This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Help Me Pack Snacks For My Trip?

icelandgirl

icelandgirl Proficient

My family and I are going on vacation and I'm super excited and also a bit nervous. Nervous about food. So annoying, but it's true. So...from the time we leave our house in the early AM until we arrive at our rental condo will be about 8 hours. What should I pack to eat on the plane? I need a plan. To make it a bit more difficult I'm soy free as well. Would love your help...thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Darissa Contributor

We bake or make a lot of items to take with us on trips prior to going. I pack things in individual baggies or hard plastic containers.  Homemade muffins. Peanut butter and honey or jelly sandwiches (no fridge needed!). Trial mixes. Dried Fruit. We like the Go Picnic boxes (not all are gluten-free, so watch that ..not sure on soy for those). Apples. Jerky. Popcorn baggies. Carrots. NoGii protein bars. Individual humus packages (no fridge if buy it like that premade ones) or individual peanut butter packages and eat with crackers/carrots/celery sticks.

Good luck!

icelandgirl Proficient

Thanks Darisa! Great ideas. I definitely could bake something for us to have. I had thought of Larabar ubers and bananas, but didn't seem like enough for 8 hours. And when I get hungry I get cranky. Lol!

bartfull Rising Star

With a small insulated bag you could take tuna (or any other kind of) sandwiches.

icelandgirl Proficient

Good idea bart! I do eat tuna, but probably wouldn't bring it on the plane because if smell...but maybe another kind of sandwich. We're leaving our house at 5 AM...so I need to have something for breakfast-lunch.

• 2 weeks later...
Alwayssomething Contributor

I just returned from flying both flights had early departures and thanks to airline changes long layovers here are some things I took:

I froze cheese sticks and they were my "ice pack" for my insulated soft cooler

Hard boiled egg I had peeled the night before

Small bags of Smartpop Popcorn

Kind Bars

Chex Mix Granola.

gluten-free Trail mix

I saw a lady with three small children traveling, she had brought sliced apples and oranges.  

Due to the long layovers I was able to explore the airports, all had fresh fruit, lara bars, kind bars, caveman bars, and or course chips and candy that were all gluten free.   Only one airport was a large international airport the others were small regional and they had these items too, so I was surprised.  

icelandgirl Proficient

Thanks Always! Good ideas. We leave in a few days and I'm excited, but anxious. I've got a little stash planned to bring...bananas, lara bars, cashews, snackaroons and chex...All things I eat safely. Wish me luck!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Gemini Experienced

Have a wonderful, safe eatin' trip, icelandgirl!  You'll be fine!  Make sure to fill us in on all the details when you return.   :)

• 5 weeks later...
cap6 Enthusiast

I have a letter from my dr stating that I have celiac and must be allowed to carry my own gluten free food.  I had to use it once!  They read the letter, gave me a pat-down (!!!) and let me take my food. 

Archived