This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Stool Results Vs. Seeing Gastrointestinologist

mebrown5

mebrown5 Newbie

Hi there,

I was just diagnosed from stool samples as celiac a week ago. The doctor told me i have one of the highest + numbers hes seen in a while and therefore i could go see a gastrointestinologist however i would have to remain eating gluten for the next couple weeks and with almost all certainty he could say i have it and he didn't find it all that necessary.

I was just wondering peoples thoughts on that?

Just as a side note: was having diarrhea 3-4 times a day, extreme stomach cramping, bloating and constantly was tired.

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

I am not sure how you could be diagnosed with Celiac by a stool test? I would suggest you continue eating gluten and see a GI if you want a diagnosis of Celiac. I would think you would want to know for sure before you make this change to your life?

Open Original Shared Link Why don’t you recognize tests (stool tests or otherwise) for non-celiac gluten sensitivity that are currently available through companies like Enterolab or Cyrex?

We only embrace tests that have endured rigorous scientific evaluations. So far, these tests have received no evidence-based support.....

mebrown5 Newbie

Looking back over my results and stuff i now realize it was from the blood work (should have looked before posting  :wacko:  :blink: - i had lots of testing done, most of it through stool samples so i just assumed)

Still though through blood work is that enough to guarantee and say that i am celiac?

My doctor told me id have to continue to eat gluten if i wanted to go to gastrointestinologist and ive already cut that out and feel better so im a little hard pressed to go that route

kareng Grand Master

Looking back over my results and stuff i now realize it was from the blood work (should have looked before posting  :wacko:  :blink: - i had lots of testing done, most of it through stool samples so i just assumed)

Still though through blood work is that enough to guarantee and say that i am celiac?

My doctor told me id have to continue to eat gluten if i wanted to go to gastrointestinologist and ive already cut that out and feel better so im a little hard pressed to go that route

What Celiac blood tests did you have?  When you said "stool tests" to diagnoses Celiac, I assumed you didn't go to an actual MD.  IF you did not go to an MD, the "blood tests" may not be reliable, either.

mebrown5 Newbie

What Celiac blood tests did you have?  When you said "stool tests" to diagnoses Celiac, I assumed you didn't go to an actual MD.  IF you did not go to an MD, the "blood tests" may not be reliable, either.

I went to an actual MD, who then sent me to a lifelabs clinic to get all my blood work and stool samples done (as they always do here in my part of Canada for anything). He was testing for a couple things because he was unsure of what i might have as i have crohn's, celiac and other auto-immune dieases between my moms and dads side of the family. MD was the one who gave me my results

nvsmom Community Regular

The tests that doctors trust for diagnosing celiac disease are tTG IgA, tTG IgG, DGP IgA, DGP IgG, andEMA IgA. If one of these blood tests are positive, it most likely means you have celiac disease with 95% accuracy.

Some doctors think the AGA IgA and AGA IgG may indicate celiac disease or non-celiac gluten sensitivity (NCGS) but that it diagnoses NCGS is not a widely accepted belief. The AGA tests have a fairly low sensitivity and are more likely to miss celiacs so doctors do not use them as often any more. If you had a positive AGA, you are lucky it caught you! A positive AGA test probably means celiac disease but it could be possible you have NCGS. The symptoms and treatment are the same though - a gluten-free diet.

I am in Alberta, What part of the country are you in?

Best wishes.

cyclinglady Grand Master

Usually, the gold standard from leading researchers (e.g. University of Chicago's celiac website) for diagnosing celiac disease includes a blood panel and an endoscopy (biopsies of the intestinal wall). However, as a Canadian, I understand that it can take many months to get an endoscopy. I know that many Canadians on this forum have skipped the endoscopy because of the wait time. Will your doctor give you a definitive diagnosis of celiac disease? If so, you can consider skipping the test.

For many, like myself, I needed that confirmation. I could not imagine that "lightening" would strike twice at my house (hubby has unconfirmed celiac disease for 13 years). I knew what being gluten free meant (dealing with cross contamination, rare eating out, etc.) and I needed a firm diagnosis. Plus, anemia was my old symptom, so I could not believe that I had celiac disease.

It is a personal decision, but I strongly recommend that you discuss it with your doctor. Take the time this weekend to search the Internet choosing reputable sites (e.g. Government, universities, hospitals) and not blogs from people trying to sell you anything or the library.

I wish you well!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mebrown5 Newbie

So i was able to find my blood results online:

Immunology
Tissue Transglutaminase Ab IgA
A
>250.0
<12.0
U/mL
  POSITIVE
ravenwoodglass Mentor

From your first post it sounds like your doctor considers you diagnosed. Personally I would just stay on the diet and have blood tests redone in a few months to make sure the antibodies are going down. Some people do feel they need to have the GI scope but if by chance the GI misses damaged areas there is the risk of a false negative on the biopsy results. With levels that high on the blood test and a family history of celiac I don't think there is any doubt about your doctor's diagnosis. 

nvsmom Community Regular

I agree.

LauraTX Rising Star

Yep, those are high blood levels.  No doubt there.

Archived