This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Anyone Else Doing Low Carb?

Patt

Patt Explorer

I find it hard to find any recipes that arent deserts or loaded with carbs? right now my main meals are salads, soups and chili

Is there anything else out there?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cyclinglady Grand Master

Diet jello with unsweetened heavy whipping cream and berries

Fat bombs (coconut oil, butter, lemon, cream cheese -- there are lots of flavors)

Dark chocolate squares

Berries with Heavy Whipping Cream

Breyer's Low Carb Ice Cream

We consume these at our house, but sparingly because it will make you crave more carbs. Same goes for anything diet, like soda. I usually go for sparkling water or iced tea and flavor it with a slice of lemon.

The key is low carb, HIGH FAT, at least for diabetics. I have been on this diet for a year and a half. My diet consists of more than 50% fat. Cholesterol levels are outstanding (super low triglycerides and high HDL) and my doc is happy. I am rarely hungry.

As long as my blood sugar stays low, I am happy!

Patt Explorer

I love perrier water. I havent had any inclination to chocolate since ive been taking zinc. I seem to get by on popcorn for snacking and plenty of water behind it.

im just tired of eating salads once and awhile. I dont eat potatoes, very little rice and nothing baked or substitues. I dont even eat quinoa or any type of grain

I do good and have plenty of energy.

I made a pot of ginger parsnip soup from the jaime oliver cookbook but its getting old really fast

cyclinglady Grand Master

We eat a lot of salad, but eats lots of cooked veggies too. I most always have veggies at every meal, even breakfast! Things like roasted asparagus or cabbage, steamed: broccoli, green beans, califlower, brussel sprouts -- topped with butter, sautéed greens with bacon or olive oil, avocados, the list is endless! In a pinch I use frozen veggies, but fresh is plentiful around here and I can maintain a veggie garden year round. Oh, artichokes with mayonnaise is a favorite when in season.

This morning I had soft boiled eggs, butter, sautéed greens, and plain yogurt with heavy cream mixed in. I even add cocnut oil to my coffee for added calories. That can take me through a dog walk or run before breakfast.

I know it is hard and we tend to get into a rut -- especially when you have to be gluten free too!

Patt Explorer

So you find if you put coconut oil in your coffee you can go farther without being hungry?

my budget has been very tight since I had to start paying a lawyer for my custody battle. I like the Costco chicken trays but I don't trust why their vegetables last so long...

• 2 weeks later...
luvs2eat Collaborator

I'm not doing actual low carb, but I'm always trying hard to avoid things like bread, pasta, and obvious simple carbs. I'm such an addict!! I try hard to go for lean proteins, tons of veggies and lots of fruit, and occasional small portions of rice, etc.

twe0708 Community Regular

Are all of you losing weight by going low carb?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

twe0708 Community Regular

Are all of you losing weight by choosing to go low carb?

cyclinglady Grand Master

I am on a low carb HIGH FAT diet to control my diabetes (plus gluten-free for Celiac Disease). It had worked well for weight loss for my husband. Here is a TED talk video given by Sarah Hallberg that is fun to watch and explains how it works:

Open Original Shared Link

arrrghMatey Newbie

I've done vlc for up to 2 years at a time, but was trained to do it safely so that my seratonin, dopamine levels don't tank.

The secret to not gaining weight on this diet is to count calories.  It's easy to eat way too much on a very low carb diet. 

Patt Explorer

If I have to count calories it will never happen. With my lifestyle I just don't have the time or will to do it

any advice on portion control?

I can measure 5oz of meat, but I cant take the time to google caloric intake

nonnarae Rookie

I usually do low carb since I am borderline diabetic with hx of gestational.  Just thought I would toss out a new recipe for you try since you are bored with yours.

INGREDIENTS 

• 2 1/2 Pounds roasted whole chicken 

• 29 Fluid ounces chicken broth 

• 1 bay leaf 

• 2/3 Cups heavy cream 

• 3 Tablespoons butter 

• 3/4 Cups chopped red bell pepper 

• 1/2 Cups chopped white onion 

• 1/2 Pounds fresh sliced mushrooms 

• 17 Ounces fresh asparagus spears, cut into 1-inch pieces 

• Cuap fresh green beans, cut into 1-inch pieces 

• 1 Tablespoon chopped fresh thyme 

• 1/8 Teaspoons salt 

• 1/8 Teaspoons ground black pepper 

DIRECTIONS 

If your super market carries them, try this stew with a freshly smoked rotisserie chicken for added flavor.  This recipe makes 6 x 1.5 cup servings    

1. Remove chicken meat from the bones and skin.  Cut or tear into bite sized pieces and place into a bowl and set aside.    

2. Place cream in a small saucepan and cook over medium heat until thick and reduced by half, 5 to 7 minutes.     While cream reduces, melt butter in a medium saucepan over high heat. Sauté bell pepper and onion until softened, about 3 minutes. Add broth and bay leaf and bring to a boil, cooking until reduced by half, about 10 minutes.  

3. Add mushrooms, asparagus and green beans to the broth and cook until tender, about 7 minutes.  Add reserved chicken and simmer on low until heated through, about 3 minutes.  

4. Turn off heat and stir in reduced cream and thyme. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

I got this on the atkins website ages ago. We eat this all the time. It is amazingly delicious and as long as you use gluten-free chicken stock its all gluten-free. 

Patt Explorer

I usually do low carb since I am borderline diabetic with hx of gestational.  Just thought I would toss out a new recipe for you try since you are bored with yours.

INGREDIENTS 

• 2 1/2 Pounds roasted whole chicken 

• 29 Fluid ounces chicken broth 

• 1 bay leaf 

• 2/3 Cups heavy cream 

• 3 Tablespoons butter 

• 3/4 Cups chopped red bell pepper 

• 1/2 Cups chopped white onion 

• 1/2 Pounds fresh sliced mushrooms 

• 17 Ounces fresh asparagus spears, cut into 1-inch pieces 

• Cuap fresh green beans, cut into 1-inch pieces 

• 1 Tablespoon chopped fresh thyme 

• 1/8 Teaspoons salt 

• 1/8 Teaspoons ground black pepper 

DIRECTIONS 

If your super market carries them, try this stew with a freshly smoked rotisserie chicken for added flavor.  This recipe makes 6 x 1.5 cup servings    

1. Remove chicken meat from the bones and skin.  Cut or tear into bite sized pieces and place into a bowl and set aside.    

2. Place cream in a small saucepan and cook over medium heat until thick and reduced by half, 5 to 7 minutes.     While cream reduces, melt butter in a medium saucepan over high heat. Sauté bell pepper and onion until softened, about 3 minutes. Add broth and bay leaf and bring to a boil, cooking until reduced by half, about 10 minutes.  

3. Add mushrooms, asparagus and green beans to the broth and cook until tender, about 7 minutes.  Add reserved chicken and simmer on low until heated through, about 3 minutes.  

4. Turn off heat and stir in reduced cream and thyme. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

I got this on the atkins website ages ago. We eat this all the time. It is amazingly delicious and as long as you use gluten-free chicken stock its all gluten-free. 

Whoaaa!! This sounds like my next new main dish. :) I wonder what I can use to sub heavy cream? Dairy gives me migraines for some reason. I love earth balance butter but I dont think I can use sy or almond milk...

Is it true that people with lactose intolerance can drink goats milk?

nonnarae Rookie

I read to use coconut cream or puree tofu.   I would say try the coconut cream first. I found my cans in the asian foods. 

Open Original Shared Link

Patt Explorer

OMG this is amazing

I used the coconut milk like you said, the heavier kind did great. I didnt really feel the need to reduce it as I wasnt even sure if it would anyway.

used all the same vegetables but I added okra and some shrimp.

Its a nice change from my salads :D

thanks nonnarae

• 4 weeks later...
nonnarae Rookie

your welcome patt! I am glad you like it. It is a favorite in my house too! 

Archived