This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Couldn't Get Blood Sample! Now What?

KenzMom

KenzMom Rookie

I have posted previously about my 17 month old girl's symptoms...here is the link : https://www.celiac.com/forums/topic/111089-mom-t1-diabetic-toddler-has-celiac/?p=941919

Well yesterday, I took her to get her blood drawn to test for celiac disease. She was bloated and irritable and very very very upset after 3 nurses tried to get a vein. She has chubby arms and little veins and we left with no blood to test. 

So they doctor said the next step is to get her in with the G.I. and to keep her on gluten. She has been off of dairy for a while, but she also suggested cutting out fruit in the meantime because the fructose can be hard to digest. Has anyone else been told to do this before? 

My husband is very concerned about what they will do at the GI. (I'm concerned too...but I am at the point where I want to get the tests over with so we can start the next step). I guess they may start with a scan of her belly? She seems so little to be put under for an endoscopy. Would they try to draw her blood when she is under? Has anyone been down this road before when they could not draw blood?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

Some suggestions, not all may apply -

Go to the blood draw clinic at a children's hospital and let someone with a lot of experience do it

Have someone other than Mom go into the blood draw room with her ( if you are getting anxious it's not helpful.)

If they decide to do an endo, they may be able to draw the blood at that time, while asleep. However, depending on where they do it, they may not have that capacity

Take the blood from another location besides the arm

As I look back and see the age of the child - mom and dad should leave the building and let them get a blood sample. At that age they may need to restrain the child. Remember, it's natural and good that a 17 month old screams or cries during a blood draw. The scary ones are the ones I have seen that don't - either because they are very very sick or have an illness that requires many blood draws.

cyclinglady Grand Master

And make sure she is completely hydrated....

KenzMom Rookie

Kareng- 

Thank you for the tips! 

I held her down yesterday and talked to her while they checked her arms and hands for veins. I do pretty well with those situations. I'm not sure if the right thing to do would go to the children's hospital and try again for blood (this is not the first time they have not been able to hit a vein)... or just wait and see what the GI has to say. 

Thank you cyclinglady- yes she guzzles water and coconut milk like there's no tomorrow  :lol:

The waiting game is the hardest part. I have family members telling me to just cut out the gluten and see what happens. But at this stage in the game, I am keeping her on it and it will be medically documented if she tests positive for celiac disease. I want to make sure she gets tested for diabetes (I am diabetic) and anything else she needs regularly.

StephanieL Enthusiast

As the others have said, the #1 thing I would do to get the blood is to go to the children's hospital.  That is their specialty.  They can get it.

kareng Grand Master

I'm not an anxious mom, either. I worked for 5 years at a children's hospital- so I see the greater good of the blood draw. When my, now 22 yr old, son needed blood work before a procedure at 10 months, I gave him a sucker( tootsie pop I think). I told him he was going to get something special. He sat on my lap and I gave him the sucker and he was soooo pleased. He only looked at the lady with curiosity when she poked him. My nephew was 3 and I gave him a new spider man that came out of mom's purse in the blood draw chair. He cried a little but was too interested in the toy.

My thought is that they could get the blood somewhere besides an arm? I am skiing right now. I'll try to ask a phlebotomist tonight and get back to you

kareng Grand Master

My SIL, who draws blood for a living, said she would do it you live in the KC area! Otherwise, she said to go to a Children's hospital or a larger community hospital to get the blood drawn. She works for a large community hospital and they have to draw blood for babies quite often.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

KenzMom Rookie

Awe that was sweet of her!! The doc is supposed to tell me when my daughters GI appointment is tomorrow-- I will ask about going to the children's hospital tomorrow too. Thank you!

KenzMom Rookie

So I am taking my daughter to the GI this coming Tuesday. All attempts to collect blood have been paused until then-- but luckily, the GI appointment is in the hospital, so if they are going to take blood, we can do it right there in the hospital. 

In the meantime, I've started my daughter on the probiotic powders for children (I just mix a packet with her coconut milk every morning). It seems to be helping a little with her gas and bloating. She still has it, but it seems less severe. Are probiotics something that is recommended for celiacs(diagnosed or undiagosed)? I can't see how it would harm her at this point-- if it eases her symptoms until i have some sort of diagnosis then it's a good thing, right? Would the probiotics would interfere with any testing they do?  

cyclinglady Grand Master

It would not interfere with any celiac testing. It is just some "good" bacteria that will help populate her colon.

africanqueen99 Contributor

If you'll be in the hospital it is completely within your rights to request a PICU nurse do the blood draw.  They are used to smaller veins.

Archived