's wrong with my stools since I seem to be the only one in family who clogs the toilet. I know I don't eat enough fiber so maybe it's due to that. But, I read a news story how a child clogged the toilet at elementary school and her teacher made her try to unclog it herself. Her parents complained to the school stating that she had celiac disease, which caused large stools to form. So, I figure this is due to celiac disease.

No worries egger, I don't know who thinks toilets are impervious to human waste because they are not. Older people get very hard stools from meds and conditions which cause toilets to clog. I know, in the past I was the one unclogging them. I have even met older folks who break up their stools with a stick before flushing. I wouldn't rule out a partial clog hiding in your toilet, but the only toilet related concerns I have are as follows: partial clog (specifically "flushable" wipes because they don't break down in water), a cheap toilet can often have a seem inside that can catch material (again specifically those "flushable" wipes, they suck don't flush them), any tank cleaners but specifically the blue colored tablets you put in your toilet tank. It makes the water thick and slow moving. It is possible that blue tank cleaners may have the worst track record for clogging toilets above all else, (this part usually shocks people). If you can rule out these issues than your stool could be part of the problem, but not to say that it is something to stress about. My department is not health. I am not a master plumber but I have lots of plumbing experience.

Perhaps your stool is part of the problem. Instead of discussing toilet trap physics someone could pass on their experiences with this, if they indeed have experience, rather than boiling the conversation down to whether or not what someone is saying is possible. Obviously clogging a toilet with a large firm bowel movement is possible. Forgive me for getting frustrated when people turn these legitimate concerns into a debate about something else entirely.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived