- - - - -

I'm Always Tired.

• Please log in to reply

59 replies to this topic

#16 Guest_BERNESES_*

Guest_BERNESES_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 December 2005 - 08:15 AM

These are good things to know- I've got to get my buitt in gear about taking my vitamins and getting some exercise. I had some blood work done yesterday and my iron is a bit low. have you been checked for anemia? Just a thought. That could definitely contribute to fatigue.

And it would be nice if I could spell butt right- ahh...my good friend brain fog!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 jen3899

jen3899

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 28 December 2005 - 10:49 AM

I mainly get tired and the brain fog after I eat, its like my body need to use all the energy it has to digest the food. It makes things really hard because if I need to go somewhere during the day I can not eat. On days I have something to do, like holidays when I have to be at familys houses, or days I have apts, I cant eat untill I get home for the day and know I dont have anywhere else to be. Right now I can not work, because there is no way I can live like that EVERY DAY. I do not need to take a nap, just sit or lay down. And on top of just getting wiped out from eating, If I have food in my belly and I have to go somewhere, my nerves set in, I have panic attacks, which make the D set in........Not good in public! Anyone else notice they get worse brain fog and fatigue after they eat, or just all the time?
-Jennifer

#18 Guest_BERNESES_*

Guest_BERNESES_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 December 2005 - 02:49 PM

Jen- I've heard other people say that it takes a lot of their body's energy to digest their food, but not to the extent that you're saying. I can't help but wonder if you're getting hidden gluten somewhere. What have you been eating? Or maybe you have other intolerances. That sounds horrible! Does it happen even when you eat just plain rice?

#19 jen3899

jen3899

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 28 December 2005 - 03:58 PM

It doesnt seem to matter what I eat, it just makes me tired. I dont have stomach symptoms, unless I have to go out in public, and thats my nerves. My diet includes, Fresh meats(burger, beef, pork, ham...has sodium & sugar added, turkey legs) Potatoes, rice, corn, eggs, some cooked veggies(fresh are too hard on my belly) and a few extras like Heinz Ketchup, Kraft Mayo, LaChoy Soy Sauce, olive oil, corn oil, Fleichmans Lite Marg, salt and pepper.
About a month ago I went to the doc for a yeast infection and mentioned that I have celiac disease and asked if a Candida overgrowth could be causing me some problems(before I went I was having D almost every day) The doc didnt say much when I told him I had celiac disease, but he was like Oh you do and he gave me 4x the reg dose of Diflucan, ever since then, I am still tired but the D has been pretty non existent, unless I have been really stressed.
I am hoping that I will slowly keep getting better, and start getting my energy back. Back in the day I use to be the most outgoing, spontaneous person you could meet, now I dread leaving the house and need at least 24 hour notice if I need to be somewhere, It really sucks to be such a boring person and it has started to take more and more of a toll on my relationships, romantic and family, friends are non-existent. You know how un-romantic it is to plan out sex days in advance, or when it does just start to happen, to have to say, wait honey, I need to poop! Really puts a damper on things! No such thing as going out together, not even going shopping together or anything, and then I get jealous when he wants to go out with out me, cause I know how boring I have become, but it still bothers me when he doesnt want to be home with me. Sorry to rant, just started and couldnt stop!
-Jennifer

#20 Guest_BERNESES_*

Guest_BERNESES_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 December 2005 - 04:26 PM

No Jennifer- don't be sorry- it's good to rant! You need to. I feel the exact same way as you sometimes (about going out, sex, romance etc.) It's like, you're in the middle of an intimate moment and I say, "Oh honey, I'm so sorry but I am going to fart" (what I mean is "fart you right out of bed!" It's actually become a joke between us. :blink:

As far as your diet- you might want to try this. Just have foods you know are safe- meat, veggies and rice with salt and pepper and Fleishman's and olive oil- for awhile (actually experiment with the meat too. The nurse I had last night told me that beef makes her sick as a dog and I have a friend with Celiac's who can't tolerate pork).

