This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Vegetarian Roll Call!

BlessedMommy

BlessedMommy Rising Star

I know that there's quite a few of us here. :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kenlove Rising Star

I'm vegan -- 5 years and counting 

I know that there's quite a few of us here. :)

• 2 weeks later...
CeliacAndrew Newbie

I just joined the celiac.com forum, but you can count me in  :)

I'm vegan -- 5 years and counting 

I became a vegan 3 years ago but am not right now. I introduced eggs back into my diet last year, it's hard while being a student! I'll eat dairy out of convenience too but avoid it when cooking myself. It's only a matter of time before my life slows down enough to go back to it :)

• 1 month later...
angelcots Newbie

Hello! I've been a vegetarian for a year and a half. ;)

• 2 months later...
xxrandomnessxx Newbie

Only in testing for celiac atm, but vegan here! I was a vegetarian for seven years and recently (nine months ago) went vegan. I couldn't live with myself if my lifestyle choices killed animals!

• 4 months later...
SuzieQ1234 Newbie

I have been vegetarian for 18mths now and feel better for it.

foam Apprentice

I was vegan for 20 years. Hardened strict, saving the world and all that. MAJOR mistake for HLA gene Europeans. Some people thrive as a vegetarian some get ill. If you are not a glowing eyes example with perfect thick skin Id be getting onto a fat based diet before serious damage is done. Some genetic groups just dont do well with the heightened legume and grain consumption and will certainly accerate celiac disease onset if you have the genes. Celiac disease is very common amoung vegans.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

I was vegan for 20 years. Hardened strict, saving the world and all that. MAJOR mistake for HLA gene Europeans. Some people thrive as a vegetarian some get ill. If you are not a glowing eyes example with perfect thick skin Id be getting onto a fat based diet before serious damage is done. Some genetic groups just dont do well with the heightened legume and grain consumption and will certainly accerate celiac disease onset if you have the genes. Celiac disease is very common amoung vegans.

Where did this info come from? Being a vegan " accerate" celiac disease?

kenlove Rising Star

Many  go vegan because of celiac disease and the other problems it can cause.

• 2 weeks later...
Greens Newbie

Just joined the forum... feel like I'm late to the party.

Gluten free 3 years with a 2 week slip up about a year ago.  Dang ciabatta bread!  Vegan for 28 years.  For me the thought of eating/drinking animal parts is similar to most people's reaction if presented a bug to munch on.  Big difference is they are ecofriendly, sustainable, lean source of protein.  All those folks who want to go on about all the protein they think they need.... 

• 2 months later...
Charli61 Apprentice

Vegetarian for about 25  years, give or take.  I do eat eggs and dairy and honey, so it's a lot easier for me than going Vegan.  I support local family farms for my eggs and dairy, so it's at least cruelty free.  I had it much easier before I became Celiac (probably happened 10 years ago, but only diagnosed about 3 or 4 years ago)  The mainstream vegetarian substitutes for meat seemed to all contain gluten until a year ago... Not sure if that is actually a true statement elsewhere, but the small town I live in was that way.  Anyway it's always nice to hear other people's histories a little. 

• 9 months later...
dustinhxc Newbie

Vegan with celiac here! My wife is a vegan and gluten free as well. (She doesn't have celiac) 

• 7 months later...
buddyspal Rookie

I see the original post, and most replies, are old, but I thought I would weigh in as a vegetarian... for almost 25 years now.  I wish you all good health!  :)

exseitanist Rookie
On 4/23/2017 at 8:11 PM, buddyspal said:

I see the original post, and most replies, are old, but I thought I would weigh in as a vegetarian... for almost 25 years now.  I wish you all good health!  :)

Similarly, I've been vegetarian for 25+ years.  A 2015 Nature study connecting emulsifiers with microbiome changes has me wondering about the processed foods that I ate in the past, and I wonder about the wisdom of eating as much seitan as I did.  I mostly prefer my post-diagnosis diet since it forces me to consider every ingredient and to cook from scratch more.

egs1707 Enthusiast

Vegetarian here too, celiac really makes it tough as all the Quorn meat replacement products bar the odd one or two are out :(

Then there's all the scare sites saying only paleo type diets will repair your insides but guess what they're all heavily meat / fish based.

@Ennis_TX has some good ideas for meals :)

• 2 months later...
rehh05 Apprentice

I am celiac and trying to transition to a vegan/vegetarian diet. I've been gluten free for about ten years. I've just started introducing vegetarian dishes and phasing out meat/egg based ones in my family. My problem is that my tummy is not adjusting to the transition. Any idea how long it will take my insides to adjust to the different foods? I have not even really started with legumes yet in a major way since I figured those would take a real adjustment. 

Ennis-TX Grand Master
2 hours ago, rehh05 said:

I am celiac and trying to transition to a vegan/vegetarian diet. I've been gluten free for about ten years. I've just started introducing vegetarian dishes and phasing out meat/egg based ones in my family. My problem is that my tummy is not adjusting to the transition. Any idea how long it will take my insides to adjust to the different foods? I have not even really started with legumes yet in a major way since I figured those would take a real adjustment. 

You might want to avoid legumes, many with gut damage from celiac can not tolerate them well especially in the whole form. By adjustment I assume you mean the bloat from all the fiber? That takes about a month for your body to adjust to a high fiber diet, you will need to drink alot more water lol. Digestive enzymes will be a huge help, also avoid excess sugars and starchy carbs and go for more complex, and dense forms like leafy greens, nuts, seeds. Your gut bacteria will go a bit bonkers with the fiber buffet, the starchy, sugary stuff will lead you to a bunch of bloat and pain early on in combination.  I eat mostly vegan aside from egg whites, and fish or crab once a  month. Not really by choice on my side, but my body makes those decisions. If you need help with cravings and alternatives, Jackfruit chopped from Naked jackfruit company is about like pulled pork in texture, chopping it up with BBQ sauce or sloppy joe sauce and most meat eaters will even be fooled. Upton makes some harder versions of the meat substitute using jackfruit, but I found them too tough and salty >.> I use them to water down add mixed texture and flavor to my others and make 3lb batches I portion off into freezer bags. 

Beyond meat I found makes some great burger substitutes, silk, kite hill, and so Delicious make yogurts and icecreams, Cheese wise it really depends on what your doing with it which brand will work. Melting it in or on something daiya works pretty good, follow your heart can work to (I had to stop using them when they started using corn starch this year) I can give you a base review on many other brands lol. I been having to play it by budget alot this month personally and just make my own cheese and cheese sauces using nut/seeds and nut milks with nutritional yeast (Look into Nutritional Yeast by KAL or Braggs stuff is a vegetarian staple for replacing nutrients found in meats). If you need any help for subbing stuff feel free to message me I know basics for modifying recipes. I have posted many in the cooking section here and can forward you to a few cooking pages and recipes.

rehh05 Apprentice

Wow, this is great! Thank you! I think I'm having trouble processing the extra fiber as it seems to all go right through me really fast. Digestive enzymes is a goood idea. I guess it will just take time for my little microbes to decide that veggies are just the way it's going to be. 

• 4 months later...
Rocky78 Newbie
On 18.07.2017 at 11:44 PM, rehh05 said:

Wow, this is great! Thank you! I think I'm having trouble processing the extra fiber as it seems to all go right through me really fast. Digestive enzymes is a goood idea. I guess it will just take time for my little microbes to decide that veggies are just the way it's going to be. 

I hope I'll be fine too.

Tom Elphick Newbie
On 17.07.2017 at 8:32 PM, rehh05 said:

I am celiac and trying to transition to a vegan/vegetarian diet. I've been gluten free for about ten years. I've just started introducing vegetarian dishes and phasing out meat/egg based ones in my family. My problem is that my tummy is not adjusting to the transition. Any idea how long it will take my insides to adjust to the different foods? I have not even really started Open Original Shared Link yet in a major way since I figured those would take a real adjustment. 

I know that feel.

• 7 months later...
Pattykake Newbie

I have been on a vegetarian diet, but what do  you eat, Im getting so tired of fruits veggies and potatoes, I have tried rice cereals but not agreeing with me yet.  I will not touch gluten free bread yet, just to soon for me.  So what do you ppl eat, do you get tired of the same foods??

Ennis-TX Grand Master
32 minutes ago, Pattykake said:

I have been on a vegetarian diet, but what do  you eat, Im getting so tired of fruits veggies and potatoes, I have tried rice cereals but not agreeing with me yet.  I will not touch gluten free bread yet, just to soon for me.  So what do you ppl eat, do you get tired of the same foods??

I do a Ovo-vegatarian mostly sometimes I eat fish but I do not eat other meats as I can not digest them. So cutting out my eggs and fish, I would say veggie stir fry, Nut meal porridge (less starchy, and less gas effect then rice cereals), coconut wraps with veggies, stir fries, Salads, steamed dishes, veggie casserole, Creamy coconut soups (tomato, curry, squash, I even have vegan taco soup and bbq soup recipes). Almond butter fudge, smoothies, vegan icecream. I have recreated meat dishes with jack fruit, I buy, seasons, grind my own from food service packs making assuage, burger, pulled pork etc with jack fruit. BUT you can buy Uptons Jack fruit preseason, it is tougher and you need to cook it to make it softer...also they use cheap cuts (harder pieces of the fruit).

Dairy Free cheese is a huge part of my diet, not eating meat or yolk for means I need my nutrients from a vegan source. KAL nutritional yeast is best sourced for this and can be used to make cheese sauce (playing with these and seasonings is a art/fun). I buy Kite Hill, Miyoko, Leaf Cuisine, Tree Line, Parma, vio life, and daiya vegan cheeses....they each have their own nitch....some are nasty raw like daiya, while others are great in any form like kite hill. Again I use it in everything., You can even buy dairy free cheese sauce already made if you do not wish to make your own like parmela creamery. Need links to these and where to order online?

Baked goods.....I am a bakery owner, I do quite a few vegan muffins, vegan cheesy bread, etc. Pro tip, In muffins and nutty based stuff use flax eggs, 1tbsp ground flax +3 tbsp water, whisk in a small bowl and add it in any recipe calling for eggs in baked goods. In stuff like my cheesy bread, and cakes, I suggest apple sauce I use 1/4 cup for 1-2eggs, it is trial in error with how it works. I can send you my vegan cheesy bread recipe if you wish

Archived