This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Craving Fish - Need Advice/help

Waitingindreams

Waitingindreams Enthusiast

Okay so...I really don't like fish. The only seafood I ever really enjoy (and rarely) is shrimp, and occasionally fried clam strips (pre gluten-free days). That's it. I haven't even had tuna since I was like 12 years old. I did try mahi mahi awhile back when my coworker brought some in, it was okay. It was like a chicken/fish hybrid but I wasn't too enthralled with it. 

The other day I was with my boyfriend at S&S and I smelled baked fish, and for once it smelled really good! I wanted to try it. Then, my dad was making tuna and that smelled good too!

So since I've randomly been craving fish, I figured it's because my body is trying to let me know it is missing something. I googled what it could mean to crave fish, and I saw a few different results: possible iodine deficiency (which would make sense...I use Celtic sea salt instead of table salt, due to candida - and there is no iodine. I don't get iodine from other sources either, since I don't really eat processed food) or hypothyroidism (possible, but I'm hoping this isn't the case) I do sometimes get some salt from sources, such as canned black beans or fresh deli salsa (both list 'salt' as ingredients) I love potatoes and apparently potatoes are a good source of iodine, but the diet I am currently on does not allow potatoes. 

Although the best case of action would be to discuss this with my doctor, I currently do not have health insurance. I am trying to do all of this on my own (with the help of the forum) I think my minerals have iodine, so I should start drinking them again. 

Since i don't really like fish, AND I can't just buy processed fish even if gluten-free...I need tips on how to prepare it myself. I want to at least try it. I've never made it before...what is the best fish to get...salmon, etc? Which is easiest to cook? Any simple recipes with limited ingredients? 

Thanks in advance! :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

When I was growing up Friday was fish day. My favorite way Mom cooked it was to simply put it in the oven with a bit of butter and paprika and baked until it flakes easily with a fork. Depending on the thickness it took about 15 to 20 minutes or so. I still ordered baked or broiled haddock every time I went out to dinner, when I used to eat in restaurants. 

mamaw Community Regular

if  you get  salmon  make  sure  it is  wild caught  not the  farm  raised  in  swamp  water! Cod,  halibut, haddock,  barramundi  are  all  mild fish....wild caught  fish  is a  staple at  our  house....You  can do  anything  thing with  fish,  pan fry, bake, broil, deep fry, sauté  with  veggies.....

kareng Grand Master

Bake it in foil?  Open Original Shared Link

Topping the cooked fish with some chopped room temp or slightly warm pineapple or fruit salsa is good if you don't like the taste of fish.

bartfull Rising Star

Cod. Put it in a baking dish. Add butter, perhaps a little lemon, and if desired (and on your diet), top with gluten-free bread crumbs. It's done when it's white and flaky.

PS, if you can find any Against the Grain products, they make great bread-like substances.

w8in4dave Community Regular

Great recipe Bartful! I like to just put it in a Baking dish with butter, a lil lemon and what ever seasonings you like , could be garlic, rosemary, the seasonings are endless :) Sounds great! Maby I will make some fish :) I also wanted to add I don't think they use table salt in canned goods. so it's not a source of Iodine, most restaurants don't use table salt when they cook either. So thats not a good source either. 

Kareng I like the pineapple salsa recipe also! 

julissa Explorer

I just made some awesome salmon. i really just bake it with a bit of olive oil. I make extra because I love it the next day cold on a salad

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

icelandgirl Proficient

I just made some awesome salmon. i really just bake it with a bit of olive oil. I make extra because I love it the next day cold on a salad

Me too!!  I make it on Friday night and there's enough leftover for 2 more meals for me.   :)   I do olive oil and either Fox Point seasoning from Penzeys or a little lemon juice and dill.  So good!

Wow! Thank you all so much for all of the replies. 

I didn't realize that when companies list 'salt' on processed items it probably isn't iodized salt. I will try to include more iodine rich foods in my diet. I miss potatoes :'( All fish (fresh or frozen) is legal on my diet, provided there are no ingredient items during processing...so that's good. 

Bartful, I have heard about Against the Grain, but the diet I am on is super strict and doesn't allow much processed food (I think I'm cheating by eating the canned black beans, for example - I probably should buy them dry and soak them, etc) 

Now I wonder if my bf will try it when I make it...lol. 

bartfull Rising Star

Most of their stuff has dairy but there are cinnamon raisin bagels and these: Open Original Shared Link both without dairy or any grains. I love this company. It is a dedicated gluten-free facility. They don't even allow employees to bring gluten in their lunches.

Thanks for the link! In general, those ingredients aren't bad at all - but for this specific diet I saw a few ingredients that are considered illegal - such as tapioca and molasses. But once I am off this diet (or at least once I can have cheat days) this will be perfect - no gluten, soy or dairy! Thanks :) I love finding products to look forward to trying/eating again once I heal. 

Yeah, I am definitely trying some of those products once I can add more food back into my diet...wow. The pesto pizza sounds great!

mamaw Community Regular

we love  salmon  grilled  & then  put  mango salsa  on top,  yums  all the way.....

I think I will try putting lemon slices, olive oil, and salt and pepper on fish - not sure what kind...maybe cod or haddock. Mango salsa sounds good, but I'm going to try to keep it simple.

I asked the bf if he would try some and he doesn't want any! Hahaha. I think I'll pick some up this Friday to bake this weekend. Love all the tips! 

CathyO Rookie

We love fish.  Salmon is a favorite.

We have a couple ways we fix it.  One is very simple with some lemon juice, butter and garlic powder.  We have a Cuisinart grill very similar to a Foreman.  We cook it about 7-8 minutes.  perfect.

I take a salmon fillet and top it with lemon slices, crushed garlic, a little brush of olive oil, fresh rosemary sprigs and some capers. Bake it for 15-20 minutes.

Another is a marinade of gluten-free soy sauce, garlic, butter, some brown sugar and lemon juice. Marinade for 5-10 minutes and grill on a BBQ or a foreman style grill.

These all sound good/interesting! I guess I'm going to have to do some experimenting. My BF grills chicken and vegetables for me, but since it's so cold out now we've kind of retired the grill :( (I LOVE grilled veggies/chicken) but I plan on baking the fish, and whatever fish I like best can be grilled when it gets warm enough out! I love the idea of covering it in lemon slices and some seasonings, then wrapping in foil. Salmon looks intimidating to me...i was thinking of starting with a "white" fish like tilapia so that it looks more like chicken, LOL! Or maybe mahi mahi if I can find it...just because it did kind of taste like chicken. Maybe I can season it differently than my coworker did. So many options!

I LOVE gluten free soy sauce btw - PF Changs' gluten free fried rice was soooo good. I wish I could have it (I can't have soy :( ) maybe someday that will change, but I'm thinking soy might be on the 'don't' list indefinitely. 

BlessedMommy Rising Star

Have you tried coconut aminos? That's a pretty good soy free substitute for soy sauce and I think that I remember you saying that you could have coconut. All it is made out of is coconut nectar and sea salt, IIRC.

Open Original Shared Link

DougE Rookie

For salmon fillets, make a rub of equal parts chili powder and cumin, crush in a bit of an herb (e.g. thyme) and add a little black pepper.  Coat the fillets thoroughly with the rub and cook on the BBQ about 4 or 5 minutes per side.

BlessedMommy - Yes, I can have coconut. I LOVE coconut flour :) I have never tried coconut aminos, but I will definitely look into that! If it tastes like soy sauce then I'm sure I'll like it. Oddly enough, I never tried regular soy sauce pre gluten free days, just the gluten free one. There are a few health markets near my bf's house, so if I can't find it at the regular grocery stores I'm sure I'll find it at one of them. :)

Thanks for the tip, DougE! I use a chili powder that has cumin mixed in, could I just use that? I think it's oregano, chili, cumin...not sure what else. Possibly paprika. I usually wrap my food in foil before putting on the grill, would the time still be the same? 

BlessedMommy Rising Star

It tastes somewhat like soy sauce, but with a hint of sweetness and a bit less salty. The sodium content is only about 1/3 of regular soy sauce.

DougE Rookie

Thanks for the tip, DougE! I use a chili powder that has cumin mixed in, could I just use that? I think it's oregano, chili, cumin...not sure what else. Possibly paprika. I usually wrap my food in foil before putting on the grill, would the time still be the same? 

Experiment with the rub.  I just use what I have on hand.  I do not wrap the salmon, but use a vegetable grill so I don't lose any if it falls apart.  I find the rub helps hold the fillets together anyway.  If you prefer to wrap it in foil, that might change the cooking time, I'm not sure.

lpellegr Collaborator

Top your fish with a mix of crushed Rice Chex or gluten-free Rice Krispies and melted butter and you will have a lovely crunchy topping.  Bake at 400F for 15-20 minutes, depending on the thickness of the fish.

mbrookes Community Regular

Tilapia is a good non-fishy fish. Here is what I do: Heat about 1 tablespoon each of butter and olive  oil in a skillet. Sprinkle the fish heavily with a seasoning that you like. I use a Cajun seasoning sold by a local restaurant but Tony Chechere's creole is a good one, too. I have also used Emeril's Essence. Saute until the fish is white and flakey. It only takes a few minutes since tilapia filets tend to be rather thin.

Archived