This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Has Celiac/ncgi Changed Your Relationship With Food?

BlessedMommy

BlessedMommy Rising Star

I've noticed that since going gluten free, I have a much more survivalistic attitude about eating. I view eating basically as a necessary life activity and often find that I do so a bit mechanically and methodically.

I wonder if some of that stems from having to say no to so many foods and often having to eat very simple foods to avoid being glutened. (it's a good thing that I like plain veggies, baked potatoes, and hummus!) I mean, desserts are not an option at most places, unless I made and brought them for example. Nor can I eat at potlucks, so my meal ends up being simple and quite a few less items than the average person since I brought it all myself.

I've also noticed that I rarely overeat anymore. I'm not sure if wheat actually has any effect on appetite or if that change happened mostly because of the afore mentioned less variety situation.

Has anybody else noticed any changes in how you relate to food?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Jireh Newbie

It's funny that you say these things. I've only been diagnosed for a couple of weeks so I probably haven't changed that much. But I was just telling my wife the other day that I don't eat recreationally or out of boredom any more. And yes, I don't over eat like I used to. In addition to being gluten free, I've also cut out dairy and reduced my soft drinks to about 1/3. So I feel more satisfied and less "stuffed" these days.

Waitingindreams Enthusiast

Yes! Absolutely. I view food so much differently now, especially since the diet I am on (Specific Carbohydrate Diet) is so strict. Now instead of just checking for gluten and soy, I also am wary of additives, artificial sweeteners, fillers, etc. It drives me nuts! Why do they put all of this crap in our food? I cook a lot now, when I'm at my boyfriend's house at least. Simple ingredients. I feel so much better and I like that I know exactly what I'm putting into my body. If something bothers me, it is so much easier to pinpoint. I found that I don't seem to do well with the gums, which is fine because they are illegal on the SCD diet, but so many gluten-free products contain them. Grr! 

I do miss grains. I found an awesome recipe for homemade fried rice...it calls for 1/4 cup of soy sauce, but I can't wait to try it using the coconut aminos! But I know that I can't go back to eating rice the way I used to. Rice was a HUGE staple in my diet..and not just rice, but rice products - rice cakes, tortillas, etc. I need to limit my rice intake to once a week on a cheat day...once I am well enough to have cheat days.

It changed my life so much that I am considering a career change - I am thinking about studying to become a nutritionist/dietitian. I figure I spend so much time researching this on my own as it is. I feel diet plays a HUGE part in our health, and why wouldn't it? Food is our body's only source of fuel...if we're just feeding it artificial crap, sugar, food coloring, msg, etc...why wouldn't we expect issues? Our body can't do anything with that junk.

And mm..hummus...I miss that a lot too. Chickpeas are illegal on this diet, how cruel :'( 

beth01 Enthusiast

I hate food. I didn't go to Thanksgiving with my family because I'm paranoid about food. I did go nuts the other day and make homemade chicken and dumplings, fudge, almond milk ice cream, and chex mix. Otherwise, it's just for necessity. I can't go out to eat, I had a panic attack in the parking lot of the last one we tried. Yup, I hate food lol

moosemalibu Collaborator

Having to eat gluten free.. I reconciled myself with that. It's not that bothersome. The 'I don't know what triggers my colitis' fear.. that is real for me right now.  Worrying that the food I eat will cause a colitis flare up even though its Celiac safe. Fear of food is more my issue right now. I cut out gluten, dairy, eggs and I'm thinking tomatoes/nightshades are next based on my food diary/symptoms. It sucks and I am still grieving over it.

icelandgirl Proficient

Absolutely! I used to be such a foodie. I love to cook, bake, eat, go out to eat, etc. Now I have a lot of fear when it comes to food. I eat to live now...sometimes I ha en to force myself to eat because I really don't get cravings anymore.

bartfull Rising Star

I felt EXACTLY that way before. I notice that most weighing in here about thinking of eating as nothing more than a necessary bodily function are intolerant to lots of other things besides gluten. I was too. But now that I've healed and been able to get most of these foods back I'm having a ball with food. Just yesterday I was looking at the grocery store sales flyer and got all excited because bacon is on sale again. A friend commented that she has never seen anyone get so happy over food.

Oh how I hope it happens for all of you too, and soon. Great big (((((HUGS))))) to all of you and know that it WILL get better.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cyclinglady Grand Master

Having to eat gluten free.. I reconciled myself with that. It's not that bothersome. The 'I don't know what triggers my colitis' fear.. that is real for me right now.  Worrying that the food I eat will cause a colitis flare up even though its Celiac safe. Fear of food is more my issue right now. I cut out gluten, dairy, eggs and I'm thinking tomatoes/nightshades are next based on my food diary/symptoms. It sucks and I am still grieving over it.

It does suck! But.....I can offer some encouragement. My food allergies have diminished greatly. I am tolerating eggs for the first time in my life. I can not over do it (nausea) but the fact I can eat a soft-boiled egg is amazing! I am still allergic to milk (casein) but I am no longer lactose intolerant. Does that make sense? I can consume cheese and some butter now provided that I am taking allergy meds. But all bets are off when Spring arrives. Told this news to my SIL who laughed and reminded me to test when the tree pollen count is high. My brother has the same food allergies as me. His are more severe -- asthma. I just get the itchy eyes, nose congestion, nausea and vomiting. Nothing too severe.

Still allergic to horses and cats. Rode last week and was a bit miserable, but the ride was worth it! Still allergic (who knows?) to NSAIDS, but I am not ever going to challenge those outside of a hospital.

I digress. The point is that you will get better!

Humm....the only foods that cause D for me still are garlic, mushrooms and pineapple. So, it might not be nightshades for you.

JennyD Rookie

To offer some encouragement, I felt the same way at first I hated food and it was a scary thing all of a sudden. I dreaded the holidays, potlucks, get togethers, all of it, I just felt isolated and afraid of what I was eating. I think it was around my 8 month mark after diagnosis that feeling just went away and I have the best relationship with food now. I feel empowered knowing what my digestion issues are and just came to an attitude of "no I wont be afraid and I will enjoy eating/holidays/all of it even if I have to make my own dish". I do a lot of cooking and re-inventing my favorite recipes and make it a point to sit down and enjoy every meal that I can. I still eat out, though I am very picky about the places we go, and hey, my good friends all "get it" so its become a peaceful and fun event again.

I guess my point is, I understand this feeling and I think we all go through it but you can get passed it and find a healthy relationship with food again. *Hugs* to everyone :) stay strong.

nvsmom Community Regular

Not really... I find I just have to plan ahead more, and that is mostly because of my (gluten-free) children - they would never be happy with a salad or skipping a meal if we are out. I end up skipping baked goods, that's all really.

I am more aware of the junk that is put in processed foods now. Being forced to read labels has caused me to realize how many non-food items are in our food.  I eat more organic foods and items with fewer ingredients now.

We also eat out much less. Maybe a couple of times a year.  I miss picking up a pizza on the way home when things are busy, but that's back to planning ahead again.  

icelandgirl Proficient

Nicole, I miss being able to pick up a pizza too.  Especially on busy sports nights, when one kid is at one park and another kid is at a different part.  It was so nice sometimes to pick up a pizza or chick-fil-a on the way home.

Serielda Enthusiast

Absolutly, just the other night my hubby and I was talking about this topic before I saw it here. Going out to get food often leaves me feeling anxious and feeling like a jerk being so quizitive about food, infact I hate to go out for food at a restaurant. Granted there are gluten free menu's but we all know they are only as good as the staff's knowledge and awareness and caring is.  Anymore for me everything is mostly done here minus a few trips to the one place we do go. We got lucky and found a place with a server who is very  good at expressing issues to the cooks and  the few time I was there no incident. But seeing I hate playing the game press your luck with my insides  when dining out,  it is frowned on. Trust me there are days I wish I could say that is it I am not cooking, I have the night off, and so does the hubby when he doesn't want to either.

Going to the grocery has become a game of  how fast can I get an answer from Google or Bing or reading and re reading lables to ensure its safe. Sometimes I feel like that tv character Monk when checking things to ensure they are  safe..

Since having to get rid of all grains I wanted to weep, as most know grains are very heavy in a vegan diet, and  when that news fell I was beyond emo for a while and still trying to accept what is day by day.  Food for me is a love/hate thing.  Granted I have learned to bake and replicate safe versions of some of my favorates, eg chocolate chip bannana bread.  I have to often remind myself at least I am not feeling like sidewalk sludge from bourbon st after mardi gras anymore. I haven't had a pain flair in a while, I can climb stairs at my office building from ground floor to my floor without wanting to cry and fall into a ball on the floor. My migraines are  not so frequent unless i over do something eg push myself to hard studying. Double good news I don't feel like I am living on  tylenol or zyrtec to feel human which is to say joint pain and such is calming down and my allergies is chilling out. 30 days for tylenol( over done the gym a little one day) and  two months and no allergy medications. Only took  a gluten-free elderberry syrup when I had a wicked cold few weeks ago,

beth01 Enthusiast

Absolutly, just the other night my hubby and I was talking about this topic before I saw it here. Going out to get food often leaves me feeling anxious and feeling like a jerk being so quizitive about food, infact I hate to go out for food at a restaurant. Granted there are gluten free menu's but we all know they are only as good as the staff's knowledge and awareness and caring is.  Anymore for me everything is mostly done here minus a few trips to the one place we do go. We got lucky and found a place with a server who is very  good at expressing issues to the cooks and  the few time I was there no incident. But seeing I hate playing the game press your luck with my insides  when dining out,  it is frowned on. Trust me there are days I wish I could say that is it I am not cooking, I have the night off, and so does the hubby when he doesn't want to either.

Going to the grocery has become a game of  how fast can I get an answer from Google or Bing or reading and re reading lables to ensure its safe. Sometimes I feel like that tv character Monk when checking things to ensure they are  safe..

Since having to get rid of all grains I wanted to weep, as most know grains are very heavy in a vegan diet, and  when that news fell I was beyond emo for a while and still trying to accept what is day by day.  Food for me is a love/hate thing.  Granted I have learned to bake and replicate safe versions of some of my favorates, eg chocolate chip bannana bread.  I have to often remind myself at least I am not feeling like sidewalk sludge from bourbon st after mardi gras anymore. I haven't had a pain flair in a while, I can climb stairs at my office building from ground floor to my floor without wanting to cry and fall into a ball on the floor. My migraines are  not so frequent unless i over do something eg push myself to hard studying. Double good news I don't feel like I am living on  tylenol or zyrtec to feel human which is to say joint pain and such is calming down and my allergies is chilling out. 30 days for tylenol( over done the gym a little one day) and  two months and no allergy medications. Only took  a gluten-free elderberry syrup when I had a wicked cold few weeks ago,

I DONT MISS MIGRAINES! Sorry, had to get that point across. I haven't had one in almost nine months after having them for almost 32 years. YAY

notme Experienced

PREACH IT, SISTA!!   i don't miss migraines, either!!!!!!   i haven't even had 'rainbow vision' in nearly 4 years :)  my 'shields' (immune system) is up and running - W00T!  everybody gets the bug that's going around, guess who's got 2 thumbs and isn't sick??  this girl!!  

ya know what really blows my mind?  not that i have a different relationship with food <i do, but it's ok) it is what the heck everybody else is eating!!!  GROSS!  i'm like "what's in that?" and i read a really long label with hardly any words that aren't chemical sounding and artificial this and that - they are busy shoving it into their face.  my neighbor next-door eats so unhealthy and she is always sick.  i'm constantly begging her to be more selective with her diet and explain how food can help you or harm you, but she doesn't listen.  (she is too busy complaining she is sick or her this hurts or her that hurts)  

i was the 'who cares what's in it' type before diagnosis, although i had cut many many things out of my diet in a desperate effort to feel better.  people don't see the cause and effect of what they eat until they need to, i guess?  

bartfull Rising Star

Ain't it the truth! The first time I read the label on a Digourno rising crust pizza I was apauled that I had been eating that on a regular basis. Check this out:

INGREDIENTS

INGREDIENTS: ENRICHED WHEAT FLOUR (WHEAT FLOUR, NIACIN, REDUCED IRON, THIAMIN MONONITRATE, RIBOFLAVIN, FOLIC ACID), WATER, LOW-MOISTURE PART-SKIM MOZZARELLA CHEESE (PART-SKIM MILK, CHEESE CULTURE, SALT, ENZYMES), TOMATO PASTE, COOKED SEASONED PIZZA TOPPING (PORK, WATER, MECHANICALLY SEPARATED CHICKEN, TEXTURED VEGETABLE PROTEIN [sOY PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, CARAMEL COLOR], SPICES, SALT, SUGAR, SODIUM PHOSPHATE, PAPRIKA, PORK FLAVOR [MODIFIED CORN STARCH, PORK FAT, NATURAL FLAVORS, PORK STOCK, GELATIN, AUTOLYZED YEAST EXTRACT, SODIUM PHOSPHATE, THIAMINE
HYDROCHLORIDE, SUNFLOWER OIL, PROPYL GALLATE], CARAMEL COLOR, SPICE EXTRACTIVES, BHA, BHT, CITRIC
ACID. COOKED IN PORK FAT OR BEEF FAT OR VEGETABLE OIL), PEPPERONI MADE WITH PORK, CHICKEN AND BEEF
(PORK, MECHANICALLY SEPARATED CHICKEN, BEEF, SALT, CONTAINS 2% OR LESS OF SPICES, DEXTROSE, PORK
STOCK,LACTIC ACID STARTER CULTURE, OLEORESIN OF PAPRIKA, FLAVORING, SODIUM NITRITE, SODIUM ASCORBATE, PAPRIKA, NATURAL SMOKE FLAVOR, BHA, BHT, CITRIC ACID), COOKED BEEF PIZZA TOPPING (BEEF, WATER, TEXTURED VEGETABLE PROTEIN [sOY PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, CARAMEL COLOR], DEHYDRATED POTATOES WITH SODIUM ACID PYROPHOSPHATE, CONTAINS 2% OR LESS OF: SALT, HYDROLYZED CORN PROTEIN, SOY PROTEIN, AND WHEAT PROTEIN, CORN SYRUP SOLIDS, MALTODEXTRIN, SPICE, GRILL FLAVOR [FROM PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED SOYBEAN AND COTTONSEED OIL], GARLIC POWDER, MODIFIED CORN STARCH. COOKED IN PORK FAT OR BEEF FAT OR VEGETABLE OIL), SUGAR, CONTAINS 2% OR LESS OF WHEAT GLUTEN, VEGETABLE OIL (SOYBEAN OIL AND/OR CORN OIL), DEGERMINATED WHITE CORN MEAL, YEAST, SALT, DEGERMINATED YELLOW CORN MEAL, SEASONING BLEND (SALT, SPICE, DRIED GARLIC), BAKING POWDER (BAKING SODA, SODIUM ALUMINUM PHOSPHATE), DATEM, SODIUM STEAROYL LACTYLATE, ASCORBIC ACID (DOUGH CONDITIONER).

CONTAINS : MILK, SOY, WHEAT
BlessedMommy Rising Star

That is one amazing side effect of being gluten free--I eat much better in general. Less sugar and processed food, more veggies. Most of the processed stuff isn't an option for me, since it has gluten. My theory is that that's why gluten free diets supposedly produce weight loss--it's not the actual lack of gluten, it's all the fattening and processed food that's off limits because of the gluten.

icelandgirl Proficient

Ain't it the truth! The first time I read the label on a Digourno rising crust pizza I was apauled that I had been eating that on a regular basis. Check this out:

INGREDIENTS

INGREDIENTS: ENRICHED WHEAT FLOUR (WHEAT FLOUR, NIACIN, REDUCED IRON, THIAMIN MONONITRATE, RIBOFLAVIN, FOLIC ACID), WATER, LOW-MOISTURE PART-SKIM MOZZARELLA CHEESE (PART-SKIM MILK, CHEESE CULTURE, SALT, ENZYMES), TOMATO PASTE, COOKED SEASONED PIZZA TOPPING (PORK, WATER, MECHANICALLY SEPARATED CHICKEN, TEXTURED VEGETABLE PROTEIN [sOY PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, CARAMEL COLOR], SPICES, SALT, SUGAR, SODIUM PHOSPHATE, PAPRIKA, PORK FLAVOR [MODIFIED CORN STARCH, PORK FAT, NATURAL FLAVORS, PORK STOCK, GELATIN, AUTOLYZED YEAST EXTRACT, SODIUM PHOSPHATE, THIAMINE

HYDROCHLORIDE, SUNFLOWER OIL, PROPYL GALLATE], CARAMEL COLOR, SPICE EXTRACTIVES, BHA, BHT, CITRIC

ACID. COOKED IN PORK FAT OR BEEF FAT OR VEGETABLE OIL), PEPPERONI MADE WITH PORK, CHICKEN AND BEEF

(PORK, MECHANICALLY SEPARATED CHICKEN, BEEF, SALT, CONTAINS 2% OR LESS OF SPICES, DEXTROSE, PORK

STOCK,LACTIC ACID STARTER CULTURE, OLEORESIN OF PAPRIKA, FLAVORING, SODIUM NITRITE, SODIUM ASCORBATE, PAPRIKA, NATURAL SMOKE FLAVOR, BHA, BHT, CITRIC ACID), COOKED BEEF PIZZA TOPPING (BEEF, WATER, TEXTURED VEGETABLE PROTEIN [sOY PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, CARAMEL COLOR], DEHYDRATED POTATOES WITH SODIUM ACID PYROPHOSPHATE, CONTAINS 2% OR LESS OF: SALT, HYDROLYZED CORN PROTEIN, SOY PROTEIN, AND WHEAT PROTEIN, CORN SYRUP SOLIDS, MALTODEXTRIN, SPICE, GRILL FLAVOR [FROM PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED SOYBEAN AND COTTONSEED OIL], GARLIC POWDER, MODIFIED CORN STARCH. COOKED IN PORK FAT OR BEEF FAT OR VEGETABLE OIL), SUGAR, CONTAINS 2% OR LESS OF WHEAT GLUTEN, VEGETABLE OIL (SOYBEAN OIL AND/OR CORN OIL), DEGERMINATED WHITE CORN MEAL, YEAST, SALT, DEGERMINATED YELLOW CORN MEAL, SEASONING BLEND (SALT, SPICE, DRIED GARLIC), BAKING POWDER (BAKING SODA, SODIUM ALUMINUM PHOSPHATE), DATEM, SODIUM STEAROYL LACTYLATE, ASCORBIC ACID (DOUGH CONDITIONER).CONTAINS : MILK, SOY, WHEAT

Wow! I don't even know what half of that is...why would anyone eat it? I used to, of course, but when I look at a label now if it has more than a few ingredients or has things I can't pronounce, I just put it back.
julissa Explorer

wow, that's some list! 

Archived