This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Shared Microwaves Question

Coolclimates

Coolclimates Collaborator

I have a question. I have Celiac Disease and am very sensitive to gluten. In fact, I only prepare my own food and never eat out. However, I do sometimes use other microwaves to heat up my food at work (and these microwaves have been used for gluten-containing foods). Am I in danger of having tiny bits of gluten fall into my food while I microwave it? (I do have my food on a plate or in a bowl, with no direct contact with the oven). Is it also possible that I could get gluten "fumes" that will get into my food and contaminate it?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cyclinglady Grand Master

If the oven is dirty, bits could fall in. Just always cover your dish with a paper towel or one of those plate covers that can be washed. If your office oven is really dirty, complain to the management. We have rules posted and people are generally good about cleaning spills. The janitor service cleans it and the frig throughly every Friday night. All food is tossed!

LauraTX Rising Star

Unless it is exceptionally dirty with bits clinging to the top, you should be fine just using paper towels as a barrier.  Put one under the food and one over it.  Also, wash your hands after handling it out of the microwave, just before eating, to ensure any greasy buttons you pressed didn't get gluten nasties on to your hands.  It is just a good hygiene practice overall.  Gluten fumes are not a thing, so nothing to worry about there.  Unless someone is poofing flour around in the breakroom, it is not an airborne concern.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online (within 30 mins)

a-ball
    Newest Member
    a-ball
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
      1m

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A22):

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A21):

• Upcoming Events

• awright24
      I have my endoscopy on Thursday, has anyone had the procedure done with a cough? I don't have a continuous cough, but every now and then throughout the day I have sort of coughing episodes. They are a lot better than they were but I called endoscopy and they said to speak to my gp and my gp got back to me and said I need to ask endoscopy if its ok if I have it done still.  Help!
    • MMH13
      Thank you so much, everyone. For the moment my doctor just has me taking iron but hopefully we can reconnect soon. I'm going to look into genetic testing, too. Great advice all around and I appreciate it--and you can bet I'm going off the PPIs!
    • Eldene
      I walk fast for fitness, 4 to 6 km per day. I am also 74 years old. Apart from the Celiac challenge, my lifestyle is healthy. I had a sciatiac nerve pinching under my one foot, with inflamation in my whole shin. It was almost cured, when the other shin started paining and burning. I do stretches, use a natural cooling gel and rest my feet. Can Celiac cause muscle pains/inflamation, or is it just over-excercising?
    • LovintheGFlife
      I recently started shopping at a nearby Trader Joe's store. I was surprised at the number and variety of (healthy) gluten-free options sold there. I must admit their low prices are also quite tempting. However, I am curious as to the labeling on all their packages. While none of their products are certified as gluten-free, many are identified as 'GLUTEN FREE' on the packaging. Are these items safe for celiacs? Has anyone tried Trader Joe's products and have there been any adverse reactions?
    • Beverley Ann Johnson
      HI, my doctor suggested one week of consuming gluten before blood tests.  I have been gluten free for 3 years.  Has anyone been through this and will I get exact results after one week of consuming gluten?  I don't even know if I can do this, if I get sick I am not sure if I can continue, any suggestions??  Thanks in advance.