This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

I'm Back And I'm Sick

bartfull

bartfull Rising Star

Hi everybody. Computer problems have kept me away for the past week or so. Got that solved but during that time something happened. I can't figure it out.

I have not eaten anything different, yet I have all the signs of a glutening. My psoriasis is flaring and both my hands and feet feel like they're on fire. My ankles are swollen and I've been getting charlie horses. My insomnia is unbearable. My gut aches after I eat. And - WARNING: TMI - although my stool is fairly solid there is blood INSIDE it, kind of like the white cream inside those caramel candies. Solid poop with a red center. (Sorry.)

The only thing I can figure is something I have been normally eating is CC'd. Or maybe I'm having problems with a new intolerance? Anyway, I am miserable. My hands hurt so badly it's almost impossible to play guitar so when students come for lessons we work on music theory. (I can do that with paper and pen instead of a guitar.)

It looks like I am going to have to do another elimination diet. :( I was so happy to be gaining back all of those foods, and now I have probably lost them again. I'll have to get it down to meats and vegetables for a while. YUCK! Although those are OK, I'm going to miss my grilled cheeses and my ice cream and everything else.

RATS!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Gemini Experienced

Are you sure this is food related, Barty, or another AI problem rearing it's ugly head?  Plus, with the issues you are having with your stomach and stool, maybe you ought to go see a doctor?  It could be something entirely different.

I hope this goes away and you feel like your old self again.  It's tough enough feeling bad but when you have to work, it can be downright torture, I know!  :(

squirmingitch Veteran

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{Great big huge hugs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

I know you don't eat much processed foods at all but I would ditch them first. And I think Gemini is right in her suggestion to see a doc.  

bartfull Rising Star

No doctor. The only one I liked or could afford moved away.

Does anybody know if thyroid problems can cause these types of symptoms? I ask because thyroid trouble is so common in celiacs and I've never been able to have mine checked.

Other than that I can't help but think it's gluten because the symptoms are the same as I used to get.

Gemini Experienced

No doctor. The only one I liked or could afford moved away.

As much as I think you should find one because of your symptoms, I totally understand your feelings. It is not easy finding a doctor you feel comfortable with and can trust. Up until I was 46 years old, I never went to doctors.  Could not find one I liked and the ones I did see screwed up so badly with the Celiac thing, the trust was gone.  But if you keep on having bloody stool, that might make you have to go to one....and I wouldn't like it either!

As for your other symptoms, some of them could be thyroid related.  I have Hashi's so know what the problems are.  Insomnia, swelling, joint and muscle pain/ cramps could all be from a malfunctioning thyroid.  Is there no place to have some basic testing done? 

bartfull Rising Star

Not without a lot of money I don't have right now. I looked up natural remedies for hypothyroid and they listed some stuff I should be eating and other things that I shouldn't. One thing I do know and it's kind of embarassing - it never occurred to me that I'm not getting any iodine. I don't use salt and I've been severely limiting potatoes. I hardly ever eat seafood (although I love it) because all I can get here is the Chinese junk.

I went out and bought some iodized salt and some bananas. (If you've never tried salt on bananas you don't know what you're missing.) Maybe if I start getting iodine this mess will clear up?

icelandgirl Proficient

I'm so sorry! ((((Hugs))))

I hope for you that it's not food related as I know how much you've enjoyed getting foods back. Maybe try just the basics for a week to see if things settle down? When my gut gets bad I do chicken in the crockpot in broth, potatoes or sweet potatoes and a well cooked veggie.

I agree with Gemini on the possibility of another AI...so many of us seem to have them. I know with Hashis it's definitely given me severe aches and pains when I've gone hypo...lots of D when I've gone hyper. I know I've seen that you can order your own thyroid blood work but I'm not sure what it costs. If it is thyroid the medication is pretty cheap compared to most and it could really help.

I sure hope you start to feel better...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cyclinglady Grand Master

Hugs!

Your symptoms do not match my Hashi's symptoms (running hyper or hypo), but sound a lot like a food intolerance. I can tell you that I ate lots of jalapeño peppers the other day and they made me sick. Woke up with tummy rumblings, could not get back to sleep and my roseacea flared.

I hope you figure it out!

beth01 Enthusiast

Hugs to you Bart, I'm in the same boat right now.  It's driving me crazy trying to figure out just WTF is going on.  Is it my diet? - don't think so, everything I eat or could make it's way into my mouth has been checked, checked and then checked again.  Thyroid?  Levels are normal, went back to my old meds even though I've been reassured by the company that makes the new ones, that they are in fact gluten free ( switched them a week ago, still no change).  I know when my TSH is high, I get awful cramps and insomnia, but so does gluten  ARGHHHHH.  The bloody stool - who knows?  I guess I can't say if the Thyroid issues alone  can cause that or if it's gluten, I have had it during a hypo flare, but my tTg levels have never been normal, been stuck at the same level now for six months so I can't say for sure.  I wish I could help, but I can't except for common support.

kareng Grand Master

Sorry to hear this.  I have to agree with Gemini that a doctor's appt might be necessary if the blood contimues.

nvsmom Community Regular

:(  Aw geez, that's just not fair.  (hugs)  I'm afraid it doesn't sound too much like my hypo symptoms either, but I'm a pretty typical hypothyroid patient (fatigue/sluggish, headaches, dry skin and hair, hair loss, constipation - which can cause blood on BM's but not in them - and joint pain).  I do get swollen ankles (often with heat) and muscle cramps (shin) too but I don't think it is specifically hypo related.

If it is hashi's, and you are hypo, all you can really do is take thyroid meds to help it.  Supplements can help thyroid function, but if you are hypo, it won't change that unless you are barely hypo... from what I know. Free T3 is he thyroid test that can tell you the most, followed by TSH, FT4 and TPO Ab and TG Ab.

L-glutamine can help with healing mucosal lining - it might help for a while.

I hope it was some gluten that snuck in somewhere and not something new.  See a doc if it continues, okay?  Take photos of your symptoms (and poo) to show for evidence when you go in case it continues.  (hugs) to you.  Feel better soon.

mamaw Community Regular

sorry  you are  having  this  issued.I don't want t o scare  you  but PLEASE I'm Begging now, if  you have  this much blood in your  stool  & you haven't eaten something  like a  quart  of  beets  at  one time , you  need to go to a clinic  or  doctor or  ER  ......please,  please ,please  don't put this off Be safe ......I have two friends who  had  less blood  than that  in their stool , laughed  at me  for begging them  to go  check it out, didn't go & now  wear a bag...totally not  worth it.... it  is never  normal to have large amounts of blood  in stool.

You could  have  internal bleeding,  an ulcer.....  hugs

bartfull Rising Star

Thanks everybody. I've never met any of you but I can honestly say you are some of the finest people in the world. :wub:

mamaw Community Regular

all we want is for you to check out the blood in stool!!!! hugs

1desperateladysaved Proficient

Sorry, to hear this Bartful.  Hoping you will feel better soon.

Dee

icelandgirl Proficient

Hey Bartfull...just wanting to see how you are...is anything improving? Have you figured anything out? Hoping you are feeling better. (((Hugs)))

bartfull Rising Star

Well, there hasn't been any more blood. My hands and feet are still a mess and the rest of it (including the insomnia which is the worst) is still going on. It'll take another week or so I think.

I'm pretty sure it was CC in the ice cream. Although there are no gluten ingredients and I have eaten lots of it before, they do make cookies and cream in the same facility, and most likely on the same equipment. Someone probably didn't clean the equipment well enough.

Thanks for asking. :)

icelandgirl Proficient

I'm so glad for you that the blood is gone! Hoping you get all better in the next week. When I get hyperthyroid I have insomnia and it's the worst.

Bummer about the ice cream. Since adding back a bit of dairy I've stuck with Breyers natural vanilla...but I do worry about the cc possibilities.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Glad to hear you are doing a bit better. I get the bleeding when glutened also and it is scarey. 

squirmingitch Veteran

I can't tell how how great it is that the bleeding has stopped. That was the big worry. I hope the rest clears up real soon.

mamaw Community Regular

Glad  you  are seeing  improvement & the bleeding  has gone...... the  important  thing  is your well being.....  hugs

bartfull Rising Star

Thanks again all you wonderful peeps!

I have made a decision. I WILL sleep tonight!!!!! I will, I will, I will... :unsure:

squirmingitch Veteran

To help you sleep.

bartfull Rising Star

:lol:

C-Girl Contributor

Well, there hasn't been any more blood. My hands and feet are still a mess and the rest of it (including the insomnia which is the worst) is still going on. It'll take another week or so I think.

I'm pretty sure it was CC in the ice cream. Although there are no gluten ingredients and I have eaten lots of it before, they do make cookies and cream in the same facility, and most likely on the same equipment. Someone probably didn't clean the equipment well enough.

Thanks for asking. :)

It wasn't Blue Bell ice cream was it? They've Open Original Shared Link all of their ice cream because of listeria contamination.

Archived