53 replies to this topic

#1 newo ikkin

newo ikkin

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 November 2005 - 08:30 PM

Ever since I started my gluten-free diet in about May 05 I've been extremely tired all the time.
At night I get about 7-8 hours of sleep, wake up at 6 and go to school for about 7 hours. Then as soon as I get home from school I'm too tired to stay awake and take 4-5 hour nap, then wake up to eat dinner, do homework, take a shower, then I get extremely tired again and go to bed.
I have noticed that when I wake up I don't feel well rested unless I get 14-16 hours of sleep at a time.
I started taking vitaims for some more enegry and eating a bigger, healthier breakfast but it doesn't really seem to help.
I hate this because if I don't take a nap during the day and I go out I feel dead and if I sleep I miss out on the whole day.
Is this a side affect of celiac disease or a gluten-free diet? Does anyone else feel like this?
diagnosed May 16, 2005

He will wipe every tear from their eyes and there will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain for the old order of things has passed away. Revelations 21:4

15/f/nj

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Claire

Claire

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 08 November 2005 - 09:05 PM

I hate this because if I don't take a nap during the day and I go out I feel dead and if I sleep I miss out on the whole day.
Is this a side affect of celiac disease or a gluten-free diet? Does anyone else feel like this?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I know that feeling - especially the missing out on the whole day part. Several months ago I started taking CoQ10 - it's an enzyme. For me the difference has been amazing. I am not running any races to be sure but I am not in bed all day either. I am getting more done and not feeling the overwheilming exhaustion that I had before. It might likewise help you. Claire

#3 MySuicidalTurtle

MySuicidalTurtle

"Like a rolling stone?"

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,663 posts

Posted 08 November 2005 - 10:43 PM

I get very tired. I do not have classes on Fridays and spend most of that day sleeping or doing nothing. I just feel tired and worn down. Your signiture says you are 15. I am a few years older and these years require a lot more sleep than 8 hours. In my recent health class my Professor said that most of our class, coming out of our teens, would be growing out of it but teens truly need more hours of sleep than adults and others. I think with our Celiacs and age that it's just harder for us.

#4 jenvan

jenvan

Lynne took this picture! :)

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 09 November 2005 - 05:09 AM

have you had a work up to check for deficiencies such as iron? anemia caused me additional fatigue and symptoms such as chewing ice and restless leg syndrome. i have been gluten-free for 8 mos, and i am still very tired. i actually felt more energized before going gluten-free! the celiac nurse i work with has mentioned that it can take up to 2 years to really feel "normal" again. you may have an additional issue going on or it your body may very well still be in a transitional period and adjusting, beginning to heal etc. you could go back and ck with your doc... deficiencies can be cked with a simple blood test.
~~~~~~~
Jen
Indianapolis, IN

gluten-free since Feb 2005
dairy-free

#5 VydorScope

VydorScope

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 09 November 2005 - 05:41 AM

I agre with Jen, get check for other vit/etc diffecnies. They tend to go hand and hand with celiac disease esply Iron. Also tryin increasing the PROTIEN in your diet and decreasing carbs, esply sugar. Protein will give more gradual and lasting engery, and does not have the crash associated with high carbs foods, esply sugar. Also try cutting back on cafine, it has a simular crash effect for many ppl. Nothing beats carbs for quick fast energy, but it does not last long, protien is what you eat for engery to last. :)

- Vincent -

#6 floridanative

floridanative

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 09 November 2005 - 10:49 AM

I know that feeling - especially the missing out on the whole day part. Several months ago I started taking CoQ10 - it's an enzyme.  For me the difference has been amazing.  I am not running any races to be sure but I am not in bed all day either. I am getting more done and not feeling the overwheilming exhaustion that I had before.  It might likewise help you.  Claire

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Claire - do you mind elaborating on what CoQ10 is and where I can get it? My pcp wants to put me on folic acid rx due to family heart disease history and I'm already taking iron and B-complex. I want to ask the her if it's okay to add the enzyme too. I've got to get more energy or I don't think I'll make it through the holidays with much enthusiasm. Thanks in advance. You have been so helpful to me on many different threads.
Dx'd with anemia - March 2005
Positive blood tests - Sept. 2005
Positive biopsy - Jan. 2006
Gluten free since 1-23-06

#7 jenvan

jenvan

Lynne took this picture! :)

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 09 November 2005 - 12:15 PM

i started taking q10 recently in hopes of being energized. i have a friend who said it did wonders for him. i think it has given me a slight boost...but still hard to tell at this point. either way, it can't hurt :) i am taking Natrol brand.
~~~~~~~
Jen
Indianapolis, IN

gluten-free since Feb 2005
dairy-free

#8 floridanative

floridanative

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 09 November 2005 - 02:10 PM

i started taking q10 recently in hopes of being energized.  i have a friend who said it did wonders for him.  i think it has given me a slight boost...but still hard to tell at this point.  either way, it can't hurt :)  i am taking Natrol brand.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks jenvan! Is this sold in drug stores, or only online or what? I've never heard of anything like it. I want to get some tomorrow or at least order it.
Dx'd with anemia - March 2005
Positive blood tests - Sept. 2005
Positive biopsy - Jan. 2006
Gluten free since 1-23-06

#9 quantumsugar

quantumsugar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 11 November 2005 - 08:00 PM

Vitamins helped me a lot, too, but the biggest thing that helped me was regular exercise.

