Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Bloating/gas

15 posts in this topic

Does anyone get severe bloating/gas immediately after eating? It tends to go do as time passes between meals, but comes up immediately after a medium/large meal. I've been gluten-free for two months (things got better, then seem to have gotten worse after a mess-up, and haven't gotten much better since). It's actually pretty much back to how I was before going gluten-free. I'm pretty sure I'm completly gluten-free (new pots, wooden utensils), toiletries, cross contamination taken care of, etc.

How long does a 'mess-up' last (is it possible it could be a month?)

Ads by Google:

I can't really give any advice on flare-ups and all, since I'm not going to be tested until Wednesday, but I can relate to bloating and gas after eating. Immediately, I'll blow up and look 6 months pregnant...I can smypathize!! :(

My husband has Celiac and he has only been gluten free for almost 4 weeks (3 months gluten-free but his doctor had him do a gluten challenge at 7 weeks & now he's been starting over) he gets terrible bloating & belching gas after eating. He gets so uncomfortable that he almost hates eating. I'm not sure how long it takes to get rid of this symptom but I know he'll be glad when its gone. He has finally gotten rid of the nausea (only gets it very rarely now in waves) so he is seeing results.

Jennifer

I had the same problem and I think casein is the culprit. I'm only on my second or third week without it, so we'll see. Starchy stuff seems to bother me too, but casein woud tear me up even after being gluten-free.

Since I went casein free I dont have the bloating nearly as bad as I did. I also notice many small meals are better than eating 2 or 3 big meals. Too much food at one time seems to be hard on my body. Starches also cause bloating for me. I only eat small portions and its a little better. Oh...I also take enzymes and I think that helps me too.

Does anyone get severe bloating/gas immediately after eating? It tends to go do as time passes between meals, but comes up immediately after a medium/large meal. I've been gluten-free for two months (things got better, then seem to have gotten worse after a mess-up, and haven't gotten much better since). It's actually pretty much back to how I was before going gluten-free. I'm pretty sure I'm completly gluten-free (new pots, wooden utensils), toiletries, cross contamination taken care of, etc.

How long does a 'mess-up' last (is it possible it could be a month?)

I would also get gas and bloating almost everytime I ate for about 4-5 months on the gluten-free diet, then I slowly started getting better. The intestines just need time to heal, especially if there was a lot of damage done. Once your intestine heal, you should start feeling better.

Something else you may want to try is eliminating lactose. Most people with celiac disease are temporarily lactose intolerant until the intestines heal. Bloating and gas are symptoms of lactose intolerance.

That is a very common symptom of lactose intolerance. Specific foods may simply not sit well with your system. (I get gas from too many bell peppers...) Try to figure out what items are causing the problem, if any, and eliminate/reduce them.

That is a very common symptom of lactose intolerance.  Specific foods may simply not sit well with your system.  (I get gas from too many bell peppers...)  Try to figure out what items are causing the problem, if any, and eliminate/reduce them.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm starting to think that maybe there's more to it than celiac disease. I get incredibly bloated after anything - a glass of water, a cup of tea, or a piece of fruit. Together I've been 2 months on a gluten-free, dairy free diet. Shouldn't I be feeling something is better?

I'm starting to think that maybe there's more to it than celiac disease. I get incredibly bloated after anything - a glass of water, a cup of tea, or a piece of fruit. Together I've been 2 months on a gluten-free, dairy free diet. Shouldn't I be feeling something is better?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I know when i mess up, it takes me several days or up to a week to feel completely better, and during that week anything will make me sick but 2 months is a long time to still not feel better... the bloating/gas after every meal reminds me of what my old roommate used to get all the time, for her it was IBS. She limited fruits, veggies, milk and caffeine (trigger foods) and has felt great ever since. She also tries to eat smaller meals (good idea rachel) that are easier to digest

Everyone is different and some people may feel better within a few weeks and others may not feel better until 1-2 years. I think feeling better depends on the extent of the damage done in the intestione. I did not start to feel somewhat better on the gluten free diet until 5-6 months into the diet. And all my symptoms started clearing up after 1 year on the diet.

Hall100,

When I first started the gluten free diet I had the same problem as you. It seemed as if everything caused gas and bloating.

Now 7 months down the line things have improved dramatically. The bloating has almost gone completely but only over the last month. I still get gas but only when I eat starchy food or food that I can't digest like corn. Gas is caused by food the body cannot digest.

I find that if I am having problems I need to eat very small meals for about 3-5 days and only eat meat, veg, fruit and plain yoghurt. Then when everything has settled down and the bloating has gone, I start adding other items back in.

It just gets better and better and easier and easier. Right now it probably seems impossible to you, but trust what the others have said, it does get better. Two months into the diet I was depressed because things had improved and then got worse again. Now I feel like a different person.

Stick to it, you will get better and the diet will get easier to manage.

Good luck!

Yvonne

Since I went casein free I dont have the bloating nearly as bad as I did. I also notice many small meals are better than eating 2 or 3 big meals. Too much food at one time seems to be hard on my body. Starches also cause bloating for me. I only eat small portions and its a little better.  Oh...I also take enzymes and I think that helps me too.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Which enzymes do you take???

I understand why the bloating occurs - because of inflammation and a GI tract which is still damaged.

What I'm struggling to understand is the time line for the onset of the gas/ GI discomfort. Specifically, why immedediately after eating? The damaged portion of the GI tract (so far as I know) is the small intestine, with odour-producing bacteria residing in the large intestine... I don't understand why the effects are so immediate, vs. having a lag time of a couple of hours... Can anyone clarify this?

This is a very old thread that you are responding to, twinkle-toez. It would be better perhaps to start your own thread with your own story that people can respond to.

This is a very old thread that you are responding to, twinkle-toez. It would be better perhaps to start your own thread with your own story that people can respond to.

Ok. :)

Sorry about that.