37 replies to this topic

#16 Idahogirl

Idahogirl

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 04:37 PM

My DH was never "blistery" until later on in life. It was always just like a heat rash. It started on only my elbows and knees, then I started getting it on my hands and feet. Now it shows up all the places previously mentioned. It started getting worse after the birth of my son.

If you're doing the diet, then I wouldn't worry about it too much. But if you have flare-ups when you accidentally eat gluten, a dose of Dapsone could probably help to keep that under control (if it's DH). Not everyone's the same, so you never know if that's what it is or not. Just a thought anyways.

Lisa

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 Guest_nini_*

Guest_nini_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 November 2005 - 05:55 PM

If you know that gluten is the source of your rashes it does not matter one whit if you have a Dr. confirm it. As far as your husband and his unreasonable request, I agree with the comment that YOUR FOOD WON'T MAKE HIM SICK... there are some awesome stuffing recipes, in fact, I use my me-maw's traditional cornbread stuffing recipe, I just converted it to gluten free... My entire family absolutely raves about it. Also, it's very dangerous to cook the stuffing INSIDE the bird, you can end up with some serious food poisoning from this.

If you don't stand up for yourself, who will? My husband gripes and complains about me not cooking anything "normal" for him... or at least he did in the beginning. He's getting a lot better about it.

I recommend that you read Dangerous Grains, and get him to read it too. This may open his eyes to the seriousness of this.

#18 jknnej

jknnej

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 06:50 PM

You need to really educate your husband so that he understands what you go through when you eat gluten. If he still acts that way it is extremely insensitive. Don't put up with it. Do you cook the turkey? If so, I would say "Ummm, would you like to eat?" LOL
In all seriousness, though, anyone who would sacrifice your health or well being, even for the moment, for a bite of turkey, doesn't deserve you cooking it for them. My husband had a hard time accepting this, too, but he would never insist on my preparing or eating a meal with gluten in it and if he did there would be major trouble in our house. ESPECIALLY since you get blistery, which means even preparing the food is harmful to you!
It's just food. Tell him that!

Sorry for my soapbox. I am so NOT old fashioned. I don't know if you are or not so I hope I'm not offending. I'm not saying it like a bad thing: I have friends who cook every meal for their hubbies and do all the housework, raise the kids, etc. I respect that. I just seriously would go berserk if my hubby ever said anything like that to me.

#19 debmidge

debmidge

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,566 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 03:22 AM

The alternative way to handle this is to get gluten-free bread cubes and make the stuffing gluten-free without telling him until he sees you eating it. But I am sneaky like that, I would try to get my way no matter what. Before my husband was celiac, I was always lactose intolerant and made dairy based desserts with lactaid drops, he moaned that it made the food taste different, so I said I wouldn't do it any more, but used the drops anyway and he never caught on and never said that the food tasted different. Being gluten free is important and it's your holiday too. You are the hostess/cook/chef/skullery person so it should be up to you. Besides if no one knows the stuffing is gluten-free what difference would it make?
Husband has Celiac Disease and
Husband misdiagnosed for 27 yrs -
The misdiagnosis was: IBS or colitis
Mis-diagnosed from 1977 to 2003 by various gastros including one of the largest,
most prestigious medical groups in northern NJ which constantly advertises themselves as
being the "best." This GI told him it was "all in his head."
Serious Depressive state ensued
Finally Diagnosed with celiac disease in 2003
Other food sensitivities: almost all fruits, vegetables, spices, eggs, nuts, yeast, fried foods, roughage, soy.
Needs to gain back at least 25 lbs. of the 40 lbs pounds he lost - lost a great amout of body fat and muscle
Developed neuropathy in 2005
Now has lymphadema 2006
It is my opinion that his subsequent disorders could have been avoided had he been diagnosed sooner by any of the dozen or so doctors he saw between 1977 to 2003

#20 mart

mart

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 06:41 AM

I recently read an article written by a dermatologist (can't remember where now) that the medical community used to think that some people who had DH had celiac disease. He said they now know that everyone who has DH has celiac disease. I think it's worth discussing with a good dermatologist.

