This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Annie's Rice Mac And Cheese

jmengert

jmengert Enthusiast

My local health food store just began carrying Annie's Rice Mac and Cheese (the one that is just like Kraft--noodles and orange dried cheese in a packet).

What I like about it is that it says it's made in a dedicated gluten-free facility. However, before I spend money on it, has anyone tried it? Any good? I tried one like this right after diagnosis (by Deboles, I think), and ewww....I hoping this one is much better. I'd love a quick dinner every now and then.

Thanks for any input anyone has!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Jnkmnky Collaborator

We do not like it. We like amys frozen mac and cheese...a lot! Also, TINKYADA pastas with velveeta cheese is gluten free. Yum

Kailynsmom Apprentice

I second the tinkayada pasta and velveeta- it's great! Or just use shredded cheddar cheese, it's good too.

I haven't tried the annie's but we like the DeBoles rice pasta. It's white sauce though.

taweavmo3 Enthusiast

We didn't like the Annie's or DeBoles mac n cheese. The baby took one bite and spit it out, cracked me up since the kid is usually a human garbage disposal. We also use Amy's or Tinky w/velveeta or Kraft cheese powder in a tube for a quick lunch.

skbird Contributor

I have to admit I was really excited about this stuff at first because I love Annies mac and cheese (back when I could eat it, that is). But this pasta isn't very good, I wasn't that impressed with it. I have only tried one box though, and it was on a day I was not having a good stomach time anyway, so I need to try again.

I love Amy's frozen and also making my own from scratch now - much better than the box kind which I used to basically worship.

Stephanie

elonwy Enthusiast

Amy's frozen gives me a stomach ache every time I eat it, I think they have cross-contamination issues, which has been discussed in other threads.

The deboles stuff nearly ate my spoon, but I haven't tried the annies stuff yet, though I've been looking for it.

Tinkyada and Velveeta is the bees knees. I made this for dinner for my boyfriend and I the other night and he ate the whole bowl, thought it was great. YUmmy yum.

Elonwy

Kailynsmom Apprentice

Maybe I read the post wrong, but is the powdered cheese that comes with kraft mac n' cheese gluten-free??????!!!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

taweavmo3 Enthusiast

I don't use the Kraft powder that comes in the box, although some people do. It just makes me nervous being in the same container as regular pasta.

Kraft sells the cheese seperately in a skinny blue shaker tube. It is gluten free, last time I bought it. It's been a couple of months though, so of course, double check before you use it.

Kailynsmom Apprentice

anybody know where to find the shaker of cheese sauce?

jmengert Enthusiast

Thanks to everyone for their replies; I'm kind of bummed to hear that it's not that good. Ah, well--I'll try the Tinkyada and Velveeta route.

Kailynsmom--I found the shaker Kraft cheese in Walmart. I forgot which section, though, as it's been awhile, but it was definitely in Walmart. Hope that helps!

taweavmo3 Enthusiast

At the stores here, it is in the same section as the parmesan cheese. I love this stuff, makes it just as easy as the box version.

Archived