This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

How Much Can One Person Take? I've Reached My Limit...

Waitingindreams

Waitingindreams Enthusiast

(This is sort of a vent - I'm very upset right now and I need to get this out)

I don't have health insurance because I got laid off in late July due to "lack of work" (even though I kept asking my boss for more work) since then I have applied to countless jobs and been on a ton of interviews. I FINALLY, today, received a job offer (after 2 phone interviews, a face to face interview, and passing a 1 hour online assessment) got offered a great job that is close to my house, has great benefits (from day 1) is full time, etc etc. I accepted the offer, but my employment depended on a few contingencies....background check, etc etc...and drug testing. Of course I agreed to everything and I headed right down to Quest Diagnostics for my urine drug test. 

I have never been able to pee in a cup. When I went for my sleep study and I needed to pee in a cup, I held it for over 12 hours to try to get in the cup. Every time I tried to pee in the cup, I would stop peeing midstream. The woman at the hospital finally gave me a styrofoam bowl to put in the toilet to pee in. That worked. I then just transferred the pee into the collection cup. I have never had to do a drug test for any of my previous jobs. I was hoping that I could pee into a urine collection bowl at Quest. Nope. They needed me to pee directly into the cup.

I spent, literally, 3 hours at Quest trying to go in the cup. I cried a lot, called my boyfriend...doctor, the agency who sent me for the test, and my recruiter. No one could help me. Finally after a lot of struggling (and almost passing out) I was able to get the urine cup filled with a substantial amount of urine...only to be told that the sample was useless because I couldn't get all of the pee out in under 5 minutes. It was a MIRACLE that I got that much pee in the cup at all, but now I have to apparently get that much pee into a small cup in under 5 minutes? 

Apparently what I am dealing with has a name - it is called  Paruresis...and it used to be much, much worse. For example, I used to not be able to go in public restrooms if someone else was in there with me. I couldn't pee if someone was talking to me, etc etc. Now I am fine with all of that. I can even go #2 in public restrooms...I couldn't do that until I was 25/26. I think this all has to do with OCD, because my other OCD tendencies have all improved, except now I'm OCD about cross contamination. But now this is holding me back professionally. This will not be the only company to demand a urine drug test. 

Drinking water doesn't help. I had to pee the entire time I was there. It's not that I don't have to pee, it's that my body literally can't pee. I did manage to squeeze a lot out at the end as stated, but that didn't matter because the cup had a temperature gauge on it. 

Officially, the urine test doesn't expire until Saturday afternoon. The lady at Quest told me I could come back tomorrow, but it specifically states in the email from the company I am trying to work at that if I leave the center before completing my test, it's the same as failing. I don't know what to do. I am fine with coming back tomorrow and trying to do it again...but it specifically said in the letter that we can't. 

I have never even smoked a cigarette, and now I'm sure everyone I tell this to is going to think I'm a major drug addict. I would be fine submitting to all of the other tests - blood tests, hair test, etc. I don't want to miss out on this great opportunity. This is going to sound over dramatic but at this point I am just so beyond done. I'm tired of being positive. 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

julissa Explorer

I am so sorry you went through this, I hope you can resolve it and get the test done. 

bartfull Rising Star

Have you tried peeing into the bowl and just slipping the cup under you mid-stream? That's what my doctor had me try when I had similar trouble and it worked.

I know it may be too late for this job but don't beat yourself up over it. Remember, you are a good person and things usually work out the way they're supposed to. Maybe the boss at this job would've turned out to be a real creep or something. Try to keep a positive attitude and the right job will come along. (Yeah I know, it sounds like a bunch of platitudes but what else can you do?)

In the meantime, here's a big (((((HUG))))).

Yes. :( I have tried everything. It was a real struggle for me to get all of that pee out...I don't know if I could do it in under 3 minutes.

I have read that this "condition" is apparently covered under the ADA...and that I should be able to ask for an alternate test method (saliva, hair testing, etc) so I am going to try to contact someone at their HR. I think my recruiter is already home for the day. If they order me a blood test or a different test, I can still have it done by the deadline and it will still prove that i do not have any drugs in my system. I'm not positive how to go about this. I mean...why does it have to be a urine test? Why can't I just prove I'm not on any drugs another way, is it really that big of a deal?

I really want this job :( 

Since I know my recruiter has left for the day, and since I can't find a contact # for anyone in HR...should I try to draft up an email stating that this "condition" is covered by the ADA, and that I would be absolutely happy to take an alternate drug test in the time allotted? I could even provide my doctor's phone number and give the name of the poor woman that was with me for 3 hours.... 

I don't know what else to do. I really need this job. 

Here is a sample letter I just drafted. Advice would be appreciated.

Hi (recruiter name),

I hope this email finds you well. I wanted to reach out to you with a huge concern of mine.

I went to Quest Diagnostics yesterday at about 1:20pm to complete the urine drug test as directed by (company name). Despite multiple attempts, I was not able to provide a successful sample. I have never had to provide a urine sample for a job before, but I have a history of not being able to urinate in a cup. This condition is known as “Paruresis” and is covered by the ADA. Previously, I was given a urine bowl to accommodate this. I was not allowed to have that at this lab, as the tests were temperature sensitive and needed to be collected directly in the cup. I stayed at the facility until it closed (4:30pm) and despite the fact that I did eventually manage to provide enough urine, it was not collected in under the 5 minute time slot, so it was deemed useless.

I am highly qualified for this position, and I would love to still be considered. I know that you personally cannot authorize an alternate drug test, but if you could please put me into contact with the right HR representative so that I could plead my case, I would be much appreciative. I really would hate to miss out on this opportunity because I failed to perform a satisfactory sample for the urine test. I will happily pay any difference in price for an alternate test, and if I am given permission to do an alternate drug test, then I will absolutely get it done within the 48 hour window I was given.

I apologize for any inconvenience to you, or anyone at the company. I am not ready to give up on this position yet, and I am hoping that despite the unorthodox subject, that (company) is willing to work with me so that I can prove I am the right person for your team.

Thank you for your time,

-          (my name)

I had a sleep study done back in August of 2010. They needed me to pee in a cup to analyze my urine to make sure I wasn't on any drugs or drinking any caffeine. I could NOT pee in the cup, and since I stayed there over night - I held my pee for ages (I didn't want to pee it all out in the toilet, I wanted it in the cup)

Eventually the nurse gave me a bowl to use and I peed immediately, gave her a huge sample, and that was that. I just called their office in hopes that, perhaps, my inability to go to the bathroom was documented. I wish I knew the nurse's name. I had to leave a message since it is after hours, but if they could email me some documentation of it that would help my case for sure.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GFinDC Veteran

You know what?  I bet you aren't the only person who has that issue.  The people at the clinic prolly see lots of people every day and some of them are going to have a similar issue.  So they are possibly more understanding than you might expect.  I wouldn't send the email to the HR department at this point.  I'd give the clinic people a chance to do the right thing first.  If it's meant to work out the Good Lord will work it out. :)

You're right - I am definitely not the only person with this issue. It's all over the internet! Apparently people with this "condition" (or whatever you would call it) have been fired when they failed to complete random urine testing at their jobs. It's terrible.

As for the clinic...both women were absolutely stunned and confused by me. Frustrated as well. They probably saw this grown woman crying about not being able to do something so simple, and I'm sure they thought I was ridiculous. They said they've never seen anything like it before. They absolutely would not contact anyone for me, though that is a nice thought. It seems you are a really nice person to think that way - - I am the same way. I would have absolutely tried to help any patient I saw that was clearly distraught.

You are right about things working the way they are supposed to, but this is a great job opportunity. It's so close to my house, benefits from day 1...I really hope they work with me for this. I can't pee in a cup, but I can pass other drug tests and I can certainly do the job I was offered. I hope this doesn't ruin my chances. I'm so upset...

nvsmom Community Regular

:( Oh no. How stressful for you.

Is it possible to bring in a bowl yourself (f they have nothing for you) and just transfer the sample to the cup?  I would think they should have bowl there. I remember when I had a 24 hour urine collection test and they gave me a bowl that fit over the toilet but under the seat, so I could go normally and still collect everything.  They should have something, or maybe a medical supply store would have something you could take there?

Good luck.  I hope it works out.

They had urine bowls, but they told me that I couldn't use that because the pee had to go RIGHT in the cup, then be given to them in under 5 minutes, or the test results were worthless. The cups had a temperature gauge on them, the bowls did not...and the bowls weren't "sterile". They tried to help me but you could tell they were just frustrated and clearly did not understand, even though I've found multiple articles on the subject. Even though I squeezed out enough urine INTO THE CUP - it was worthless because I didn't do it in under five minutes. I REALLY filled that cup despite all of my issues (nearly passed out too) and it was all for nothing. I can't do this. I am making myself sick from stress. I will happily submit to an alternative drug test, even pay for it if I have to - but based on the cases I read, the company might not allow me to do it. I really don't know how it will turn out. I will happily run back to the lab tomorrow as soon as i get approved for a different test, assuming they are reasonable and accommodating. 

