This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Soaps Shampoos & Things

Claire

Claire Collaborator

Something to check out:

Gluten-Free Savonnerie - Premier source for gluten free soaps.

Open Original Shared Link

Enjoy. Claire

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Noelle126 Apprentice

Thanks for posting this! For convenience alone this is great! No checking labels over and over and over again. :)

jerseyangel Proficient

I've been using their shampoo, conditioner, premium bar soap and lotion for a couple of weeks now. I've been very happy with them. I live in NJ and my order arrived in 2 days. It does make it a lot easier--I found I was spending a lot on trying different things that weren"t agreeing with my increasingly sensitive skin (a lot more so since going gluten-free). With my first order, they included a coupon for a free bar of soap!!

terri Contributor

I ordered the bar soap, liquid soap, lotion and bubble bath. I love everything but the bubble bath which didn't work. My hands (which were covered with cracks and eczema stuff and really in bad shape) cleared up within days! I am sold. Next I want to try the shampoo and conditioner if it's safe for color treated hair. I got the coupon too! :D

jerseyangel Proficient

Terri, I have color treated hair (more than a few grays :( ) and I don't find it fades the color--actually, my hair is really shiny. I plan to keep using it.

terri Contributor

That's good to know. I have been using TEX and K-PAC and wrote to both companies. Artec which makes TEX is owned by L'Oreal and they called me and said they would send me a list of ingredients and to take it to my doctor to see if it has gluten or not. Now, I didn't realize my doctor is also a chemist! ;) So, guess I'll scratch them off my list. K-Pac never even responded and I wrote them twice. I have been using them as when I read the ingredients I don't see any mention of wheat, but after getting the list from Mary Kay of possible wheat containing words, I am really unsure. Someone posted a list of Paul Mitchell gluten-free shampoos and stuff so I will give them a try too. But to have something that you really don't have to worry about would be great. What do you use to wash your face?

jerseyangel Proficient

I use the Honeydew Cleanser by MyChelle (800-447-2076 for a catalogue) that I get at Whole Foods. They do not use any gluten in their products--I spoke to a rep. there--and use good ingred. such as honey enzymes and fruit and seaweed extracts. Its not cheap but I love the way my face feels-not too dry and no redness which I get from a lot of products.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

terri Contributor

Thank you! I'm a Whole Foods junkie and will pick some up!

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

Thanks for all the info.

Just ordered the lotion, shampo and conditioner.

Can't wait to get it and try it. My hair is also dyed. During the last apt, ck'd the ingredients of the shampo and conditioner as my head was on fire...never happened before when they used the shampo....told them to stop and read me to ingredients, shampo had 4 wheat ingr and 3 in conditioner...I'm learning so much and I thank you all for educating me and helping me have the confidence to speak up in instances such as this....Just when I feel I'm getting a better handle on the food (Only 15 weeks gluten-free) I now have another area to research....thanks for the short cut :) Judy

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

I just got my order today. Only placed the order on line 2 days ago.

Tried the body lotion and LOVE IT.

Thanks for the info.

Judy

jerseyangel Proficient

Glad you got your order so fast and that you're happy with it :)

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

I found I was spending a lot on trying different things that weren"t agreeing with my increasingly sensitive skin (a lot more so since going gluten-free).

I keep seeing on line that people's sensitivities to other foods and personal care products are causing them problems that were not there before going gluten-free. I know people have given their ideas on 'why' this is, but I'm still confused as i would think that I should be getting healthier as the weeks go on?

Can you shed and opinion on why this is?

Judy

Judyin Philly Enthusiast
Glad you got your order so fast and that you're happy with it :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I just posted a responce and 'quoted' your previous post re: increased sensitivities since going gluten-free but looked like it was from me. I STILL DON'T HAVE THE HANG OF THESE RESPONCES....AND HOW TO DO IT CORRECTLY. Sorry about the jerseyangel...

Judy in Philly

jerseyangel Proficient

Judy, I don't know why some of us seem to become more sensitive after going gluten-free. As for getting healthier, I have to say that, for me, that is happening--slowly! My D, anxiety, mental clarity, easy brusing and nausea are greatly improved (unless, of course, accidently glutened). Other things like fatigue, muscle pain in my neck, gas and bloating are still with me. Maybe its the healing process or the fact that in my case I was sick for 20 years before being gluten-free and my body is just dealing with not having to deal with it--if that makes any sense at all :huh: BTW, I still haven't figured out how to do a "quote".

Judyin Philly Enthusiast
Judy, I don't know why some of us seem to become more sensitive after going gluten-free.  As for getting healthier, I have to say that, for me, that is happening--slowly!  My D, anxiety, mental clarity, easy brusing and nausea are greatly improved (unless, of course, accidently glutened).  Other things like fatigue, muscle pain in my neck, gas and bloating are still with me.  Maybe its the healing process or the fact that in my case I was sick for 20 years before being gluten-free and my body is just dealing with not having to deal with it--if that makes any sense at all :huh:  BTW, I still haven't figured out how to do a "quote".

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for the supportive words. It's been 17 weeks for me. The first month I was so much better that I knew it was a true 'miracle' I didn't have the fibromyalgia pain, didn't have the explosive D that I couldn't control. (that is 100% gone)..:)didn't even use my cane most days, so much energy and no brain fog...I think i was so focused on just my 'celiac disease' program and keeping a daily food diary so i'd know if i had a problem I could figure it out......, maybe I took it for granted...

Last 3 weeks have not eating breakfast and sometimes skipping lunch...still gluten-free but not really feeding my body or keeping my gut in a routine....I have been focusing since Friday on eating on a regular basis and and hope that will help. I know I've been undx'd for at least 20 years.....just said it was IBS....

This forum has really given me so much information...I'm so greatfull.

Is there a spell ck on this posting site...I sure could use one.

Judy

armoorefam Newbie

My husband and daughter have always had trouble with their scalps. I never, ever thought about gluten being in their shampoo! Is there a list of what chemicals in the indgredient listing that I need to look for? I strongly suspect our brand now that I realize shampoos can contain gluten.

I bet his soap is good though. My husband used to have a good bit of trouble with his skin, but it is so much improved since he switched from an anitbacterial soap to Dove brand bath soap. His skin is baby soft. Even the chiropractor's personnel have commented about how unusually soft it is. He still has dry areas on the inside of the bends of the arms and on the knuckles during very cold weather (he works in outdoor conditions in the winter), but everywhere else it is wonderful. Dove must be gluten free to have been such a remarkably positive impact on his skin.

Judyin Philly Enthusiast
My husband and daughter have always had trouble with their scalps. I never, ever thought about gluten being in their shampoo! Is there a list of what chemicals in the indgredient listing that I need to look for? I strongly suspect our brand now that I realize shampoos can contain gluten.

I bet his soap is good though. My husband used to have a good bit of trouble with his skin, but it is so much improved since he switched from an anitbacterial soap to Dove brand bath soap. His skin is baby soft. Even the chiropractor's personnel have commented about how unusually soft it is. He still has dry areas on the inside of the bends of the arms and on the knuckles during very cold weather (he works in outdoor conditions in the winter), but everywhere else it is wonderful. Dove must be gluten free to have been such a remarkably positive impact on his skin.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

from what i've read here everyone seems to say Dove is the best soap.

I think i saw a list here somewhere. Maybe you can do a 'search' for dove soap and the list will apprear in some of the emails. If i find a list, i'll forward to you

ok?

Judy

debbiewil Rookie

Thanks Claire,

This is great. I admit, I was feeling overwhelmed by trying to find all gluten free items. I just about got the foods down, and was not looking forward to soaps, etc. Mostly, I just threw everything out that said wheat, barley or rye, and was using only a couple of things with no obvious gluten and doing without if I didn't have anything - I haven't been using moisturizer, because mine had wheat, and I haven't had time to spend an hour or so in the store reading ingredients on all the skin creams. So this was great information. I ordered it Thursday, came in on Saturday, and I've been using it for two days. Love the shampoo and conditioner. The bubble bath doesn't bubble, but it does give the water a milky soft feel, so I can live with it. I got all three kinds of soap, but have only opened one bar yet - the classic. Feels good and clean.

What I really liked was that they use no perfumes. I have asthma, and I hate it when I open a new box or jar of something and get a faceful of scent. I can be wheezing for a hour after. It seems strange not to have the soaps scented, but it's so nice, since I know it won't be bothering my asthma.

Thanks so much for posting this site.

Now, any recommendations for laundry and cleaning supplies?

Debbie

jerseyangel Proficient

Dove soap is definately gluten free. I called the co.--I use the bar for sensitive skin as well as the gluten-free Sav. bar soap. Like them both. For laundry, I use Purex Free & Clear (in the white jug). I called that co. also and was told it was gluten-free.

Claire Collaborator

Take a look at this website. Read the disclaimer carefully. This is a guideline and not to be taken as a guarantee that thee listed products are gluten-free. You still need to check it out. It does though provide a good starting place.

Open Original Shared Link

I will start a new topic for this. Claire

debbiewil Rookie

Thanks jerseyangel.

And thanks for the site Claire. I don't mind reading a few bottles - if I know Brands A, B, and C are supposed to be gluten free, I'll check before I buy. But just looking down the aisle at the 40 or so brands the store carries, and thinking that I might have to read EVERY one to find one that's gluten free - well, I just haven't even started!

Debbie

Archived