This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

New Research May Help Develop Drug For Celiac Disease - News-Medical.net

Scott Adams

Scott Adams Grand Master

Open Original Shared Link

News-Medical.net

Celiac disease patients suffer from gluten intolerance and must adjust to a life without gluten from food sources like wheat, rye and barley. There is no treatment of the disease except lifelong gluten-free diet, but now a Danish/Norwegian research ...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online (within 30 mins)

Samantha1
    Newest Member
    Samantha1
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
      1m

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A22):

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A21):

• Upcoming Events

• trents
      Keep in mind, Hannah, that of you are on a gluten free diet and want to get tested for celiac disease, any testing would be invalid until you were back on generous amounts of gluten for weeks/months.
    • Hannah2907
      Hi, the test I did was an online one with list of positive feedback. I initially did the test as I thought I may be lactose intolerant but with the results showing high sensitivity to gluten as well as dairy I thought I’d just ask for foods that may benefit me and my symptoms as well as follow these results up with a blood test with my doctors. It doesn’t specify coeliac, it just showed a very high sensitivity to gluten
    • Scott Adams
      Also, I've not heard of any legitimate allergy tests which use hair samples, certainly there is no test for celiac disease which uses a hair sample. Are you sure your tests are legitimate?
    • trents
      Welcome to the forum community, @Hannah2907! I know this is going to be all very confusing, Hannah, but the first thing to realize is that celiac disease is not an allergy and it cannot be diagnosed by allergy testing. It is an autoimmune disorder characterized by an inflammatory reaction to the ingestion of the protein "gluten" which is found in wheat, barley and rye.  Autoimmune disorders speak to diseases where the body's immunes system attacks the body's own cells. In the case of celiac disease, when food containing gluten is ingested, it triggers an attack in the villous lining of the small bowel. This causes inflammation in the villous lining and produces characteristic antibodies that can be detected in the blood through certain lab tests. This inflammation often (but not always) causes discomfort and other GI distress and always wears down the villous lining. This "wearing down" of the villous lining over time causes increasing inefficiency of nutrient absorption and can cause serious vitamin and mineral deficiency related medical problems. The villous lining of the small bowel is essentially where all the nutrition in our food is absorbed. The damage done to the villous lining can also be detected through an upper GI scoping ("endoscopy") with a biopsy. The endoscopy/biopsy is typically used as confirmation when the antibody blood testing is positive for celiac disease. Celiac disease may also be referred to as "gluten intolerance".  There is another gluten-related disorder known as NCGS (Non Celiac Gluten Sensitivity). NCGS is also known simply as "gluten sensitivity" but, unfortunately, many people use the terms "gluten intolerance" "gluten sensitivity" interchangeably. NCGS is 10x more common than celiac disease and shares many of the same symptoms with celiac disease. The main difference is that celiac disease damages the villous lining of the small bowel whereas NCGS does not. There is no test for NCGS. Celiac disease must first be ruled out. Both require complete abstinence from gluten. Some experts believe that NCGS can be a precursor to celiac disease. The immune system pathway of NCGS is not well understood though, like celiac disease, it is not an allergy. My point in all of this is to help you understand that the testing you have undergone for allergies is not effective for diagnosing gluten disorders. You need to get blood antibody testing done that is specifically designed to detect celiac disease. Many people with gluten disorders also must avoid dairy and sometimes oats, even gluten-free oats. 
    • Scott Adams
      Hopefully you saw this article...have a great trip!