Cut out all the stuff that are common allergens/intolerances like corn, potatoes, eggs, soy, and dairy (I know it sucks!) for two weeks. See how you feel. Then try adding things in back in one by one. If you have a reaction to it, go back to the basics for two weeks and then try adding something else in. Anytime you have a reaction, go back to basics for two weeks. I did this and it really helped (sort of- it made me realize that I wasn't intolerant to anything except when I'm glutened. Then I'm intolerant of EVERYTHING!).

Also, keep a food journal. Again, it's a pain in the butt but it really helps.

As far as the panic attacks go, does your doctor know? My sister and I both have them and they are treatable. At least feeling less anxious would get you out of the house.

Hang in there and know we're here for you, Beverly (I actually didn't take a nap today for the first time in about three weeks- oh wait! I slept 14 hours last night :P )

#21 pokerprincess

pokerprincess

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 29 December 2005 - 02:53 AM

I agree withyou Berneses. I have found staying away from almost all starchy
foods is a must. The other method I use help with the fatique and leg pains
is an herbal supplement called Ginseng Energy Now. I get them at most
conveniant stores. I used to take a iron and vitamin c supplement called
Vitaron. I got those at the CVS drug stores in Jersey. Now that I am in Denver
I haven't been able to find them. They were better than the prescription iron the
Dr. had me on. The best thing for energy that saved me before my DX was metabolife
which you can't get anymore (not the original stuff). If anyone knows how you can
I would be indebted to you for life!

Jen we all know the feeling. I remember my best friend getting so mad at me because I
wouldn't go out with her as we had planned. Were you aware that all of these foods have
vinager which is usually a derivative of wheat?Heinz Ketchup, Kraft Mayo, LaChoy Soy Sauce,
:D pokerprincess

#22 Guest_BERNESES_*

Guest_BERNESES_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 December 2005 - 06:35 AM

Yeah- good point. I can't tolerate vinegar made from grain (or alcohol from grain either) even though technically it's gluten-free. I can't eat Heinz ketchup, LaChoy makes me feel icky. But I can tolerate rice and apple cider vinegar (my favorite salsa is Green Mountain Gringo and it lists apple cider vinegar) and potato vodka. It's amazing how certain things can effect you. I got very sick from eating a salad in it last week that I thought had rice vinegar on it, but didn't. It had regular white vinegar.

#23 jen3899

jen3899

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 29 December 2005 - 08:39 AM

This may sound dumb from someone who has been dx celiac disease for almost 5 years, but there is a difference between being allergic to wheat, and having celiac disease right? Is that why some CDs can tolerate the distilled vinegar and distilled grain alcohols, and others cant, the ones that can have a problem with the Gluten, which is all removed during distillation, and the ones that cant have a problem with the wheat, which can not be completely removed? Just a theory?
Oh, and I tried removing all things with Vinegar for a while and didnt notice a change.
-Jennifer

#24 Guest_BERNESES_*

Guest_BERNESES_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 December 2005 - 01:49 PM

The difference, from what I have been told after allergy testing, is that wheat allergy is more of an anaphylactic reaction (hives, trouble breathing etc.) whereas Celiac's is not an allergy. It is an autoimmune disorder where your antibodies view gluten as poison and attck your small intestine in defense. Although I have been told that a wheat allergy can have digestive components too. Someone chime in here and correct me if I'm wrong.

As far as vinegar goes, it is TECHNICALLY gluten free because the gluten cannot make it through the ditillation process but some people can't tolerate distilled products. I can tolerate distilled products like apple cider and rice vinegar and potato vodka, but for some reason white vinegar makes me really sick. Basically, if I don't know the source of a distiiled product like vinegar or alcohol, I don't touch it because it makes me sick.

