This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Something In Processed Meats?

Kfrog

Kfrog Rookie

So I have Celiac and am on a completely gluten and dairy free diet. I also avoid potatoes because they hurt my stomach, but don't know if its an allergy or whatnot.

Recently on two different occasions, eating a type of processed meat has caused awful gastrointestinal issues. The meat was thoroughly cooked and reached appropriate temperatures and the symptoms do not match up with norovirus or any other type of food poisoning, etc (skin rashes and mouth ulcers and a few other things). 

Here's the ingredients: 

Meat 1: cured with water, honey, salt, sugar, potassium lactate, sodium phosphate, sodium diacetate, sodium erythorbate, sodium nitrite.

I can't find the second meat label but it was a similar type of food (think ham, pepperoni, corned beef, etc).

Does anyone else have this problem or know what it could be? Any suggestions would help! 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Jays911 Contributor

Might be nitrates. They are carcinogens in any case. We eliminated them from our diet years ago. Look for nitrate free meats. They cost a small bit more and don't last quite as long, but you get what you pay for.

cyclinglady Grand Master

I can not eat nitrates either. Add in any garlic and six to eight hours later I am vomiting that particular food that has been sitting my my stomach. You can not pay me to eat a sausage or hot dog!

We eat fresh meat or uncured if we buy lunch meat like turkey.

Jays911 Contributor

No problems for me with garlic. Had a Easter brunch with eggs and bacon. Skipped the bagels, but my wife made a quinoa salad, 7 hour roasted tomatoes, and gluten-free bread and muffins. With mimosas, God was very good. Easter blessings

LauraTX Rising Star

For those of you that can't have nitrates, are you able to eat the processed meats that contain the celery powder which, I have heard but not verified, has some type of natural nitrate in it?  Like applegate hot dogs (which are my favorite by the way)

cyclinglady Grand Master

The celery powder does not bother me. That is usually in the turkey lunch meat I buy (Hormel or Hillshire Farms Natural). I think it is a combo of the traditional nitrites, sulfites, and my garlic/onion intolerance that has not resolved yet. No, am changing my mind.

I have blamed nitrates or garlic for years, but my nausea and vomiting only occurs with sausages and hot dogs -- not bacon. I think it is a casing thing. A night of nausea and vomiting (violently) is not worth seeing if I have overcome this wacky intolerance!

I have continued to avoid nitrates because I believe they are not healthy. Garlic gives me an itchy mouth and intestinal discomfort.

notme Experienced

i skip the nitrites (sulfites, sulfates, nitrates, i do not know the difference but i try to avoid them) the less ingredients the better.  i have no problem with celery powder - i think that is in the bacon that i buy (i get the uncured kind - oscar meyer and hormel right off the top of my head)  the less ingredients the better.  yeah, a little more pricey, but i can identify all the ingredients and they are food, not chemicals.  

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived