59 replies to this topic

#46 Celiac Mindwarp

Celiac Mindwarp

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 08:48 AM

Just to note this is an old thread, and the original posters may not be about.

You are welcome to start a new one :)
- Symptoms from 2001, maybe before. Across 20+ years, these have included, vomiting, D, migraines, headaches, recurrent miscarriage, inflammation problems (failure to heal from injuries) brain fog, anxiety and more!
- Elimination diet using Atkins, 2003 – excluded wheat, caffeine, quorn. 2005, excluded sesame, alcohol
- Started diagnosis route April 2012, blood tests, endoscopy – said negative, gluten challenge, clearly something very wrong, had to stop after 3 weeks.
- Gluten Free, August 2012, Corn Free, September 2012. Removed most processed gluten free foods.
- Genetic testing, December 2012 – negative – Diagnosis – Non Celiac Gluten Intolerance (NCGI)
- Elimination diet, January 2013 – all of the above plus dairy, legumes, all grains, sugar, additives, white potatoes, soy. Reintroducing sloooowly now. Health improving.
It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer. ~Albert Einstein Posted Image

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#47 Geoff Griffith

Geoff Griffith

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 10:04 AM

Ever since I started my gluten-free diet in about May 05 I've been extremely tired all the time.
At night I get about 7-8 hours of sleep, wake up at 6 and go to school for about 7 hours. Then as soon as I get home from school I'm too tired to stay awake and take 4-5 hour nap, then wake up to eat dinner, do homework, take a shower, then I get extremely tired again and go to bed.
I have noticed that when I wake up I don't feel well rested unless I get 14-16 hours of sleep at a time.
I started taking vitaims for some more enegry and eating a bigger, healthier breakfast but it doesn't really seem to help.
I hate this because if I don't take a nap during the day and I go out I feel dead and if I sleep I miss out on the whole day.
Is this a side affect of celiac disease or a gluten-free diet? Does anyone else feel like this?

I used to feel the same way. Spent years just dragging. I changed out my household products to all natural to eliminate toxins and started taking really good vitamin supplements. Especially extra Vitamin D.  I have no issues now. I feel like I gained back 10 years of my life! I got to bed about 11pm and wake up at 5:30 with no alarm!! I am more than willing to talk with anyone who wants to know more about how I turned it around.

#48 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,234 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 10:45 AM

I used to feel the same way. Spent years just dragging. I changed out my household products to all natural to eliminate toxins and started taking really good vitamin supplements. Especially extra Vitamin D.  I have no issues now. I feel like I gained back 10 years of my life! I got to bed about 11pm and wake up at 5:30 with no alarm!! I am more than willing to talk with anyone who wants to know more about how I turned it around.

You know you are responding to someone who hasn't been on since 2005?

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

#49 Deaminated Marcus

Deaminated Marcus

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 11:41 AM

They might be lurking  :)

#50 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,234 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 11:51 AM

They might be lurking  :)

If they are, they are not signing in using the account they were posting with.

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

#51 Guest_myjade_84_*

Guest_myjade_84_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 June 2013 - 06:47 PM

Maybe you can try to include some breathing techniques on your daily routine. Many people take short, shallow breaths, and this will reduce the amount of oxygen absorbed by the body so it makes your lungs and your heart work harder. The proper breathing techniques will prevent your body from getting tired fast. After taking short, shallow breaths, try to breathe long and deep. Remember that you have to breathe through your nose and remove it through the mouth. 

#52 Lizanne

Lizanne

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 04:26 PM

I have been Gluten free for 11 months now.  I was exhausted all the time prior to going Gluten Free and felt a significant change right away having so much more energy.  Over the past several months, that tired feeling comes back from time to time. I know I need more exercise as I always feel better afterwards.  My vitamin levels are all good and thyroid is fine too.  I take B complex vitiamins.  They really do help me.  I notice the difference if I forgot to take one.  Hope this helps. :rolleyes:

Gluten-Free Since July 2012

#53 deb_rn

deb_rn

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 03:13 PM

I have been Gluten free for 11 months now.  I was exhausted all the time prior to going Gluten Free and felt a significant change right away having so much more energy.  Over the past several months, that tired feeling comes back from time to time. I know I need more exercise as I always feel better afterwards.  My vitamin levels are all good and thyroid is fine too.  I take B complex vitiamins.  They really do help me.  I notice the difference if I forgot to take one.  Hope this helps. :rolleyes:

I am going to the Dr tomorrow to see about a diagnosis.  I have had insomnia for  YEARS!  I got so bloated last week that I finally did a little "elimination test" of my own... BINGO!  I felt better after 12 hrs off gluten!  I've been reading like crazy and eliminating things from my diet.  I'm a nurse, so I have to have myself half diagnosed before posing symptoms to a Dr!! :D I'm hoping a lot of my "mysterious" physical problems will subside.  On the plus side, I lost 4.2# in 1 week without trying!  I had gained weight very suddenly about 6 yrs ago.  Looking forward to a definitive diagnosis and cleaning the gluten out of my house, if need be!

Debbie

#54 blondiedar052

blondiedar052

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 11:37 PM

Hi Guys,

I had an endoscopy and I have Celiac sprue.  I have eaten very healthy as a vegetarian since 1968 and as a vegan for many years and always my tests have shown I was doing great! Because of my lifestyle I made it a point to become very educated on nutrition. Since finding out about the Celiac, I have been gluten free for 3 months now. I have had EVERYTHING tested and it all came out ok.  But I can barely take care of myself I am so tired.  I have been tired before but never like this. This is different.   I am at the point where I am going to have to see about getting someone to come in to help to clean my home.  Plus my food bill is not something I can keep up with on a fixed income.  I am still taking Imodium just to get through the day or I can't leave the bathroom.  My stomach is a mess and I am getting very concerned.  I saw a nutritionist and I am taking all the supplements they said to but it doesn't seem to be doing anything yet.  I can't get a good sleep in even with medication.  I have nightmares and wake up exhausted.  Does anyone have any information that might help or even maybe have felt this way?  I felt better when I was on gluten. My stomach is flatter,my breathing a bit better, joints not quite as sore. But the trade off, not good.  My stomach is acting way worse.  I have been meticulous about eating gluten free or even buying products that could have even been manufactured in a plant where there could have been cross-contamination. I don't know what else to do.  My doctor is certain it is celiac. All replies are appreciated because I have a life that i would like to get back to!  :blink:

#55 Alexius

Alexius

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 04:24 AM

This is what helped me to get  some additional energy just after 2 weeks:

1. Zinc

2. Magnesium

3. Selenium

4. Vit D

5. Swedish Bitters

Good luck!

#56 BoJonJovi

BoJonJovi

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 28 September 2014 - 05:07 AM

Could it be depression? Exercise might help.

Are you eating out? If so stop and eat at home for a few weeks. See if it helps.

Have you checked all meds and supplements for gluten?

#57 Serielda

Serielda

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 28 September 2014 - 07:52 AM

Oh god that is a sticky one with the  food bill, do you have an Aldi or Trader Joes near you? I been to one a couple of times and have purchased quite a bit of Gluten free real food + treats before.  Second option check out farmers markets and co-ops.  I have an acquaintance, who has a huge load of debt from school and  is on disablility .She goes to one in a neighboring town and gets food ridiculously cheap and we are talk awesome stuff. I used to poo poo those markets having come from a small town  in ohio originally that had a terrible co-op and farmers market. But if your in a good sized city you can do well with those options. As for cleaning and energy I know this one, most here probally do as well I've learned to  clean in stages.For instance I may do  vacuming in bedroom and livingroom on one day , and the next the sofa and living room. Moping on another day and dusting. It sounds like a lot but it does help atleast with me. What got me at first was when I went to working overnights that was a doozy, but finally adjusting better. I hope some of these options work for you and are viable.

Hi Guys,

I had an endoscopy and I have Celiac sprue.  I have eaten very healthy as a vegetarian since 1968 and as a vegan for many years and always my tests have shown I was doing great! Because of my lifestyle I made it a point to become very educated on nutrition. Since finding out about the Celiac, I have been gluten free for 3 months now. I have had EVERYTHING tested and it all came out ok.  But I can barely take care of myself I am so tired.  I have been tired before but never like this. This is different.   I am at the point where I am going to have to see about getting someone to come in to help to clean my home.  Plus my food bill is not something I can keep up with on a fixed income.  I am still taking Imodium just to get through the day or I can't leave the bathroom.  My stomach is a mess and I am getting very concerned.  I saw a nutritionist and I am taking all the supplements they said to but it doesn't seem to be doing anything yet.  I can't get a good sleep in even with medication.  I have nightmares and wake up exhausted.  Does anyone have any information that might help or even maybe have felt this way?  I felt better when I was on gluten. My stomach is flatter,my breathing a bit better, joints not quite as sore. But the trade off, not good.  My stomach is acting way worse.  I have been meticulous about eating gluten free or even buying products that could have even been manufactured in a plant where there could have been cross-contamination. I don't know what else to do.  My doctor is certain it is celiac. All replies are appreciated because I have a life that i would like to get back to!  :blink:

#58 Serielda

Serielda

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 28 September 2014 - 07:59 AM

BoJonJovi, that is a great point, there are so many snakes in the grass often something can get over looked. Meds was at first one I did not think of until I started pounding the internet and books I could get my mits on for that kind of info. I do know Target has their brand and some of their products are brazenly marked gluten free. If you are on meds, a good pharmacy with your Dr.'s orders on it will get them on alert to do things. When I got out of the hospital my surgeon had put on the scripts and called even(bless his heart) to warn them make sure  things was cool so I wouldn't get glutened by that. So make sure if you are on meds they haven't been possibly cc'd. Also check your tupaware and glassware and if you cook with untreated wood or bamboo you could have it in that as well if there are scratches present.

I know I may sound overkill but I am well past and done with Gluten, to me its as unwanted as a stalker because of all the places it shows up.

Could it be depression? Exercise might help.

Are you eating out? If so stop and eat at home for a few weeks. See if it helps.

Have you checked all meds and supplements for gluten?

#59 LauraTX

LauraTX

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 28 September 2014 - 03:24 PM

Just a note to all reading this thread, it spans back to 2005, so you may want to start a new discussion if you need answers.

I am my husband's "Silly Yak Girl" :)
I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in January 2013. I also have Lupus and Common Variable Immunodeficiency(CVID) for which I am on IVIG.

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#60 JodyM75

JodyM75

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 12:15 PM

This is what helped me to get  some additional energy just after 2 weeks:

1. Zinc

2. Magnesium

3. Selenium

4. Vit D

5. Swedish Bitters

Good luck!

I'm curious:  Swedish Bitters for energy? 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: