This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Shared Kitchen With Landlord Who Loves To Bake

Imarmole

Imarmole Newbie

Hi, I'm new to the forum so I don't know if I'm posing this in the right category. I've only been living at my current place for a little over a month and I'm already thinking I might have to move out. I've been gluten-free for over a year, but I am self-diagnosed celiac disease or gluten sensitive from doing the elimination diet. The problem is that I've become more and more sensitive the longer I remain gluten-free (and now dairy and soy free since I react to those too). I would love to get a proper diagnosis but I have heard that you have to be eating gluten to get diagnosed and any amount of gluten is not an option for me. Anyway, to my horror and dismay I walked into my landlord's kitchen to find dozens and dozens of cupcakes and a few cakes made from scratch. Even from my room, I could smell it and new that it was going to be a problem. I have read about being glutened from airborne flour and I have experienced it myself when I worked (for one day) at a Thai Food restaurant. I got a reaction from being in a gluten-filled environment but I don't know if it was through contact or by breathing it in, probably both. Anyway, I spent the whole day in my room being afraid to go into the kitchen. I opened by bedroom window but had to close it when it got cold. Finally, I had to go into the kitchen to get something to eat but even before then I was already experiencing symptoms so it must've been just from smelling in my room. Unfortunately, I don't have a doctor's note to show my landlord to get her to stop baking, I don't know If she even would. For example, if I had a proper diagnoses would she legally be required to not bake? Anyway, I talked to her and she was understanding but since she is the owner of the house she feels entitled to continue to bake if that is her wish. She said she would warn me when she is going to bake but that means I'll have to stay in my room or leave for at least 24 hrs. and still risk cross-contamination since I am so sensitive. I don't have enough money to get my own place, I am a full-time student in a teaching credential program and I've had to move way too many times for different reasons so all I could do was cry because I'll probably have to move again :/

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cyclinglady Grand Master

It was cookie day at my S I L's house. Over 500 rolled out sugar cookies were made and the flour dust was flying. She has a big kitchen and I sat in the eating area, at least 8 feet away. I never walked through the kitchen. Hubby stayed in the living room playing poker. We ate our own food and gluten-free cookies I had made from home. We did NOT get glutened.

Just smelling the baked cookies is not going to harm you. Swallowing wheat flour dust will!

Stay away from the kitchen when your landlord is baking. Wear slippers around the house, but do not wear them into your room.

Get a little ice chest and stash some food in it to eat in your room on baking days. Unless she is rolling and kneading flour, I would not worry as much.

Be careful about preparing your food in the kitchen afterwards and try to use your own plates, pots, etc.

I keep a plastic bin of cooking things in my room at my Mom's house when we are visiting . My stuff is clearly marked.

As long as your landlord is tidy, I think you can work it out. I baked for years before my diagnosis but had to be careful because my husband had been gluten free for over a decade. I did not gluten him with my baking. But I am pretty neat and tidy!

Imarmole Newbie

Thanks for your response! I'm going to try all of your suggestions, see if we are able to work it out. Luckily, I already bought a mini icebox for a trip that I took so that should work. As long and we are in communication and super careful, I might avoid cross-contamination when she bakes. I decided to try it out next time see if I can avoid it. It's just that I barely stepped into the kitchen before I realized what was going on. At that point it must've been too late. I'll try to keep in mind what you said about smelling it because sometimes being able to smell it makes me paranoid.

1desperateladysaved Proficient

Perhaps you have an allergy to gluten/wheat and such.  If you do, the smell can cause a reaction as it does me.  You may be able to stay in your room with a mask during any baking.  Possibly use an air filter of some kind and any other precautions you can think of.

cyclinglady Grand Master

So, true. My advice was strictly from a viewpoint of celiac disease and not a wheat allergy.

I confess I do take an anti-histamine when I go to my SIL's house because of her cat!

Archived