This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten Challenge Worse Than Previous Symptoms?

targetsgirl

targetsgirl Newbie

Hi everyone, I am currently doing a 6 week gluten challenge before endoscopy.  My bloodwork in October was negative, but I had been gluten light for about a year before the blood test.  I did try to eat gluten for about a month before the bloodwork, but my current doc said that may not have been enough.  I did test positive for both genes.  Since I felt so much better when gluten light, I decided to go completely gluten free.  I have been so since.  I saw marked improvement in almost all of my symptoms.

GI distress 

anxiety

brain fog

tingling hands and feet

trichotillomania

insomnia

food cravings

severe edema

irregular menses

I have had a lifelong intolerance to dairy, suspect nightshade intolerance as well.  I have struggled with anemia for about 15 year.

A few people in my extended family have been diagnosed Celiac in the last couple of years.  This, in addition to the gene testing, and my marked improvement when Gluten free, led my doctor to refer me to a gastro for an endoscopy.  So here we go again with a gluten challenge.  

I am 3 days in, and most of my symptoms have returned.  The edema, brain fog, anxiety, and food cravings are worse than ever before.  The edema is so bad that I am wearing clothes a full size larger than usual, I can't wear my rings, and my running shoes no longer fit.  I'm assuming I also have other shoes that won't fit...  Brain fog so bad that I couldn't recall my own phone number yesterday, and I am even having a hard time trying to type something coherent here.  I was reading a research article related to my job the other day.  When I picked it up this morning, I could barely muddle through it.  I have no recollection of what I read!  

Is it common for my symptoms to be worse after being gluten free?  I was only gluten free for a little over two months.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cyclinglady Grand Master

Well....your symptoms during the challenge could be worse, or maybe you just got used to them before. Now they are more pronounced. One reason those of us with celiac disease or NCGI avoid gluten in even the tiniest amounts!

Good luck on your challenge!

BlessedMommy Rising Star

My symptoms were definitely worse during my challenge than they were before. They were also different--that was the first time that I got headaches associated with gluten. Good luck to you and I hope you find answers.

nvsmom Community Regular

Some are worse and some aren't - it really varies between people.

Good luck with it!

1desperateladysaved Proficient

I would keep a record of your symptoms and make sure to present these to the doctor as you go.  Possibly you could keep track of your weight, blood pressure, and any other objective number that may help back up what you are saying.  I hope you will get some definitive answers.

Dee

Archived