You can't bring anything in with you :( They took my stuff and locked it in a box and made me pat down my sweatshirt/pockets. I understand, but some compassion and understanding from someone would have been nice. I am grown woman who is trying to find work. If I could pee in the damn cup in under five minutes, I would have done it. If I had a drug problem, I wouldn't be on job interviews.

Kind of seems ridiculous if you really think about it..."No, even though you're willing to take another drug test the day after, you can't pee on command in under 5 minutes so we're going to rescind your offer". 

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I wonder if taking one dose of an anti-anxiety med might work for you. If your doctor knows of this issue you have he could give you a script for one dose. Being a doctor prescribed med they couldn't refuse you the job because you took it.  Perhaps for the future he could give you a letter stating your condition and a medical need for alternate drug testing. 

I am so sorry you are going through this. I hope you find a solution. 

1desperateladysaved Proficient

How about setting the cup in the "hat" or basin?

ravenwoodglass - Once i get insurance, I plan on getting officially diagnosed and having this put on my record, and hopefully I won't have to go through this again. 

1desperatelady - We tried that. It eventually worked...that was how I got all of the pee in the cup...but it took me longer than 5 minutes, so the sample was worthless. Here is the final draft of the email I am going to send. i was going to send it last night, but my friend talked me into calling first. I did, no answer.

Hi XXXXXXX,

I hope this email finds you well.

I went to Quest Diagnostics yesterday to complete the urine drug test as directed by XXXXXXX. Despite multiple attempts, I was not able to provide a successful sample of urine. I have never had to provide a urine sample for a job before, but I have a history of not being able to produce a satisfactory sample in a quick amount of time. This condition is known as “Paruresis”, and in past situations reasonable accommodations were made.

I am highly qualified for this position, and I would love to still be considered. I know that you personally cannot authorize an alternative drug test, but if you could please put me into contact with the right HR representative, I would be much appreciative. I am more than willing to go back to the lab today and submit to a blood, saliva, or hair test if approved. I will happily pay any difference in price for an alternative test if cost is an issue.

I apologize for any inconvenience to you, or anyone at the company. I am not ready to give up on this job, and I am hoping that despite the unorthodox subject matter, XXXXXXX is willing to work with me so that I can prove I am the right person for your team.

Please feel free to contact me with any questions or to further discuss this situation (xxx) xxx-xxxx

Thank you for your time,

-          (my full name)

I called my recruiter and explained the situation before sending the email so that she had documentation of it. She was pretty understanding given the circumstances and she said she'd see if there is anything she can do. 

*fingers crossed*

nvsmom Community Regular

Good luck!

Thank you! Still waiting. On Friday they requested a dr's note from my doctor. He sent one. I emailed my recruiter to let her know that my doctor's office said the letter was sent, and I haven't heard anything since. Keeping my fingers crossed. :\

julissa Explorer

keeping my fingers crossed and sending positive thoughts your way 

Thank you - that's very kind. I appreciate it. :) 

I really want this job - but at least I know that if I don't get it, I did everything in my power to try to get it. Ugh. So stressful just waiting!

gilligan Enthusiast

How much urine do they need to collect?  I've never had a test that required more than just a few drops.  What does a cup look like that has a temperature gauge on it?   Just curious...

I don't know how much urine they actually needed, but they needed a LOT. 60ml maybe? 

Here is an example of a cup with a temperature gauge on the side; it looks similar to the one I was given:

007819%20Cups,%20Specimen,%203%20ounce,%

It has always been difficult for me to pee in a cup on command...but having to pee a LARGE amount, in a cup on demand - in less than five minutes... just...I can't do it. And it has been torture waiting for a verdict on this. I tried to enjoy my weekend (and I did for the most part) but I just need an answer. 

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE: I was approved for an alternative test last Tuesday, and I took the test (saliva test) on Wednesday. I just found out that I was cleared to start work this Thursday! YES! I did it!

bartfull Rising Star

Open Original Shared Link

RMJ Mentor

Yeah!

nvsmom Community Regular

Excellent.  :)  Good luck with the job!

Archived