#21 jenvan

jenvan

Lynne took this picture! :)

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 06:59 AM

Jeanne-
that is frustrating that your husband isn't even willing to try gluten-free stuffing sometime. i guess you have a few options...try and really discuss what's at the heart of the "stuffing" issue and see if he can become willing. try and show how much his support is needed, and how serious this issue (even stuffing is). this would be my approach. second is to say 'if you want your own regular stuffing, you can make yourself.' :) or you could try and sneak it in and not tell him. that approach doesn't always work the best...it wouldn't motivate my husband, it would make him angry, and only make things worse in the end for me. lastly, you can "carefully" throw some stove top in the turkey, but keep yourself away from that food. cook your own separate meat. and make sure utensils don't get switched around from one plate or dish to another. that can happen with big families eating, and it could end up contaminating your food. i actually buy a mini gluten-free ham (i can eat turkey anyway) and take it to the big family meals. like jersey angel said...you could cook some meat for yourself separately. if you choose this route, i would advise still talking to your husband...and let him know that you do not want cooking non-gluten-free meals to become a lifestyle. just some of my suggestions. good luck with all of that--let us know what you decide!
~~~~~~~
Jen
Indianapolis, IN

gluten-free since Feb 2005
dairy-free

#22 debmidge

debmidge

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,566 posts

Posted 18 November 2005 - 03:28 AM

Jen, You're right cooking with gluten sets up a bad precedence, but accepting that gluten-free is abnormal, and making your own separate turkey w/gluten-free Stuff you're setting up a "second-class" citizen future. My theory is to not ask "Is gluten-free acceptable?" Just consider gluten-free as normal and proceed accordingly. If you're going to argue over gluten-free anyway, why not do it the gluten-free way to start with.
Mis-diagnosed from 1977 to 2003 by various gastros including one of the largest,
most prestigious medical groups in northern NJ which constantly advertises themselves as
Other food sensitivities: almost all fruits, vegetables, spices, eggs, nuts, yeast, fried foods, roughage, soy.
Needs to gain back at least 25 lbs. of the 40 lbs pounds he lost - lost a great amout of body fat and muscle
Now has lymphadema 2006
It is my opinion that his subsequent disorders could have been avoided had he been diagnosed sooner by any of the dozen or so doctors he saw between 1977 to 2003

#23 jnclelland

jnclelland

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 19 November 2005 - 07:16 AM

Gee, I must have made my hubby sound more insensitive than he really is! He's actually been very supportive overall; it's just an adjustment for him as well as for me. I think that in the end he's going to agree to cook his stuffing outside of the turkey; it was just that when I first mentioned it, it hadn't occurred to him before, and he has to go through his own "grieving" process about letting go of this particular Thanksgiving tradition.

In general, we both love to cook, and it's been hard for him not to be able to cook a lot of things for me that he has always loved to cook. (It's not just gluten; it's also dairy, yeast, and vinegar, so I really can't eat ANYTHING interesting from our former repertoire.) And he IS trying his best to be accommodating, but as I said, it's an adjustment.

At any rate, *I* ordered the turkey from the store, so if I have to, I'll use the I-paid-for-it-I'm-damn-well-gonna-be-able-to-eat-it argument. But I think he'll come around!

Thanks for all the supoprt; this board is really great!

Jeanne

#24 jnclelland

jnclelland

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 20 November 2005 - 02:17 PM

Well, it seems that one of our friends who's coming for dinner wants to make a big pot of stuffing, NOT cooked in the turkey, and hubby is fine with that. so, problem solved! :-)

Jeanne

#25 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 20 November 2005 - 02:27 PM

Jeanne--Thanks for letting us know so we don't have to worry about ya! :) Happy Thanksgiving to you and your husband.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#26 Carriefaith

Carriefaith

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 20 November 2005 - 06:59 PM

Cooking gluten stuffing in the turkey could make you quick sick. The turkey will be contaminated. I've been making variations of the gluten free stuffing recipe below ever since I was diagnosed and everyone always loves it. At Thanksgiving dinner this year, everyone loved it and said that they couldn't tell the difference between my stuffing and gluten stuffing.

Stuffing
* 4 shallots, minced
* 2 onions, diced
* 5 celery ribs, diced
* 5 carrots, diced
* 2-3 TB butter (I use soybean butter)
* 2 tbl dry sage
* 2 tbl dry thyme
* 2 tbl dry summer savory
* dash of pepper
* 1 cup white wine
* 1 loaf gluten-free bread, cubed (I use Kinnikinnick Italian white tapioca, thawed)
* 1 cup gluten-free chicken stock (I use 1 cup of Imagine chicken broth, or 2
cubes of McCormick chicken bouillon and 1 cup of water).

I put all vegetables in a food processor and I blend them until they are smooth.
Sauté the vegetables in the butter until they are soft. Add the seasonings and cook over medium heat for 2 minutes. Add the white wine, and continue cooking over medium heat until the liquid is reduced by half. In a large bowl, mix the sautéed vegetables with the bread cubes, chicken stock, and parsley. Transfer to a baking dish and bake for 20 minutes at 325̊ F.

Variations:
Add finely diced sausage or bacon bits to the sauté, or toss in diced chestnuts, apples, or raisins. For cornbread stuffing, try adding dried cranberries or toasted pecans.
http://www.wholefood...f_stuffing.html
Carrie Faith

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease in March 2004
Postitive tTg Blood Test, December 2003
Positive Biopsy, March 3, 2004

#27 Guest_mlwaller_*

Guest_mlwaller_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 November 2005 - 07:42 PM

Kate, how were you tested for all the intolerances? I was skin prick allergy tested in 1998 and allergic to nearly everything inhaled, eaten, etc. Skin biopsy for DH was not positive, then tested for celiac in 2000 (negative bloodwork). My daughter was biopsy proven celiac 1/2005 and I had gene testing and have 2 alleles for celiac. I went gluten-free with my daughter 1/2005 and skin has improved greatly but not completely. I don't know if I should go further with testing. Thanks for any input.

#28 cindyann

cindyann

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 November 2005 - 07:49 PM

Hi, I'm sorry, I didn't log out as my daughter, Megan, and replied to the previous message.

Cindy

#29 skbird

skbird

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 20 November 2005 - 08:25 PM

This is interesting, I just went through this with my mom. She was trying to make it be ok to stuff the bird with regular stuff (for my brother) and I could just eat the breast, right? Outside of the bird? I couldn't get her to see the risk there so I took it up a notch - in my family I'm the one who makes the gravy, mainly because no one else wants to try for some silly reason. I said I couldn't have the gravy if the drippings came from a gluten-stuffed bird, which is not fair to me, so I wouldn't make it if that was the case. Suddenly, my mom has heard of this new recipe where the turkey is cooked at a higher temp, and no stuffing. There will be a dish of stuffing made for my brother, drizzled with some of the drippings, and a dish of wild rice stuffing made by me, ready for a good dipper-full of gravy... Mmmmmm...

Anyway, I'm glad it all worked out for you and your husband. I know what a cost it is to not have stuffing from inside the bird - my favorite, but these are the breaks...

:)

Stephanie
Diagnosed by food challenge, 10/04
Gluten-free since 10/04
Gluten-sensitive genes: HLA-DQ 1,3 (Subtype 6,9)
Interstitial Cystitis, 7/07
Fibromyalgia, 6/11

#30 debmidge

debmidge

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,566 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 04:37 AM

Glad it worked out, have a nice Thanksgiving.
Now has lymphadema 2006

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: