This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

What's Your Favorite Gluten Free Restaurant?

katiesalmons

katiesalmons Newbie

Locally I have a go to Casa Fiesta, but they have one thing I know I am safe to eat and that's pretty much it. I am always looking to expand my horizons to restaurants that have more options. I mean you have the traditional order a burger no bun, don't eat the fries, No breaded chicken all that but sometimes gluten free can be boring if your always at the same place. You can only eat so much Wendy's chilli and potatoes and frosty's right? (well maybe not the frosty's I mean who could get tired of those) Anyway The meal at Casa is a go to because it's something I like and I know it's genuinly safe but I don't want burn out on it either. So I am open for restaurant suggestions.....

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

CajunChic Explorer

I've been successful at Outback, Bonefish Grill (my fav!), and Mellow Mushroom Pizza. I know everywhere is different, you're only as safe as the people preparing it care..

Good luck finding new places! As always, I'd speak to someone in management to see if they have gluten-free practices in place, then give it a go!

kareng Grand Master

California Pizza Kitchen. Pei Wei, PF Changs, Outback, Bonefish Grill - all national chains

heliosue Apprentice

Right now my favorite gluten-free restaurant in the Riverside/San Bernardino, CA  area has to be Red Robin.  Not because their food is so outstanding, but because it's the only place that I've had the courage to try so far - my second month into gluten-free. I will say that the food was okay, but I'd give my eye teeth to know the recipe for their hamburger buns, which I understand come from the French Bakery in Minnesota. They were wonderful!  I enjoyed the burger, but I think I shouldn't have ordered the fries.  I didn't ask about a dedicated fryer, darn it.  Next I'm going to try California Pizza Kitchen.

kareng Grand Master

Right now my favorite gluten-free restaurant in the Riverside/San Bernardino, CA  area has to be Red Robin.  Not because their food is so outstanding, but because it's the only place that I've had the courage to try so far - my second month into gluten-free. I will say that the food was okay, but I'd give my eye teeth to know the recipe for their hamburger buns, which I understand come from the French Bakery in Minnesota. They were wonderful!  I enjoyed the burger, but I think I shouldn't have ordered the fries.  I didn't ask about a dedicated fryer, darn it.  Next I'm going to try California Pizza Kitchen.

Red Robin has a fries only fryer.  You would want to ask for gluten-free fries in case they have more than 1 fryer.

cap6 Enthusiast

We travel a lot and we always look for Red Robin.  As someone said, not because their food is terrific, but because they are very careful and aware.  Outback is good too. 

psawyer Proficient

When in the USA, we love Outback. They used to be in Canada, but closed up years ago

For Canadians, The Keg is good, but not cheap. In the Toronto area, Il Fornello is a chain we like. Swiss Chalet are good, and at most locations the fries are gluten-free (ask if there is a dedicated fryer). If there is table service, there is likely to be a dedicated fryer. But food court locations and take-out only ones that are co-located with Harvey's will share the fryer and Harvey's does onion rings which are not gluten-free. There are others--just a few from by list of favourites.

ETA: I used to love the onion rings at Harvey's. One thing I still miss after almost fifteen years gluten-free.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Nikki2777 Community Regular

Risotteria, Little Beet, and Five Napkin Burger (I don't even bother with the buns, but the fries are in a dedicated fryer)!  As for chains, I like Outback and PF Changs (but so much sodium).

• 2 weeks later...
mateo2099 Rookie

Mine would be Saltgrass Steakhouse.   They even have gluten-free bread for free before your meal comes out. 

Second choice would be Johnny Carino's - There menu is huge.  Much better variety than Carrabas and they have really good gluten-free pasta. 

Fenrir Community Regular

I have had luck at Perkins and Applebees. I know that many would say not to eat at these places but I have educated the two that I go two and they will actually clean the area of the grill before cooking on it now and the Fiesta Lime chicken is otherwise gluten free and the pork chops with salt and pepper is OK at Perkins (if you can get them to clean the grill). 

I have also liked going to Chipotle. Papa Murphy's gluten free pizza at my location is safe as they use a separate station to make the pizza, though you are limited to veggies and pepperoni. 

Not a restaurant, but Burning Brothers Brewery is 100% gluten free. You go to their brewery/taproom they don't let gluten of any source into their facility. You can sit down and have a beer, cupcake, chips...ect  and it's all great and gluten-free. Plus the owner of the brewery has celiac disease so he knows what gluten-free for celiacs is. 

gilligan Enthusiast

I don't trust anyone but Chipotle because I can watch them change gloves and prepare my order.  If it's not a total gluten free restaurant, you're taking a chance no matter where you eat.

LauraTX Rising Star

Fenrir, that is a great example of how a friendly relationship with the staff at a restaurant can really make a difference.  It is awesome you were able to educate your favorite places around you.  

• 2 weeks later...
abenedum Rookie

I don't know if this is a nation wide chain, but Johnny Carino's (Italian food) has an excellent gluten free menu.  So glad to read that Outback and P.F.Chang's has the same.

• 2 weeks later...
MinnesotaCeliac Rookie

I generally only eat at 100% gluten-free places. Thus to my delight I have a few options where I live. I also came across two on my recent vacation. 

Minnesota (St Paul)

As Fenrir mentioned there is an awesome gluten-free brewery taproom. On Fridays Burning Brothers has gluten free foods (foodtrucks /carts) at the taproom.  You know its gluten free if it is allowed in the facility. They worked with the vendors to get them in.

Minnesota (Minneapolis)

A 100% gluten free restaurant just opened a few months ago in Minneapolis. The Sassy Spoon has amazing and healthy choices. The owner had a food truck and changed over to a restaurant. She came from a nutritionist background and makes amazing delicious meals. Just typing this makes me want to go there for dinner. Mmmm. I think I will and for brunch tomorrow too. Even if I could eat gluten and had more choices, I would be eating at the Sassy Spoon as a first choice.

Minnesota (Lino Lakes)

There also is Paleo's, I have yet to go, but when I checked with them last fall, it was a 100% gluten free restaurant. If anyone goes let me know what you think.

Hawaii / Maui (Lahaina)

The Maui Sugar Shop organic/Gluten free Bakery - Love this place and still dreaming about the chocolate dipped macaroons. This place is hidden, but worth the effort to find.  The owners are great people too.

Hawaii / Maui (Kihei)

Maui has the Maui Brick oven (100% gluten free)  - Don't let the strip mall location fool you, they do it right.

• 1 month later...
writerjeff Newbie

Here in the Chicago area, my favorite gluten-free restaurant is Big Bowl Chinese and Thai (especially the one in Schaumburg). They have a good gluten-free menu, and their stir fry bar is amazing, with a good selection of gluten-free sauces. They take food allergies very seriously. Their staff is trained in food sensitivities, and a manager has to serve the food whenever a food sensitivity is involved. They're also big on fresh, organic veggies and meats. Highly recommended if you're in the Chicago area.

Hoos Newbie

I'll make two recommendations and they are both favorites:

Locally, I like the Grease Box in Oakland, CA.  Website:  Open Original Shared Link.  While, they are completely gluten-free, they do note other allergens present in the food they prepare.  It's mainly a Southern-style breakfast/lunch place (no dinner) but it's very good and the menu changes often.  The owner/chef has Celiac disease.

My favorite discovery was in Bend, Oregon.  Zydeco Kitchen in downtown Bend (website:  Open Original Shared Link ) has a gluten-free menu.  Most of the main dinner menu is also available gluten-free.  The food is fantastic - the first gluten-free and upscale dining experience I've had since being diagnosed.  The staff is well-informed and I saw something about either the owners or their children having Celiac disease, so that they do understand.

I've also been lucky at Sizzler with ordering the petite steak and vegetable medley.  Have done that a couple of times with no problems.

This is actually a great topic.  I love traveling and it's somewhat disappointing when you end up having raw veggies in hummus in your hotel room for dinner because there's no place around you can trust.  My biggest concern is cross-contamination.  Even in smaller towns, restaurants seem to be aware of people with gluten issues and may offer gluten-free options, but I've still been glutened a few times.

So, thanks for starting this and I hope to see more additions.

gilligan Enthusiast

My absolute new favorite is Dobyns Restaurant Keeter Center at College of the Ozarks in Pt. Lookout, MO.  They know what they are doing!  They are very aware of the needs of a celiac and asked me if I had any other food issues they needed to address.  The chef was willing to try to modify most menu items to allow me to choose what I really wanted.  The prime rib, baked potato, and braised cabbage/kale dish I ordered were superb, but what really took it over the top was I was offered a gluten free bread service.  The roll was divine with their homemade apple butter.  It was so good, in fact, that I panicked after a bite and had my husband try it to make sure it was gluten-free.  He said it tasted gluten-free based on his roll.  I wasn't able to order dessert (all had either flour or dairy), but I got grapefruit sorbet at their ice cream stand.  My first choice was the strawberry lemonade, but the the server suggested I try another because she didn't have a fresh batch to scoop mine from and didn't want to cross contaminate me with any crumbs that might be around from the waffle cones.  Now that's service!!

Nene212 Newbie

I am in the central florida area and i found this Thai food restaurant that the food is amazing. It called Sake its in Orange city FL. I also love Joe's Crab Shack the servers were great and the food is fresh. 

NoGlutenCooties Contributor

Speaking for the New Jersey and central New York state areas...

Uno's Pizzeria & Grill has a full page of gluten free options, decent burgers, and a knowledgable staff.  They have a dedicated Gluten Free area of the kitchen and typically have separate waiters bring out your food so it doesn't get stacked/carried with the gluten-eater's stuff.  They also have hard cider, although sometimes they only have it on tap and I only trust it in a bottle.

Ruby Tuesday is also good - some better than others.  The last Ruby Tuesday's I was in, as soon as I asked for the Gluten Free menu they alerted the entire kitchen staff and the manager came out to personnally assure me they knew what they were doing and that I'd be safe and that they take every precaution not to cross-contaminate.  (There are no guarantees... but it always makes me feel better when they at least know what cross-contamination is.)

bartfull Rising Star

Here in the Black Hills there is Lintz Brother's Pizza in Hermosa and now a new location in Rapid City. In Custer there is Black Hills Burger and Bun (rated by Travelocity and Trip Advisor as the BEST burger in the COUNTRY.) And there is also an Outback in Rapid City.

• 2 weeks later...
cap6 Enthusiast

Zydeco Kitchen in downtown Bend, Oregon is awesome and yes, Hoos, one of the owners is celiac. The Athletic Club restaurant in Bend is also owned by Zydeco and is gluten free. And my favorite "fast food" place is in Bend, Orgeon called Spork. Almost everything there is g.f. Tell them you are celiac and they are over the top careful. Don't want to confess how many times we have eaten there and I have never had an issue. Also most of their ingredients are organic/local.

bartfull Rising Star

And Bend is such a beautiful place it would be worth the ride! :)

cap6 Enthusiast

We just moved here to Bend from So. Cal. We Love it! And there are so many g.f. places to eat where people Get it! Love all the organic produce. Oh yeah....not to mention kayaking & hiking. Color us happy!

mommida Enthusiast

We have so many more places catering to gluten free, I just got a pizza place grand opening flyer with gluten free pizza, chicken, and ribs. (dinner salads too)

I tried Ethel's Killa Va NILLA cupcakes sold at Wholefoods~ They are fantastic!  The bakery location is in St. Clair Shores, MI.  I do hope they are able to expand sales to an area near you, but until then you can order on-line.  *allergy alert* The vanilla cupcake have almond flour in them.

I have noticed the closer you are to a college town or tourist area, the higher the chances of finding gluten free places.

With Out Wheat connected to Guido's Pizza in Okemos, MI (close to MSU) has the BEST gluten free pizza.  They even do a deep dish version.  If you have other food intolerances i.e. egg ~ just call ahead to see if they can adjust to your conditions.  Manager, Steve

Detroit Burger- 2 locations Lake Orion, and Gingerville, MI has gluten free buns for your burger and Redbridge beer. 

Brown Iron Brewery, Washington, MI just north of Shelby Township Has gluten free buns for your burgers and a nice selection of menu items.  They even have a gluten free desert Sweet Potato Cheesecake. (I admit I didn't think I would rant and rave about sweet potato cheesecake~ but it is really good and the main reason I want to go back there.

Mackinac Island has many places to eat.  Fudge is mainly gluten free, but like ice cream watch out for the add-ins.  Mackinaw City and St. Ignace (your ferry routes to the island from the cities on both sides of the Mackinaw Bridge) also have a few places that are gluten free.  Seabiscuit and Twist n Sprout.  We ate ALL of our meals from there!

Ann Arbor, MI being a college town, both U of M, and Eastern, medical center mecca has numerous places that are not franchises to eat.

I never go to IKEA, but I do know occasionally they have some gluten free products.

Buffalo Wild Wings, go through the allergen notebook to certain your wing sauce is gluten free.  Since this is a franchise- some locations might be better than others.

If all else fails we just head to the grocery store, and request a microwave and fridge for our room when we travel and have to eat on the go.

I found a great tip... Use a sliced length wise cucumber with the seeds gored out as a replacement for bread.  Add lunchmeat and smeared with a soft cheese like laughing cow for extra flavor.  YUM

It is amazing to me how many more options there are now compared to 11 years ago.

Archived