This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Two Weeks Gluten Free

vickiguerra

vickiguerra Rookie

and I am still bloated???

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cyclinglady Grand Master

I bet your doctor failed to tell you that patience (besides avioiding gluten) is your best tool for healing?

It took me six weeks before I felt a little bit better. Two months in to heal two vertabrae fractures. Six months to resolve my anemia. A year to resolve most food intolerances. YWO YEARS to finally feel better! That is about the average around here.

Why all the delay? There is a huge learning curve in avoiding gluten. Each glutening can start the autoimmune destructin process that can last for weeks. I feel lucky that it has only taken me two years and I sarted with a Marsh Stage IIIB which translates into moderate to severe damage.

Hang in there! The bloating will soon go away!

Hugs!

kareng Grand Master

There is a huge learning curve like Cycling said. And it can take a long time for the damage to heal. But there is also the fact that, even if the villi heal, the whole system may take a long time ( months or years) to get back to good working order. Also, when people change thier diet drastically, they may be eating more fiber, less fiber, more gassy veggies, etc than before.

I don't know if you are eating lactose, but you might want to cut that out for a few months. The part of the intestines that are damaged by Celic are the parts that "digest" lactose. Even without Celiac, many adult humans are lactose intolerant.

vickiguerra Rookie

About 5 months ago I just bloated up out of the blue....ever since then I eat 2 or 3 bites and am so full it's not even funny.

All my gastro said was..you have celiac disease and you need to talk to a nutritionist...that was it.

For two weeks I have had coffee and gluten free cream.  Tortilla chips, rice cakes, peanut butter, grits, cheese, rice crackers, bananas, apples, ground meat, beans, rice, avocados.....that's it.

I had tendinitis last week and a GP told me to take ibuprofin, when I told him I had just found out I have celiac and had not taken any kind of medication for the pain.....he kind of mumbled something....I got the impression he doesn't believe celiac is a sickness.  Makes me really wonder too.

Thank you all for your input. :) 

kareng Grand Master

About 5 months ago I just bloated up out of the blue....ever since then I eat 2 or 3 bites and am so full it's not even funny.

All my gastro said was..you have celiac disease and you need to talk to a nutritionist...that was it.

For two weeks I have had coffee and gluten free cream. Tortilla chips, rice cakes, peanut butter, grits, cheese, rice crackers, bananas, apples, ground meat, beans, rice, avocados.....that's it.

I had tendinitis last week and a GP told me to take ibuprofin, when I told him I had just found out I have celiac and had not taken any kind of medication for the pain.....he kind of mumbled something....I got the impression he doesn't believe celiac is a sickness. Makes me really wonder too.

Thank you all for your input. :)

"For two weeks I have had coffee and gluten free cream. Tortilla chips, rice cakes, peanut butter, grits, cheese, rice crackers, bananas, apples, ground meat, beans, rice, avocados.....that's it."

There's part of your answer! :)

cyclinglady Grand Master

The ends of the villi are the first to go and that is where the enzymes to help digest lactose (milk sugars) are released and the place to absorb iron occurs. So, like Karen said, avoid milk products for the first six months. Then add back in yogurt or cheese as though products have been fermented resulting in less lactose.

If you have not seen improvement in six weeks, try keeping a food journal. Lots of folks develop intolerances to corn and other foods as a result of a damaged gut. This seems to improve with healing.

Finally, keep those foods simple and easy to digest. Cooking fruits and veggies is helpful.

nvsmom Community Regular

Ditto the others.  Unfortunately, two weeks is nothing in a celiac's recovery.  Most celiacs will not have even stopped making autoantibodies yet, so recovery isn't even an option at this point.  Hang in there and be patient.  I'm sure you'll be feeling much better by the autumn.

I know... waiting is easier said than done.  ;)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

vickiguerra Rookie

"For two weeks I have had coffee and gluten free cream. Tortilla chips, rice cakes, peanut butter, grits, cheese, rice crackers, bananas, apples, ground meat, beans, rice, avocados.....that's it."

There's part of your answer!  :) 

Ok, so I take out the dairy.  Is the rest ok to eat?

vickiguerra Rookie

Take out the corn too?

cyclinglady Grand Master

Just try the dairy first. Like a week. Then see about other food intolerances if you do not notice a difference. But dairy is a problem for most celiacs. At least until healing is done.

sreese68 Enthusiast

Beans are also hard on the gut.  I'd take them out for a bit. Then try them again with a small serving size.

With a food journal, record gut symptoms but also mood and energy level and anything out of the ordinary.  Keep in mind that a reaction to food may take anywhere from a few hours to two days.  For me, the big C takes two days.  D is usually overnight.  I can handle some foods if I eat them once a week, but if I eat them a few days in a row, I get symptoms.

And recovery does take time.  It took 8 months for my anxiety and brain fog to go away.  My nerves still aren't healed after 4 years, but they are much, much, much better.  My continued gut problems are unusual and may be partially caused by another syndrome/disorder I'm seeking a diagnosis for, so I may not be able to heal my gut completely.

vickiguerra Rookie

Thank you all. :)

notme Experienced

i agree:  food journal - and be nice to your intestines!  lolz - you can't see them, but if you have celiac, the poor things are a mess.  just keep writing down everything you eat in relation to how you are feeling.  if something doesn't digest well, remove the offending food for now.  it's a boring diet eating just safe stuff (lolz my 'go to' is turkey sandwich on udi's bread, which i ate for about 2 weeks straight) but after your gut has calmed down, you should be able to add some things back in.  trial & error & yes, patience.  ibuprofen should be ok just make sure it's gluten free.  i try not to overdo it with them because they contain iodine, which irritates dh rash.  (my skin never forgets, i guess...)

vickiguerra Rookie

The thing with me is I have not ever felt bad, just bloated.  Eating doesn't bother me....my symptoms are not as severe as some of y'alls sound.

Also I figured out last night that I obviously have been celiac since around 2003....I was having tongue issues.....no one caught it back then.

I am absolutely miserable trying to figure out what to eat and what not to eat....plus I am not supposed to be stressing about anything as I have heart palpitations too.  

Thank you all for your kind word and encouragement.  Just not sure about any of this at all.

Gemini Experienced

vicki....are you taking digestive enzymes?  That should help digest your food and ease the bloating.  What you listed as eating was dairy heavy and fat heavy....even though avocado is a good fat, fat is fat as far as digestion is concerned.  Maybe eat more chicken and fish, along with fruits and veggies that are well tolerated? 

vickiguerra Rookie

No, I didn't know about digestive enzymes.  Thank you 

Archived