This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Psychosomatic Symptoms

nonnarae

nonnarae Rookie

Does anyone else have a problem with stomach cramps just from smelling wheat bread? Since my dx I have really had problems when I go to the grocery. 1st I am seriously paranoid about being glutened. The migraine, hot poker stomach and instant tired are awful. It has gotten tot he point where even walking through the bakery at the store makes my stomach sort of crampy. It goes away once I leave the area or cant smell the baked goods anymore. It has been nice on one hand. I don't crave gluten foods; however, its pretty bad going tot he grocery.

Does anyone else have this issue?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cyclinglady Grand Master

Anxiety levels can run high when you are either undiagnosed or just diagnosed! I blamed it on menopause, but a lot of it was from celiac disease. Talk to my hubby and he will tell you that I am normal again (thanks to gluten-free and hormone replacement )

Just wash your hands when you get home from the store to protect you from gluten and germs! Take this time to have family and friends help you shop, clean house, etc. Anything that will help you relax. You should be babied! I fractured my back two months into my diagnosis. Amazingly, my family stepped up and I learned to let things go. Eventually, you will be back to normal!

nvsmom Community Regular

I get a bit nervous around bread too.  I feel much better when I am out of the bakery aisle of the supermarket. LOL  

For me it is just nerves. I KNOW being near it won't hurt me but I don't relax by it... Sort of like I know the spider can't hurt me but if it lands on me, I still react (much) stronger than I should.  ;)

mamaw Community Regular

I've been gluten-free  for  twelve  years  now  very strict...very clean eating.. But I still  get a  weird ill feeling  when I go past an Auntie Ann pretzel  place... I can be in fast food  &  everything  else  just  this one  gets me!

she-phipps Newbie

I wonder if it's not the smell but maybe particles in the air?  If you're that sensitive, even being in the same room as dough that's tossed around all day long in flour could leave you inhaling it's dust and then experiencing a reaction. Have you ever looked at your kitchen after baking?  There's always a fine dusting almost everywhere (except my dust is gluten free in my own kitchen). ;-)

My friend's son has an anaphylactic allergy to wheat and he can't be in the same room even when a cake is being mixed without a reaction.

notme Experienced

I wonder if it's not the smell but maybe particles in the air?  If you're that sensitive, even being in the same room as dough that's tossed around all day long in flour could leave you inhaling it's dust and then experiencing a reaction. Have you ever looked at your kitchen after baking?  There's always a fine dusting almost everywhere (except my dust is gluten free in my own kitchen). ;-)

My friend's son has an anaphylactic allergy to wheat and he can't be in the same room even when a cake is being mixed without a reaction.

if you are breathing flour dust from baking that can be in the air, it's a thing.  because you breathe it into your mouth and then swallow it (ingesting it) and then a reaction can be a reality.  the bread aisle at the wal-mart = not so much.  because they aren't actually baking it or mixing it, you can just smell the aroma.  so, dust = maybe a possibility of a real reaction, smelling it is not without anything to actually ingest.  

wheat allergy isn't celiac, although i'm sure the reaction is serious.  somebody with a wheat allergy maybe cannot walk down the bread aisle, i do not know, but for celiac, you have to actually have particles that are ingested.

mamaw Community Regular

It's  the  smell   I   run past  one  holding  my breath every time I pass  one... I  also  cover  my  nose  with my hand... Believe  I look like  Mario A  running  past  one of these  joints!!!!!! I also  walk  longer  distances to avoid  one of these  places....up close....

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

notme Experienced

lolz newsflash:   WOMAN PASSES OUT FROM HOLDING BREATH IN BAKERY  that would be me...........

reality is, if you live in The World, you stand a chance of getting cc'd from just about anywhere.  think about it, do people wash their hands *after* they eat their meal/sandwich?  nope.  but they sure do open doors and turn on lights, etc.  

mamaw Community Regular

Arlene , maybe  we need to  start  a  new  support  group!!!!!! :wub:

• 2 weeks later...
nonnarae Rookie

I at least know that I am not alone in my issues! I am talking about at my local Smith's. They do bake all their own cakes and breads. Uggghh I hope I am not that sensitive. 

How do you eat out?

nvsmom Community Regular

How do you eat out?

I hardly ever do.  Maybe once per year.

mamaw Community Regular

I do  eat  out  & only go to restaurants  that have  a gluten-free menu....I am very selective, I always  remind  them  to  make  my salad  in a clean bowl ( some are  made  in BIG  bowls in the am) change  gloves, no croutons....Meat  prepared  on  foil, baked  potato or  sweet potato  in foil.  individual  butter  packets....  they may  think I'm overkill  but  I  don't  get  gluten   !!!!

Archived