This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gardasil And Celiac

LookingforAnswers15

LookingforAnswers15 Enthusiast

Hi all,

I was diagnosed last year and since then I religiously follow gluten-free diet. However, I do not feel any better and I am afraid of other auto-immune diseases. I have been trying to figure out how and when all my symptoms began and I cannot exactly remember because prior to my diagnosis I did not have or did not notice too many problems (I was working a lot so I wasn't really paying attention to myself as much as I should have). Anyhow, a few days ago I began thinking of all shots that I got and thought of Gardasil. I found some stuff online about its possible link with auto-immune diseases. Have you heard of this? Do you think there could be a connection? Have your doctors said anything? 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cyclinglady Grand Master

I am not aware of any Gardasil and celiac disease link. I never had the vaccine and yet I still developed celiac disease and Hashimoto's thyroiditis. I think AI diseases tend to run in families and my family is riddled with them.

I can tell you that my daughter had a seizure when this vaccine was administered to her. Scared the $&@% out of me! She will not get the second or third shots. She can take her chances getting cervical cancer! This was a rare reaction, but in hindsight (knowing how AI runs so strongly on both sides), I would have had her skip this vaccination.

Gemini Experienced

There may not be a link established between Gardasil and Celiac but vaccines affect the immune system so it is possible that having a vaccine that can cause some nasty side effects could possibly trigger an AI disease.  You will never see the AMA doing studies on this either because that could open them up to liability.  I am not against vaccines, either, but think kids receive way too many today and not all are needed.

FYI.....cervical cancer is classified as a sexually transmitted disease, as it is caused by a virus that is passed between partners.  The more sex partners a person has, the greater the risk.  Of course, a person could be unlucky and pick up the virus from just one sexual encounter but it is more often seen in people with multiple partners.  Moral of story......choose your mate wisely and be monogamous!  Also, there is testing that can identify if you have been exposed to the virus.  It can go dormant so multiple negatives are needed to pretty much assure yourself that you have not been exposed.  I have had 2 negatives so I am OK on that front.  You can have it done when you have a pap smear so ask your doctor about it.

mommida Enthusiast

I read years ago about vaccines NOT including the auto- immune contraindication for vaccines.  As the link was discovered on the HLA chain of DNA.  Sadly it was considered useless information because the average person has not had, or will ever have, genetic testing before being vaccinated.

Remember to look at family medical history and the contraindication area of the vaccine package insert.

• 4 weeks later...
Mereloo Newbie

Actually, according to the CDC, nearly all sexually active people will have HPV at some point in their life, although most strains don't cause cancer, including the strains that cause the warts. Some people even pick it up from their mothers during childbirth, I think. It's extremely common (over 50% of the adult population has it), so even if you have one partner, there's still a pretty high chance that you can get it, though limiting the number of partners can help.

I'm kind of pissed that my insurance won't cover it because I'm "too old" even though I tested HPV negative. I was "too old" when it came out as well, as the assumption was you were already likely exposed if you were a certain age. (Never mind that I started late.) Then they raised the age, and I was still too old. Can't afford to cover it out of pocket. :-/

Gemini Experienced

I highly doubt that being monogamous would put you in the same risk pool as those who are not.  Talk to most doctors and they will tell you the same thing.  The more sex partners you have, the greater your risk of contracting the virus.  From what I have learned, the virus can go dormant in your system and it will not show up on testing, hence the need for multiple tests over time before they declare you free of the virus. It might have to be in its active state before it can be transmitted between partners also.  The notion that nearly all sexually active people will have it at some point in their lives is ridiculous, unless the population is sleeping around a lot more than I think.

But HPV remains one of the leading causes of cervical cancer.  I am not being judgmental about people's choices but all actions have consequences and I am not sure if I would allow a teenage daughter (if I had one) to have a vaccine that is not really necessary. She could do as she wishes at age 18 but before that?  Nope. 

• 11 months later...
lorun15 Newbie

I have this same issue! I got gardasil in 2009 and have never been the same since. Celiac disease, thyroid problems. I used to be healthy and active and since I got that shot I have never been the same.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 4 months later...
JenTow Newbie

My daughter is 15 and just diagnosed Celiac.  She has NOT yet had HPV vaccine.  We purposefully decided to wait until she became sexually active.  So her celiac was not related to the vaccine.  

cstark Enthusiast
On ‎7‎/‎14‎/‎2015 at 1:17 PM, Mereloo said:

Actually, according to the CDC, nearly all sexually active people will have HPV at some point in their life, although most strains don't cause cancer, including the strains that cause the warts. Some people even pick it up from their mothers during childbirth, I think. It's extremely common (over 50% of the adult population has it), so even if you have one partner, there's still a pretty high chance that you can get it, though limiting the number of partners can help.

I'm kind of pissed that my insurance won't cover it because I'm "too old" even though I tested HPV negative. I was "too old" when it came out as well, as the assumption was you were already likely exposed if you were a certain age. (Never mind that I started late.) Then they raised the age, and I was still too old. Can't afford to cover it out of pocket. :-/

And we trust everything the CDC says when it declares something as all inclusive.  I am sorry, but I will need to draw the line here.  I know of several people who are sexually active who have no problems.  On small soapbox here, so please bear with me.

This is just one of the myriad of vaccinations CDC/society says we need to give our children before the even reach adolescence as a "preventive" measure.  There are very few vaccinations that are needed due to the severity of symptoms from the different disease such as polio and diphtheria.  If given too many vaccinations at one time, it could result in irreparable damage to the patient, even if the pharmaceutical/medical/CDC says this is not true.  Too many cases prove otherwise.

So the bottom line, do we vaccinate our kids with a vaccine they may not even need a few years down the road if they make the right choices in their life?  Where is the parental supervision?

Archived