This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Labeling Laws In Us

Googles

Googles Community Regular

Hi.

I was wondering about labeling laws in the US. I was wondering if products that are processed in the same facilities or on the same lines as products that contain wheat are required to be labeled as such. I was looking at dried fruit the other day and was glad I looked at the ingredient list because even though it didn't have wheat in it, it did say that it was processed on shared lines. Are they required to do this? Or was this just a nice company. I was really surprise as really all I thought it would have had as ingredients was some preservatives and the fruit. I hope this question makes sense. Thanks. 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

psawyer Proficient

The federal law known as FALCPA requires the top eight allergens to be clearly disclosed if they are intentionally included in a food. That covers wheat, but leaves barley, rye and oats up to voluntary disclosure.

Disclosure of shared facilities and/or shared equipment is entirely voluntary. Some manufactures make a voluntary disclosure; others don't.

Before you overthink this, consider that every restaurant you may visit is probably a shared facility with only one set of dishes and one dishwasher--shared equipment. If you have ANY gluten anywhere in your home, your home is a shared facility.

Thank you for the answer. 

I'm not trying to over think it. I'm just trying to figure out where there is gluten getting into my body. It is definitely getting in and I have gone over again and again to try and find ingredients that might contain gluten, but everything is coming back clean. So trying to find other ways it might be sneaking in. And my kitchen is just me cooking and my kitties. I have transferred my cats to grain free food to get rid of that gluten floating around after the last cat food went from wheat free to adding wheat to their cat food. I haven't tried any new soaps or anything either. So I'm just searching

kareng Grand Master

Thank you for the answer. 

I'm not trying to over think it. I'm just trying to figure out where there is gluten getting into my body. It is definitely getting in and I have gone over again and again to try and find ingredients that might contain gluten, but everything is coming back clean. So trying to find other ways it might be sneaking in. And my kitchen is just me cooking and my kitties. I have transferred my cats to grain free food to get rid of that gluten floating around after the last cat food went from wheat free to adding wheat to their cat food. I haven't tried any new soaps or anything either. So I'm just searching

So you are still having positive blood antibodies?

kareng Grand Master

With your antibodies being elevated on your own food, you might want to try the "Fasano" diet.  It is recommended before deciding if you are refractory or not.  I think you do it for a few months and then see if your antibodies are coming down.  If they aren't, you would need to see a GI.

Open Original Shared Link

Open Original Shared Link

StephanieL Enthusiast

Have you had your blood tested at different labs?  There is a possibility that your test results aren't accurate using one of the tests.  I would try that before any other diet modifications.

This isn't from any blood testing. I know I need to get that done. This is from effects on my body: insomnia, digestive trouble, muscle and joint pain, irritability, trouble concentrating. I'm guessing that I'm going to need to do a diet record. I know I should go to the doctor to get blood tests done, but I HATE going to the doctor as a kid we only went to the doc when we were really really sick. I had a gi doc when I got diagnosed, and then went to grad school, and now am working full time. I haven't gotten another GI doc as I now live in another part of the country. I should probably get my blood work done. 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

Well.... Maybe this isn't a gluten issue? If you are eating at home and super careful.... Maybe it's something else? Maybe another food issue or maybe another health issue? I don't see how you could be sure it's gluten sneaking in especially since you are so careful.

Archived