This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

This Is Why Corn Causes Gluten Like Symptoms

glutensucks

glutensucks Newbie

There was a documentary on netflix I watch I believe it was called "corn nation" something about corn. The guy showed how they have added the wheat gean to the corn as a way to make bugs not want to eat the corn.. He goes on to show an underground bunker where government has 1000's of varieties of corn stored in jars.. He asked the one in charge she said they new they (GMO companies) were modifying the gean or gen ( can't spell today) and they were protecting the original in case it made it uneatable and might pollinate other crops killing off corn.. He then went on talking about how even corn is feed to cattle because so many farmers started growing it.. That explains the dairy reactions too

• 2 weeks later...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

glutensucks Newbie

Correction its a film called king corn. I know I react to corn chips the cheapest ones from Walmart.. Maybe I am just allergic to Walmart :)

1desperateladysaved Proficient

Corn makes me bloat and swell (similar to gluten reaction) I suggest staying away from corn (since you have this problem) and all products made with it; which is a large task.  There are many names for corn and its derivatives; many medications include it.  You know that it is possible corn chips have wheat, but I guess you checked that?  I have heard that corn is hard to digest and found it true for me.  GMO (genetically modified) is a whole other argument I don't know too much about it.  It is easiest to avoid corn while eating meats and vegetables, I think.

Dee

w8in4dave Community Regular

I stay away from corn as much as possible! Sometimes if it's the last thing on the list I will try a bit of a taste of something but for the most part stay away from it! I think thats why I lost 50 lbs. I always was struggling to stay 200. lbs after going gluten-free I was still having so many problems! Then I learned after eating corn chips, bloating, gas and restroom problems it was the corn. Made since when I went out to eat I always had to run to the restroom. Because thats the only time I'd have a coke. Now I order Hot tea. I do not trust Iced tea sometimes Restaurants get in in pre made and it has HFCS in it. Been there even after they told me they made it. Pfftt! Most of the time I bring my own tea bags.

• 2 months later...
jgr1998 Newbie

Well Dang! That really is some news I didn't want to hear about corn?  Why did they have to go and mess with something good? We don't eat large amounts of corn at my house because my daughter has Fructose Malabsorbtion and it causes her to bloat. I guess I won't be buying anymore corn. Does that even include the corn you grow yourself? Ugh!

bartfull Rising Star

There are many, many, in fact MOST, celiacs who can eat corn with no problem. I used to have bad reactions to corn myself, but now that my gut finally healed I can eat it again. Now don't get me wrong, I do not like the very idea of genetically modified foods, but I am absolutely sure that there is no wheat gluten in corn, any more than there is gluten in blueberries or almonds or any of the other many foods that made me sick before my gut healed. (I can eat them all now.)

And the reason celiacs have trouble with dairy is simply because the part of our bodies that produce the enzyme that digest dairy is the part of us that is damaged. It has nothing whatsoever to do with what the cows eat.

I'd love to find out who the maker of this movie is and what his/her credentials are.

• 2 weeks later...
MycasMommy Enthusiast

Being corn free has proved almost more difficult than being gluten free... or actually... they are equally as hard, and double so when you cannot digest either.... Bartfull has me hopeful that this too shall pass. hahah  :D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

badcasper Explorer

I don't eat a lot of corn but I do like it and don't have any issues with it.  I love the corn tacos and I put corn in my soup all the time.

larry mac Enthusiast

Just my opinion, this is nonsense. There's no wheat, barley, or rye in corn. It's perfectly safe for Celiacs.

best regards, larry mac

MycasMommy Enthusiast

Just my opinion, this is nonsense. There's no wheat, barley, or rye in corn. It's perfectly safe for Celiacs.

best regards, larry mac

I think we are all aware of that.  Some people (like myself) have so much damage by the time we know what is wrong that corn is undigestable. Time to heal before being able to keep it down seems to be quite common amoungst us. Some people have no problem, some do. 

Archived