I was dealing with serious fatigue all the time, more after I went gluten-free than before, weirdly enough. I decided exercise might help. I started with a two minute walk a day, and there were times I couldn't do it. But all of a sudden, my energy started to improve. I'm still pretty tired, but SO much better, and when I skip exercising for a few days, the fatigue comes back.
Enterolab results: 14 October 2006

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0501

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,1 (Subtype 2,5)
(Yay!)

gluten-free since May 2005
Currently soy and dairy free !

"You have filled my heart with greater joy than when their grain and new wine abound"
--Psalm 4:7

#10 zebrajeb

zebrajeb

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 10:20 PM

Among other things it could be sleep apnea. Only a sleep test will tell, but worth checking. I probably went 10 years that way before being tested. Now, I sleep well and awake rested.

#11 jkmunchkin

jkmunchkin

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts

Posted 23 November 2005 - 06:07 PM

Have you had your thyroid checked? I found out a few years ago that I have an underactive thyroid, and have been taking Synthroid daily since. It has really helped my energy level. I used to be so tired that by 2:00 pm I could barely keep my eyes open. Now between that and beginning to eat gluten-free I have more energy than ever.
Jillian

Positive Blood test and Biopsy
Inflamed stomach lining
Gluten free since July 6, 2005
Tarrytown, NY

"Sometimes being a b$tch is all a woman has to hold onto." - Dolores Claiborne

#12 Kelly Langenfeld

Kelly Langenfeld

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 22 December 2005 - 06:12 AM

I can relate to being tired all the time. It has gotten noticably worse for me since going gluten-free in 2/2004. I'm a vitamin junkie, including Co10 daily. I agree that when I exercise I have more energy and feel better, but that's probably the only thing that I have found to help. I hope that this desire to indulge in lots of sleep starts to taper off one of these days, b/c it does really cut into your life. I've had my thyroid checked, as well as all blood work.
--Kelly Langenfeld

#13 key

key

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 22 December 2005 - 11:52 AM

I was feeling very fatigued and having aching in my legs. LIving on caffeine for survival to take care of my three kids. I had a full workup for vitamins and anemia. Actually my hgb was better then it has ever been. GUess the diet is working some. Anyway, I think it was because i was getting gluten. Make sure your thyroid is ok and I do exercise which can help some. Take vitamins, etc.
Monica

#14 Guest_BERNESES_*

Guest_BERNESES_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 December 2005 - 10:33 AM

I'm fatigued a lot of the time too. I've been gluten free for ten months and the fatigue has gone up and down. Right now- I think because school just ended and the holidays, I am wiped. I just want to check into a bed and breakfast somewhere and sleep under a cozy down comforter for a few days and have a valet serve me gluten free meals. Ahhh....heaven. But since that's not going to happen, as my doctor says (after having tested me multiple times for thyroid and vitamin deficiencies), if you need a nap, take a nap. Your body is healing right now and it needs that rest. And if you are 15 you need even more. When I was 15, sleeping 12 hours on the weekends was the norm for my friends and I.

#15 nathela

nathela

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 27 December 2005 - 06:26 PM

[quote name='quantumsugar' date='Nov 11 2005, 11:00 PM' post='76761']
Vitamins helped me a lot, too, but the biggest thing that helped me was regular exercise.

I was dealing with serious fatigue all the time, more after I went gluten-free than before, weirdly enough. I decided exercise might help. I started with a two minute walk a day, and there were times I couldn't do it. But all of a sudden, my energy started to improve. I'm still pretty tired, but SO much better, and when I skip exercising for a few days, the fatigue comes back.

I experienced something very similar. After I started my gluten-free diet, I got more tired. My fatigue turned into a real fatigue ( like somebody being very sick). Before, I was having a lot of second-effect symptoms like, getting the flu, having stomach pain, bone pain, constipation, gas... Now, I am pain-free but my energy is like a yo-yo. Sometimes, it feels like I am in a light coma. A real brain-fog, for sure!! I had to stop working out for 6 weeks. I was too weak. Now, I can walk 40 minutes a day, on the good days. Or, not walking at all, on the bad days. I made the decision to stop eating eggs, soy and milk, a week ago. It seems to help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: