This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

No!

bartfull

bartfull Rising Star

Looks like Kimberly-Clark (the makers of many paper products) are now making TP and paper towels out of WHEAT STRAW!!! They say they will be shipping this stuff to sports venues and colleges. One more thing for us to watch out for! :angry:

Open Original Shared Link

Just imagine - you bring your own snacks to the ballgame so you know you will have safe food to eat. You go wash your hands, dry them on wheat straw and then eat. You'll be wondering how in the world you got glutened. GRRR...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

StephanieL Enthusiast

Are you sure there is gluten in the wheat grass part of the plant that would cause a problem?  From what I remember of plants the wheat and the wheat grass are two different parts.

bartfull Rising Star

Just like we are advised not to eat anything with wheat grass because they can't be sure some of it hasn't sprouted, and even more importantly, it is harvested on the same equipment as regular wheat, (that's why if we eat oats we need certified gluten-free oats), I would never ever want to touch this stuff.

StephanieL Enthusiast

I am thinking that this is a case of "not enough/any protein" that would render it a hazard. 

bartfull Rising Star

Might be. But I wouldn't take the chance. I'm not in college and I don't go to ball games, but if this catches on and lots of companies start doing this, when I buy I'll be looking for stuff made the old fashioned way.

LauraTX Rising Star

This would be a good product suggestion for gluten-free Watchdog, if they can get some product to test.  It is unsettling, but I already use hand sanitizer instead of using soap in public bathrooms (unless hands are really soiled) because they will have things in them that give me rashes.  I will bring my own soap if I am out of the house for more than just a quick jaunt.  Also can bring your own paper towels in your purse, or just do the "clothes wipe and air dry".  LOL

nvsmom Community Regular

Huh... I gotta admit, the idea of wiping with wheat gives me the hee bee gee bees.  :huh:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

LauraTX Rising Star

I also do not want a gluten bum.  LOL

StephanieL Enthusiast

This would be a good product suggestion for gluten-free Watchdog, if they can get some product to test.  It is unsettling, but I already use hand sanitizer instead of using soap in public bathrooms (unless hands are really soiled) because they will have things in them that give me rashes.  I will bring my own soap if I am out of the house for more than just a quick jaunt.  Also can bring your own paper towels in your purse, or just do the "clothes wipe and air dry".  LOL

Just an FYI but hand sanitizer doest not remove gluten from hands. It just makes it cleaner gluten.

nvsmom Community Regular

Just an FYI but hand sanitizer doest not remove gluten from hands. It just makes it cleaner gluten.

That's true, but I think Laura uses the hand sanitizer in lieu of soap and water after using the toilet, which is good unless you get gluten on your hands from the toilet paper..... Which just seems like such a bizarre possibility. LOL. I hope the gluten-free watch dog looks into that too!

LauraTX Rising Star

That's right, I ain't touching no nasty gluten!  LOL.  Just takin' care of business :)  I cover things with TP or paper towels when I touch them as an added barrier (I am a total germaphobe if you didn't already hear about that) so hopefully that TP isn't gluteny or I will have to change my germ-avoidance game.  I keep paper products in my purse at all times, so if this becomes a widespread thing may have to put a one-use supply of TP in there, too.

As I type this I am very sick with a sore throat.  Can't avoid all germs, especially with a cruddy immune system :(  But I try!!!!

I will have to email gluten-free watchdog and also Kimberly Clark to ask about that and how it is processed.  Won't be today, Can't think very straight right now.

StephanieL Enthusiast

Feel better!!! 

kareng Grand Master

I am not going to worry too much about this. The grains aren't what they want in the paper. They aren't crumbling all over my salad. Perhaps someone could ask how this paper is made before panicking? I don't think this is really a new thing. I have heard that various parts of wheat have been used in paper, paper plates, napkins, etc for a few years now.

Edited to, hopefully, clarify.

kareng Grand Master

Just make sure it's all cotton!

LauraTX Rising Star

Just make sure it's all cotton!

I saw on TV... I think it was the "Extreme Cheapskates" show... But the family used newspaper to wipe instead of buying toilet paper.  I wonder how many times the kids flushed it by habit and clogged the toilet. LOL.  Ditto with the cloth wipes.  Those may go through okay I suppose. I would rather do cloth wipes than newspaper on my hiney for sure!

A Bidet is an awesome thing, too.  Had a family member who had no use of their arms.  Bidet cleaned up everything nicely and gave them some independence.  

Serielda Enthusiast

While this creeps me out about wheat in my Tp, I agree with Karen on this one. It's not like we are eating the toilet tissue. Myself I avoid anything with gluten in it just because of the nightmare it's caused me but after almost a year of constant learning since my diagnosis I'm starting to look at things more with caution not flat out freaking out like I used to. Cautiousness is smart prevention anyway you dissect an issue has became one of my rules

Archived