This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten And Dairy Free Sweets?

Zebra007

Zebra007 Contributor

Where I live its difficult to buy candy, there is hardly much to select from, and so I buy my treats online usually from Amazon,on top of being Gluten intolerant I have recently become Dairy intolerant too and so its all very difficult.

So....I am confused about Starburst fruit chews, for some reason i thought they were Gluten free, and today when i looked at the wrapping it says it has corn syrup in?

Can anyone recommend any gluten and dairy free sweets that I can buy?  is there a website somewhere for this?  Its important to me as I had to stop smoking last year and I feel like all the pleasures in life are narrowing.

Thanks a lot.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

MycasMommy Enthusiast

The only corn free CANDY I have seen for purchase (i have not looked online, admittedly) was at whole foods, in the giant scoop bins they keep..way over by the organic only sections. They are sweetened wwith rice syrup? I cannot remember exactly. I just noted in my head that HEY ITS NOT CORN SYRUP!  If youve no problem with corn.. then dont worry about it because candy is sugar. I am unable to have the corn.even in syrup form. My sweet snacks end up being a bottle of Naked Juice. Which I really like a lot actually. Otherwise you can make cookies, or brownies... or even carefully select an ice cream/gelato/sorbet/frozen yogurt. 

nvsmom Community Regular

If you are just looking for gluten-free or dairy free candy, those sweetened with corn syrup won't be any added risk for you. Corn does not contain gluten.  There are some people, and some celiacs, who have a food intolerance to corn (of varying degrees) but beyond that, corn and corn syrup is safe for celiacs.

Best wishes.

cyclinglady Grand Master

Alas, I am diabetic, so I am limited to my one or two little squares of Endangered Species certified gluten free chocolate which I hoard. Hubby and kid consume Skittles, Starburst and Smarties as chocolate does not agree with hubby. Kid's friend is highly allergic to milk and she consumes Skittle and Starburst too. There are many choices out there!

I have to say that I used to eats lots of Trader Joe's Cherry Chocolate Chunk soy ice cream back in the day!

Zebra007 Contributor

Thank you, but I don't have a whole foods where I live.   I know I can make some brownies, but I was kinda looking for sweets.

I am confused about corn syrup as the bottle of vanilla I purchase today stated "no corn syrup" and then further down Gluten free, so no wonder ha ha!   but now I know corn syrup is fine does that mean starbursts are okay to eat then?

Zebra007 Contributor

CL...Thanks a lot, I can literally list on one hand the selection of confectionery available where I live, its bad!!..but I feel better knowing I can eat starburst, and skittles too!  I have ordered some of that Endangered species chocolate the other day, so I am looking forward to that.  I dont want to touch soy, as I am having some problems with allergies at the mo and suspect that stuff might not be the best thing for me...thanks a lot

MycasMommy Enthusiast

Thank you, but I don't have a whole foods where I live.   I know I can make some brownies, but I was kinda looking for sweets.

I am confused about corn syrup as the bottle of vanilla I purchase today stated "no corn syrup" and then further down Gluten free, so no wonder ha ha!   but now I know corn syrup is fine does that mean starbursts are okay to eat then?

As long as you're not allergic to corn, YUP!  Enjoy!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

icelandgirl Proficient

I love Enjoy Life chocolate chips...gluten, soy and dairy free. They are my one treat and are really yummy.

nvsmom Community Regular

I love Enjoy Life chocolate chips...gluten, soy and dairy free. They are my one treat and are really yummy.

Mmm. Oh yes. Mix them in with some nuts or seeds and i am happy.

Zebra007 Contributor

IG..I have ordered some! I am waiting for them to arrive from Amazon, I looked at the reviews for this product and that's what made my decision!

nsv..Yes I will mix them up with some nuts for sure.

BlessedMommy Rising Star

Yes, I love Enjoy Life chocolate chips! I get them in bulk on Amazon--it saves me almost $1.50 per bag less to buy them that way. 

squirmingitch Veteran

You can also go to Nuts.com & click on their gluten free link & come up with lots of gluten-free candies. They are very good about labeling ingredients.

There are jelly beans. jelly candy, hard candy, gummies...... a long, long list of candies & sweets. If you can tolerate things made in a facility as milk products then you owe it to yourself to try their Organic Raw Cacao Goji Energy Squares -- gluten-free & you will swallow your tongue!

Dugudugu Rookie

Marshmallows?

Pauliewog Contributor

I like dried cranberries and dried mangoes. Similar in texture to a chewy candy for me.

Zebra007 Contributor

Yep, I love Amazon, I order from them every month, love it!

Thank you very much, oddly I had forgotten all about marshmallows! and I loved them as a kid.

Thank you for the link to the nut website, it looks great!   I am going to spend some time there and will definitely order something :P this is exactly what I was looking for!

Good idea re the dried stuff, probably better for me some days, will take a look at that too.

Gracias!

squirmingitch Veteran

Thumbs up.  :)

icelandgirl Proficient

Mmm. Oh yes. Mix them in with some nuts or seeds and i am happy.

Yum! Cashews with dark chocolate enjoy life chips is so good!
lpellegr Collaborator

If you eat Rice Chex and chocolate chips together, it's a lot like a KitKat.  Mmmmmm.

Zebra007 Contributor

I had no idea what Rice Chex was! I have never heard of it, and so I looked on Amazon and I have put it on my "wish list"

Thanks!

squirmingitch Veteran

Make sure that's gluten free rice chex.

Zebra007 Contributor

Yes will do, thank you.

nvsmom Community Regular

If you eat Rice Chex and chocolate chips together, it's a lot like a KitKat.  Mmmmmm.

That's bloody brilliant! Thank you!

StephanieL Enthusiast

We mix sunbutter, chocolate chips some butter/coconut oil and melt it down and add Chex.  Toss in powdered sugar- allergy/Celiac friendly Muddy Buddies!

Zebra007 Contributor

Wow!  One of my old favorites was Kit Kat! and so when I have all these ingredients together I will make something really nice.   I cannot believe how easily pleased I am nowadays, anything like this makes me happy, I guess that's what happens when your restricted on what you can and cannot eat.

Archived