This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Is It Leaky Gut, Glutened, Or Something Else?

ctcr201

ctcr201 Newbie

Ive been gluten-free since mid-January yet I still continue to experience IBS symptoms, etc.   The IBS symptoms have lessened substantially since going gluten-free, but I still get it a few times a week.   I've chalked it up to maybe leaky gut, recovering, etc.  

I try and stick with whole, real foods....I just am really picky when it comes to food and gluten-free foods (that would normally wouldn't be gluten-free just aren't good to me).   The only "unwhole" foods I may consume would be condiments and the like.  ((and maybe a salty snack of naturally gluten-free chips every once in a great while)).   I will say, things like grapefruit, oranges, even many berries don't agree with me...not sure if it's relevant.

The last two weekends, we've had to go out of town for various reasons.  Easter weekend, I woke up early in the morning with gut pain and some sulpher smelling belches.   Not to be graphic, but I then experienced some explosive diarrhea.   It was more than the typical other IBS things in the past.   This was frequent and became more liquid than anything else.   I had to stop every 20 minutes travelling home to use the bathroom for like the first two hours.    Even after that subsided, I still felt nauseated, though, never had to throw up.

The rest of the week was easy sailing..nothing out of the norm.

Went out of town this past weekend.   I was ok up until late last night. I suddenly started feeling really, really badly.  My stomach was cramping to the point where I had to use a heating pad.  Even then, I stayed close to the bathroom because I really thought I was going to throw up.  I didn't, but I did "spit up" things that came up.   It was really, REALLY strong smelling...but I was able to alleviate the worst of the pain after a few hours enough to sleep.

I woke up to sulphur smelling burps again, liquid diarrhea, and all kinds of bubbly, gurgly noises in my gut.  It hurts, but not like it did last night.    

So I am really not sure what is causing this.    My husband wonders if I am getting sick, but I don't feel achy or anything like that....just the gastro stuff.    I just have no idea how to figure out what is going on.  Is it leaky gut?  Did I get glutened?  

I haven't had sulphur burps since I was a kid (I am 42).  Ironically, I started getting them back again shortly after my 10 year old started getting them (we never eat the same stuff, really) a few weeks back.  I suspect she has a gluten issue based on other symptoms...we are awaiting a visit to a gastro for her. 

Any insight/help would be greatly appreciated.   I don't know how to get rid of these smelly burps.   Prilosec isn't working (I take it every day).

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

What were you eating out of town? Were you able to bring your own pans, condiments, foods etc. or did you eat at another persons home or in restaurants? Since both times you were out of town I would think that you got glutened at some point while traveling. 

Getting the hang of everything we need to do to keep us safe can take some time. For example I never knew at first that kissing a significant other who was a gluten eater or drinker could get me. That led to a few mystery glutenings for me in the beginning.

If you haven't already do be sure to read the Newbie 101 thread at the top of the Coping section. It will have a lot of valuable info for you.

I hope you are feeling much better soon.  

nvsmom Community Regular

Eating away from home could have "got" you.  It does seem suspicious since it is happening while away.

Could it just be from going away?  When I travel, even to family, my body finds it somewhat stressful and I usually end up with stomach issues, even now, 3 years gluten-free, and while preparing my own food.

You are very early in your recovery too.  At 3 month gluten-free, I had some symptoms that had improved, some hadn't changed, and a few actually were worse for a few months.  Most celiacs will need to be gluten-free a good 6 months before things are staying consistantly better, and some will need even longer.  Stay patient, and be extra careful about eating away from home in the mean time.

Best wishes.  I hope your stomach calms down soon.

ctcr201 Newbie

What were you eating out of town? Were you able to bring your own pans, condiments, foods etc. or did you eat at another persons home or in restaurants? Since both times you were out of town I would think that you got glutened at some point while traveling. 

Getting the hang of everything we need to do to keep us safe can take some time. For example I never knew at first that kissing a significant other who was a gluten eater or drinker could get me. That led to a few mystery glutenings for me in the beginning.

If you haven't already do be sure to read the Newbie 101 thread at the top of the Coping section. It will have a lot of valuable info for you.

I hope you are feeling much better soon.

We ate out.......McCallister's Deli and then at Outback.   I EVENTUALLY (after two days) threw up and was instantly better.  So maybe it wasn't a gluten issue?  It was bad, though...... it really makes me nervous eating out!!  Thanks for the info!

LauraTX Rising Star

You say that you threw up after two days and were instantly better.  It can be hard to tell sometimes whether you have been glutened or you have caught a virus or some other foodborne illness.  We can get those, too, so sometimes you just won't know what caused something.  This is why it is important, though, to remember it isn't always gluten.  So don't get scared off from eating out forever, but do try to limit it when you are able to.

Archived