This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Canyon Bakehouse G.f., Dairy Free, Soy Free Bread

Ginsou

Ginsou Explorer

I have noticed some posters on this forum say their choice of bread is Canyon Bakehouse. Our local Vitamin Cottage/Natural Grocers is now selling this so I decided to try it. Seems like I tried it several years ago while vacationing in Colorado and was not impressed with it.

This bread blows away all other G.F. breads that are out there....it is soft, soft, soft, and doesn't have mouse tunnels running thru it like that other bread from Colorado. The loaf is 18 ounces of decent size slices and was $5.15 a loaf. Someone on this forum said the shelf life is about 4 days after thawing out from a frozen state, and not to refrigerate it.  

My slices have been on the counter for 2 days and are still soft....I can actually enjoy real sandwiches again, and I'll be able to bring a decent sandwich on an airplane when I travel. I'm gluten/dairy/soy intolerant and when I have to fly from the west coast to the east coast and stay at  several motels I really have a hard time not being able to have a real meal until I get to my destination.

Thank you for this fantastic forum and the wonderful folks who share so much info.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mamaw Community Regular

canyon bakehouse  is  one  of the  better more  wholesome gluten-free  breads available....I love  the  hamburger  buns....

BlessedMommy Rising Star

I was so sad when our local store discontinued Canyon Bakehouse....that's one of the downfalls of living in a rural area, I guess. 

Ginsou Explorer

canyon bakehouse  is  one  of the  better more  wholesome gluten-free  breads available....I love  the  hamburger  buns....

I had a Buffalo Burger tonight....excellent. I can stop trying to make my own bread products and throw away all those recipes for bread that I've collected trying to make my own...nothing tops Canyon Bakehouse.

SMRI Collaborator

I've yet to see Canyon Bakehouse anything in any of the stores here.  I'm not in a rural area either!

mamaw Community Regular

canyon bakehouse  is  usually  carried  in the specialty  stores...I have  never seen it in a grocery store

kareng Grand Master

canyon bakehouse  is  usually  carried  in the specialty  stores...I have  never seen it in a grocery store

I have seen it in regular groceries, whole Foods,  and even Target - frozen.  If someone really wanted to try it, they could contact the company or use the locator on the website and find out who carries it in their area.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ginsou Explorer

I have seen it in regular groceries, whole Foods,  and even Target - frozen.  If someone really wanted to try it, they could contact the company or use the locator on the website and find out who carries it in their area.

Good point about letting people know it is sold frozen....in my area it is sold at Vitamin Cottage/Natural Grocers and Safeway. I found it on the east coast at Hannafords in NH.

BlessedMommy Rising Star

My Meijer store used to carry it. They carried it on the shelf, rather than frozen. I'm guessing that's why it got discontinued.

kareng Grand Master

I have talked to them. It is shipped frozen from Denver. Then, some stores put it on the shelf and it thaws. The WF by me does that. I usually ask for a frozen one from the back. I think it's better to have less thaw and freeze cycles

BlessedMommy Rising Star

That is a great idea, if you don't go through bread quickly. Bread doesn't usually last long enough in my house to worry about thaw and freeze cycles.  ;) With 5 of us, one loaf of bread lasts for only one meal usually.

I'm guessing that the store couldn't turn it over fast enough to keep it from expiring, with it being on the shelf and not in the freezer. I suggested that they carry it in the frozen section, but they never did bring it back. On the plus side, having no Canyon Bakehouse bread inspired me to bake my own and I have a really good scratch recipe that I like. I also like making bread from Pamela's mix.

SMRI Collaborator

I usually buy the Udi bread frozen.  I keep it in the freezer because I thought it had to stay frozen.  I could thaw it out and leave it on the counter???

bartfull Rising Star

If you use it fast enough. Maybe around three days?

Ginsou Explorer

I usually buy the Udi bread frozen.  I keep it in the freezer because I thought it had to stay frozen.  I could thaw it out and leave it on the counter???

Udi's website says their bread can be left on the counter for up to 7 days.....after thawing.

SMRI Collaborator

Ok--that's good to know.  I won't eat it fast enough normally but if I need to-that's helpful.  

gilligan Enthusiast

HyVee grocers and Target sells it - frozen in both stores.

SMRI Collaborator

HyVee grocers and Target sells it - frozen in both stores.

I just looked at our Target today and they did not have it :(.  Our Target has very little gluten-free stuff though.

mamaw Community Regular

Our local grocery stores just carry GoodBye GLuten ( fresh) & udi's & schar... Can't seem to talk them into anything else! It depends on where you live.. Some areas are big on gluten-free others not so much...

Archived