#25 pokerprincess

pokerprincess

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 29 December 2005 - 02:27 PM

Jen, nothing sounds dumb.We are basically our own research group trying to figure it out on our own! Thank
god for this forum. At least I am past the point of considering myself insane. I talked to a woman at the research clinic in Maryland. She said that you can have celiac disease and it will have no effect on you at all: and then someone eles can be as sensitive to it that even touching can make them sick. We are chemicaly and genetically unique. There is no way establish any consistancy that we can rely on. We just have to do the best we can continue being so supportive of one another.
pokerprincess

This may sound dumb from someone who has been dx celiac disease for almost 5 years, but there is a difference between being allergic to wheat, and having celiac disease right? Is that why some CDs can tolerate the distilled vinegar and distilled grain alcohols, and others cant, the ones that can have a problem with the Gluten, which is all removed during distillation, and the ones that cant have a problem with the wheat, which can not be completely removed? Just a theory?
Oh, and I tried removing all things with Vinegar for a while and didnt notice a change.
-Jennifer

#26 jen3899

jen3899

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 05:11 AM

Thanks! That makes a lot more sense!
-Jennifer

#27 Mr J

Mr J

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 31 December 2005 - 04:44 PM

i'm another one who is always tired although the worst of the feeling of chronic fatigue has now been replaced by just feeling really sleepy and lazy. The sequence of events is that before realising the gluten connection to my problems i was always feeling stressed and rushed and in fact tests done when i lived in Australia had shown that i had elevated cortisol stress hormone levels, but not quite enough to qualify for Addisions. then after going gluten free there was a big positive in that my stomach smooth muscles started to churn food for the first time in years but a really heavy fatigue set in which lasted weeks. Used to just sit in front of tv feeling wasted, frequently with a headache. Then that heavily fatigued feeling turned into just feeling sleepy and lethargic - its still with me today, but i've always forced myself to maintain some physical activity. I'm really hoping to get out on my stomach motility encouraging device tonite (skateboard) - been raining the last few days, but i know i will have to force myself once the post evening meal sleepyness sets in. Once i get outside i know that in a few minutes some life will kick in to my body and there will be a definate mental health benefit too. Some ppl who know me have remarked that i am incredibly disciplined, i suppose i am when it comes to maintaining my daily activities but i do have a number of personality limitations which probably are reactions to my selfish discipline so i would not describe myself as a well balanced individual!

cheers,

Mr J
age 47
enterolab tests
HLA-DQB1*0602, 0604 - sensetivity genes
Antigliadin IgA and Transglutaminase igA positive
Casein IgA positive
primary problem - gastroparesis - paralysis of the stomach
under control with the right drugs

#28 Mr J

Mr J

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 02 January 2006 - 07:33 PM

a friend sent me these 2 links. a combo of thyroid and adrenal insufficiency is causing her fatigue. The first link contains a page on adrenal insufficiency too. I don't have thyroid probs and if i had to bet i would say i don't have adrenal insufficiency either - its all too easy to look at a list of vague symptoms and convince myself thats the problem, nevertheless i 'm feeling a lot of low grade versions of the symptoms of adrenal insufficiency. The info says that some modereate excercise is ok :-) however i'm not ready to give up my ration of 1 cup of coffee a dayjust yet though.

cheers,

Mr J

symptoms of hypothyroidism not acknowledged by the medical community
http://www.stoptheth...d_pathetic.html
also this site is about adrenals: http://www.vitaminmd.com/isocort.htm
age 47
enterolab tests
HLA-DQB1*0602, 0604 - sensetivity genes
Antigliadin IgA and Transglutaminase igA positive
Casein IgA positive
primary problem - gastroparesis - paralysis of the stomach
under control with the right drugs

#29 FernW

FernW

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 10:54 PM

I am always tired too any the doctors have no clue why.

#30 FernW

FernW

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 10:56 PM

I wish there was a pill that can help us all no matter what the issue is.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: