This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Venting

beth01

beth01 Enthusiast

I just need to vent..

We bought a house from my ex-husband and we were in the middle of a remodel when we discovered that dry wall has gluten in it. I figured this out after I scraped 1200 square feet of a popcorn ceiling. I was covered in that from head to toe. I had a mask on, but I had it everywhere!! Realized something was up when I started feeling really crappy and looked up drywall dust. It took me a good month to recover from that glutening. I had been doing good too, my weight was stable, I was eating, I was feeling better, all that down the drain. I lost 15 pounds, been fainting, my hair started falling out again, ugh. Fast forward to three weeks ago, we move into the new house. Now three weeks later and I feel like complete ass again. My house is making me sick. I had my antibody levels drawn last week and they went up, not much, but they had been almost back to normal when I had them drawn in August. I just don't know what to do. We are going to put hepa filters in our vents, and I'm thinking about someone coming in and professionally cleaning, but we also aren't done with our remodel. I know once the flooring is all in and the trim and every thing is on, a lot more of that dust will get trapped, but we also have a major lack of funds right now due to the sale of our other house falling through. My big worry right now is I know he house is making me sick, what's it doing to my kid? She doesn't get sick like I do, but she also isn't here nearly as often as I am. I'm here 24/7, not working right now due to being so damn sick, and she is here everyday after school but I have 50/50 split with my ex, plus she is in school all day. Thankfully I'm not sick like I would be after eating some gluten, but this is starting to build on me, getting headaches again ( thankfully not migraines), bald patches, constipation, horrible brain fog. I'm starting to think I need a babysitter. I just don't know what to do. I can't just move back to my other house, we out grew it, my kids are too old to keep sharing a room. I just stuck my whole savings into this house, it's right at the end of my ex-husbands drive way, super easy for us with the kids and it's working really well. Especially since I've been so run down the last three months. Just super frustrated right now I guess.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

Usually popcorn ceilings have asbestos in them - much worse than gluten.  Drywall being made of wheat seems to be an odd thing I keep seeing everywhere.  Dry wall is made of gypsum - its a rock ground to a powder.  Could something in this remodel be making you sick?  Sure.  Is it possible they used wheat starch to mix with it?  Maybe.  

beth01 Enthusiast

They use wheat paste in all drywall. It's on the container for the popcorn repair. My dad and brother who are both pipe pitters/ insulators informed me of the wheat paste after the fact. Would have been nice to know before hand lol

flowerqueen Community Regular

I live in the UK and I have also heard that popcorn ceiling has asbestos in.  We covered ours up by screwing a wooden cross section into it and then putting plastic cladding on with sunken lights (It looks way better than it sounds). The only other way to cover popcorn ceiling (we call popcorn ceiling artex) is to skim it,which basically is plastering the ceiling (which yes, does contain gluten  as it's wheat based), and I understand in order for that to stick, it needs to be coated with PVA glue first.

StephanieL Enthusiast

I am really interested in seeing where there is any information that there is gluten in drywall.  I have looked at MSDS info and have never seen it and the "They told me so" isn't reliable.  The dust created would be a potential issue if it's not cleaned up properly (walling it all, using masks if directly working with it and so on).  

kareng Grand Master

I am really interested in seeing where there is any information that there is gluten in drywall. I have looked at MSDS info and have never seen it and the "They told me so" isn't reliable. The dust created would be a potential issue if it's not cleaned up properly (walling it all, using masks if directly working with it and so on).

Me too! I have looked and even asked and not found wheat in these things. It seems to be an older house.... But I would still be more concerned with the fact that they took the asbestos popcorn ceiling off without the proper precautions.
notme Experienced

we are remodeling (constantly!  stupid old house!)  and i always feel the most ill when i'm writing the check  :D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

icelandgirl Proficient

I'm so sorry. (((Hugs))). I wish I had some good answers for you, but I just don't. I hope things get better for you.

beth01 Enthusiast

I can't find an MSDS for the materials used in the building of this home considering it is an older home ( older than I am). I took the word of someone ( and multiple others, the contractor that put in my windows and doors for one) that has been working with building products for the last 40 years, that yes materials used for building were known to have wheat in them, adhesives for wall paper ( I removed that also) joint compounds, mudding and dry wall. Took the word of my little brother who has only been doing this for the last ten years but needs to know what building materials WERE made from for safety issues since he works in a lot of older buildings. If you would like Stephanie, I can try and rip up my walls and find the manufacturer of the components used in my house so it can be properly researched since I can't go back in time and have them think of MSDS before now. We completely gutted this house, ripped up flooring, took off wallpaper ( every inch of the house was covered with it), scraped the ceiling along with fixing water damaged spots, all new windows and doors. I didn't drape the walls before I scrapped the ceiling, the house was completely gutted, I wasn't worried about it on the floor but I did cover the vents.

As to the implications that I didn't take the proper precautions or put my child in harms way, I believe in my post I stated I was wearing a mask, sorry I didn't elaborate to the fact that it was a ventilator and I had on safety glasses, the only thing I was missing was a space suit. I also don't remember stating that I had my child in here during the remodeling, we just moved in three weeks ago. While we aren't done with the remodel, my bathroom is the only place not finished and my child isn't allowed in there. We have cleaned the house many times, it was primed floor to ceiling twice after the ceiling was scraped and got two coats of paint, along with new carpet and hard wood floors being laid. The dust keeps popping up and I don't know where it's coming from.

Thank you guys for reminding me why I don't post anymore, I had forgotten how much fun it was to be treated like an idiot.

StephanieL Enthusiast

I was honestly asking a question. I am sorry if that was offensive. I am also sorry you feel so defensive as I never said nor implied you weren't taking care of your child. 

mbrookes Community Regular

Sorry, dear, but you are over-reacting. I didn't read anyone "treating you like an idiot". Try to calm down and re-read the posts. Or just forget the whole thing and go take a nap.

kareng Grand Master

Sorry. I was concerned with the removal of these popcorn ceilings that often contain asbestos. It's isnt just about wearing a mask.

Open Original Shared Link

"Don't saw, sand, scrape, or drill holes in asbestos materials."

"Major repairs must be done only by a professional trained in methods for safely handling asbestos."

"Doing minor repairs yourself is not recommended since improper handling of asbestos materials can create a hazard where none existed. If you nevertheless choose to do minor repairs, you should have as much information as possible on the handling of asbestos before doing anything. Contact your state or local health department or regional EPA office for information about asbestos training programs in your area. Your local school district may also have information about asbestos professionals and training programs for school buildings. Even if you have completed a training program, do not try anything more than minor repairs. Before undertaking minor repairs, carefully examine the area around the damage to make sure it is stable. As a general matter, any damaged area which is bigger than the size of your hand is not a minor repair."

beth01 Enthusiast

Sorry, dear, but you are over-reacting. I didn't read anyone "treating you like an idiot". Try to calm down and re-read the posts. Or just forget the whole thing and go take a nap.

That is because comments were edited and no longer reflect the offending comment. I don't need a nap.

Stephanie, I'm sorry but I read yours and Karen's comments at the same time and I had a hot head. I asked many people about this before I ever mentioned it on here, most people that are in the building business and have been for years. I looked at posts on here and researched high and low, some members that are still active on here have had the same things happen. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong, i'm not trying to put gluten were it isn't. My diet is 100% gluten free, I haven't eaten anywhere other than home because I'm paranoid by food, I only eat whole foods, the only things I'm not doing is grinding my own rice for flour :) I know I'm getting it from somewhere, I feel like crap since I moved in here and I was feeling better previously.

beth01 Enthusiast

we are remodeling (constantly!  stupid old house!)  and i always feel the most ill when i'm writing the check   :D

That was why we had to do so much ourselves, but we couldn't live in the tiny house we were in and this is so handy. Thankfully my ex and I get along so well to live so close :)

beth01 Enthusiast

I'm so sorry. (((Hugs))). I wish I had some good answers for you, but I just don't. I hope things get better for you.

Thanks for the hugs. Miss our chats, hope things are well with you also.

RMJ Mentor

Must be very frustrating to have your new house make you sick. I hope you can get rid of the dust and/or find another cause soon.

GFinDC Veteran

Good heavens, you aren't grinding your own rice flour yet!  Eeek!  :D  Just kidding, it sounds like you are doing things pretty darn right to me.  I am sorry you are feeling poorly.  I know they used wheat paste for wall paper in the past,  Wheat paste is cheap and easy to make.  I wouldn't be surprised at all if they used wheat in other building products in the past or even currently.  Heck, they used to put horse hair in plaster after all.

I know what you mean about dust getting everywhere during remodeling.  I just finished remodeling my house and sold it recently.  I went for the professional cleaning crew myself, but I have no idea how good a job they did as I was gone by the time they showed up.  If it was warm weather you could try opening all the windows and putting a box fan in some of them, and then sweeping or vacumming the whole place, and then mopping.

I wonder if a hot shower would open up your sinuses and get any residual dust out?

Anyway, I hope you feel better soon and your dust problems end.

notme Experienced

That was why we had to do so much ourselves, but we couldn't live in the tiny house we were in and this is so handy. Thankfully my ex and I get along so well to live so close :)

usually, it is a check to lowes haha - my husband is handy and has done most of the work.  thank goodness!  because the last 3 times we hired someone to do something (1. finish the exterior painting on the upper levels because the hubs keeps falling off the ladder, plus he already had to finish re-roofing the carriage house and get rid of that redneck tarp that you could see from space, 2.  clean and service the boiler, 3.  do the sub-floor and lay new vinyl flooring)  they failed miserably and i still was out the $$ !!  (1.  paid the guy the rest of the quoted price after he was halfway done with the job and he never showed up to finish painting, 2. furnace guy had NO CLUE how to adjust our boiler, so after he left, the furnace ran and ran and ran.  and then shut off, snuffing out the pilot i had to call him back and they had the balls to tell me it was after hours and i would be paying $80/hr for him to come back NOOOOOO it worked fine before you got here!  had to get husband to change out the thermocoupler himself ANYWAY geez it took him all of 15 min and the thing has stopped short-cycling, 3.  paid LOWES for my new kitchen floor and for installation - they sent Bobby Miami and his two cousinbrothers - it looks like the dad gum mojave desert, complete with mounds of glue lumps under the vinyl - so they came back and CUT SLICES IN IT - ummmmm.  no.  so, they tried to tell me they would re-lay the same flooring i was like NO FNG WAY this stuff is warranteed for life and your ahole crew just cut holes in it!!!!!  now, i can't see where they cut it, but i'm sure water could find it's way to the sub-floor.  ennnnt.  wronggggg.  they are coming back after the holidays with brand-y new-y vinyl-y :)  

you are better off doing it yourself!!!!!!!   and, i hear ya, it's lucky you get along with your ex if he is that helpful!!  :)  fwiw, we were warned that it would be dangerous (asbestos-wise) to pull up a floor that was installed before a certain date, and they checked for lead (house built in 1896) and test was neg.  

i'm swearing off hiring anybody else but the old man.  i pay him in 'trade' LOLOLZ  ;)

beth01 Enthusiast

Must be very frustrating to have your new house make you sick. I hope you can get rid of the dust and/or find another cause soon.

Thank you.

beth01 Enthusiast

Good heavens, you aren't grinding your own rice flour yet!  Eeek!  :D  Just kidding, it sounds like you are doing things pretty darn right to me.  I am sorry you are feeling poorly.  I know they used wheat paste for wall paper in the past,  Wheat paste is cheap and easy to make.  I wouldn't be surprised at all if they used wheat in other building products in the past or even currently.  Heck, they used to put horse hair in plaster after all.

I know what you mean about dust getting everywhere during remodeling.  I just finished remodeling my house and sold it recently.  I went for the professional cleaning crew myself, but I have no idea how good a job they did as I was gone by the time they showed up.  If it was warm weather you could try opening all the windows and putting a box fan in some of them, and then sweeping or vacumming the whole place, and then mopping.

I wonder if a hot shower would open up your sinuses and get any residual dust out?

Anyway, I hope you feel better soon and your dust problems end.

I actually haven't tackled too much baking in the last 8 months. I haven't been the most excited about food. I'm getting there though. I'm researching bread and pizza crust recipes right now. I've been slowly making my own spice blends, condiments, and so on. Being soy, gluten, lactose free and egg light, it's difficult finding foods in the store. I've made three batches of homemade ice cream the last few weeks so Almond Milk and I have become great friends. Even learned how to make my own evaporated and sweetened consented ( as my daughter calls it lol) milk. A friend of mine grows a garden right up the hill at my ex-husbands house I I'm definitely going to have to get in on some of the space next summer. Next thing you know I will be raising animals, lol.... I am living on a farm..

We have been cleaning like mad here ( when I say we, I mean my BF lol). I'm going to get the duct work blown and cleaned, we just really need our other house to sell, nothing is going to get finished until that happens.

beth01 Enthusiast

usually, it is a check to lowes haha - my husband is handy and has done most of the work.  thank goodness!  because the last 3 times we hired someone to do something (1. finish the exterior painting on the upper levels because the hubs keeps falling off the ladder, plus he already had to finish re-roofing the carriage house and get rid of that redneck tarp that you could see from space, 2.  clean and service the boiler, 3.  do the sub-floor and lay new vinyl flooring)  they failed miserably and i still was out the $$ !!  (1.  paid the guy the rest of the quoted price after he was halfway done with the job and he never showed up to finish painting, 2. furnace guy had NO CLUE how to adjust our boiler, so after he left, the furnace ran and ran and ran.  and then shut off, snuffing out the pilot i had to call him back and they had the balls to tell me it was after hours and i would be paying $80/hr for him to come back NOOOOOO it worked fine before you got here!  had to get husband to change out the thermocoupler himself ANYWAY geez it took him all of 15 min and the thing has stopped short-cycling, 3.  paid LOWES for my new kitchen floor and for installation - they sent Bobby Miami and his two cousinbrothers - it looks like the dad gum mojave desert, complete with mounds of glue lumps under the vinyl - so they came back and CUT SLICES IN IT - ummmmm.  no.  so, they tried to tell me they would re-lay the same flooring i was like NO FNG WAY this stuff is warranteed for life and your ahole crew just cut holes in it!!!!!  now, i can't see where they cut it, but i'm sure water could find it's way to the sub-floor.  ennnnt.  wronggggg.  they are coming back after the holidays with brand-y new-y vinyl-y :)  

you are better off doing it yourself!!!!!!!   and, i hear ya, it's lucky you get along with your ex if he is that helpful!!   :)  fwiw, we were warned that it would be dangerous (asbestos-wise) to pull up a floor that was installed before a certain date, and they checked for lead (house built in 1896) and test was neg.  

i'm swearing off hiring anybody else but the old man.  i pay him in 'trade' LOLOLZ   ;)

I'm glad we did the work ourselves, for one we couldn't afford to pay someone, and two it was rewarding for me to accomplish something when I've felt so useless without working the last nine months. The only thing I wasn't going to tackle was the windows. I paid someone for that. We still have a floor to lay in our bathroom but are having problems trying to figure out what to do with the tub. There is a garden tub in the bathroom, octagon shaped with a round surround that was carpeted. OMG ICK. We are trying to figure out if we want to build a new surround or rip the tub out completely and put a new one in. Can't finish the floor until the tub is squared away ( literally, the new surround would actually have flat sides not rounded lol) can't do that until that darn house sells. It's a vicious cycle!

icelandgirl Proficient

Thanks for the hugs. Miss our chats, hope things are well with you also.

Hey girl...I'm always available for hugs and a chat.  :)   This site doesn't e-mail me anymore when I get a message, but I check in regularly.

Please don't let anyone stop you from posting on this site...you are caring and intelligent and have a lot to offer others.  You have helped me many times!

Archived