This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Waffles: Van's Vs Eggo

plumbago

plumbago Experienced

Usually I buy Vann's or Van's at the Safeway, but last night they didn't have them, but they did have Eggo brand gluten-free waffles, so I bought them. Big difference. And not for the better.

Generally, I really like Van's waffles.

The Eggo which I had this morning, tasted like cake icing. I compared the sugars, and it's about a 1/4 teaspoon more than what's in Van's per serving. (1 G more). I suppose that is what accounts for my feeling like the sugar just rushed right into my system. I'd have to check the other ingredients to see if Vans contains anything else to slow the sugar exit down. Just checked: There's one more gram of dietary fiber in the Vans. Not sure what the source is and if it would indeed slow down the transit time or not.

Back to Van's! Please Safeway - restock your supply.

Plumbago

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cyclinglady Grand Master

Talk to the manager. They are good about stocking products at the request of a regular customer.

My kid loves Van's waffles with Nutella and bananas or berries.

chocominties Rookie

I tried the cinnamon flavored Eggo waffles, and found that they had a very strong brown rice flavor. I think I prefer the Van's. I always liked their blueberry waffles, but I wish they put more in a box.

mamaw Community Regular

thanks  for  the input... they are  not  in my area  yet...To me  it appears  these  mainstream  companies  want  on the  gluten-free  money  wagon but  don't  consider  any  nutritional value ... Most  stuff  just  has a lot  of added  sugars   &  sodium  to make them  taste better...

I know  in  my  beginning  journey I never thought about  healthy  gluten-free  food, I  was just  so  excited  & thankful  for  gluten-free  food to  fill my belly......now  I see  were  I've  become  a  crusader   for healthy  gluten-free  food.... we need  to consider  what  our food  chain is  doing  to ours  & our  kids  health  down the road.....

I  will not be buying  Eggo....... thanks  for  the  review

plumbago Experienced

I tried the cinnamon flavored Eggo waffles, and found that they had a very strong brown rice flavor. I think I prefer the Van's. I always liked their blueberry waffles, but I wish they put more in a box.

I'm right there with you! It's a bit of a waste of packaging.

Plumbago

Archived