This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

6 Years

Googles

Googles Community Regular

I've been gluten free for 6 years this month from the day after I got my diagnosis. It is hard to believe that it has been that long. I knew I needed to go gluten free immediately or I would keep putting it off. I've learned so much. I'm so glad that I am feeling better. I am still emotionally coping with having to give up dairy about  2 months ago but I know I will come to terms with that too after I figure that all out.  I am doing so much better after going gluten free. All of the symptoms that had been developing since I was a child and had never been seen as connected to one condition (and some which I didn't even know were not normal as they had been around for so long,) have gone away and pretty much only come up when I get glutened again. Along with this I finally found a GI doc who I like. I was talking with colleagues today about our teenage years and so many things seemed to start about then. The relief from my depression that came with going gluten free which was just getting worse as I got over is like nothing I ever remember experiencing before going gluten free. It was such a relief today thinking back to that time and how much better than that it is now. I can't imagine what it would have gotten to had I not gotten diagnosed then. (And I know that people here have experienced that). The best thing from the diagnosis for me was the relief from my severe depression which had lasted for 12 years without relief. 

What was the best improvement in symptoms that you had when you went gluten free? Which one are you most happy to have gone? 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cyclinglady Grand Master

I am sitting in my gluten-free front porch on a late summer evening with my faithful black lab at my feet pondering about how I will respond to your posting. Life is good. It is not easy and it never has been, but now I feel like my old self. I can handle so much more physically and emotionally.

I have been gluten free for over two years. Most of my symptoms are gone. I do not miss being anemic. It was so severe that I took breaks constantly because I was exhausted. I could hardly breathe. Just by sheer grit I was able to ride my bike for any great distance. How I manged to run a 1/2 marathon in my condition is beyond me! My anxiety is gone. I thought the anxiety was just attributed to that final year of menopause, but it was my celiac disease and unstable thyroid. My allergies are practically gone. I used to live on allergy meds. Food intolerances and allergic reactions (that would land me in ER) occurred often and are now resolved (I think!). Even my cold uterica is gone and I had that since is was a toddler. Now, I am just hoping for bone improvement.

I used to think that anemia was my only symptom. But that was not really true. Celiac disease was probably the root cause of so many of my past health issues that would come and go. I am thankful that my diagnosis will help others in my family for future generations and not one will have to hear that, "It's all in your head!"

Whew! I have got to get going! I have a teen to pick up from a party. I need to put

final touches on the picnic I prepared for tomorrow's water polo tournament (I miss the ease of eating out). And there's that "last" load of laundry to get done (I just hate to fold and put clothes away!)

Glad you are feeling better, Googles!

Jays911 Contributor

The depression. I can only imagine what my wife and family endured. All I know is how much better I feel now.

Judy3 Contributor

I've been gluten free almost 5 yrs now and just this week I was re-tested for all my food allergies Shrimp and seafood, fish, tree nuts and flax and they are ALL GONE!   I was able to eat some almonds last night with no reaction and a tuna sandwich for lunch today!!   I had anaphylactic shock from Shrimp 23 yrs ago so they won't let me eat that on my own yet.  Having a food challenge in July at the allergists office where I will spend the day eating shrimp from small pieces to a full meals worth and he's going to check my vitals along the way and hopefully take that off my list as well.    I'm so excited I've been so limited in the food department for so many years and they believe (no way to prove it really) that my undiagnosed Celiac disease was triggering the severe food allergies.   They did 50 blood tests - all negative and 30 skin tests a month later - all negative. and 20 yrs ago they were positive!!!     I went grocery shopping last night and purchased fish for the first time in 23 years  lol     I ran into an old friend at the store today and she said that I have my 'sparkle' back!!   I've known her for 25 yrs and seen her on and off the last 10 and she said that I looked sick for years and now I look wonderful... made my day.   I feel so much better since going gluten free, I have energy and have my life back!!  Now I get to eat new foods that have been off limits for sooo many years.   New rule though is one new food at a time to re-introduce them so IF I get a reaction I know what's it's from.   It's so hard because there are so many things I wanted to through in my cart!!   I will be patient though.  I did realize that while the tuna sandwich tasted ok at first I probably won't be looking for one again soon I hated the taste  LOL   amazing how 23 yrs of no fish taste makes it nasty.   Hope the tilapia I bought for later in the week is a better experience   :D   My 26 yr old son is a little freaked out by all of this as most of his life fish and nuts were a no no and were never in the house and now he said to watch me eat it is a little nerve wracking for him... Traumatized at 3 yrs old watching his mama get hauled away in a rescue squad.. and he's never taken a bite of fish since then.     Hopefully, we can both get over that!!!  

A life time of stomach aches and now it's time for the second lifetime without them   :P

bartfull Rising Star

I had a lot of different symptoms but the one that made my life Hell was the insomnia. The D and the psoriasis weren't pleasant but getting a good night's sleep is one of the greatest blessings I could imagine.

Googles Community Regular

Judy: Smoke salmon. yummy! It is my favorite fish ever. You should try it. 

CyclingLady: Energy is so awesome. 

Bartfull: Yes. Sleep is so wonderful!

Judy3 Contributor

Judy: Smoke salmon. yummy! It is my favorite fish ever. You should try it. 

CyclingLady: Energy is so awesome. 

Bartfull: Yes. Sleep is so wonderful!

I do plan to try them ALL eventually   lol

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

StClair Apprentice

Love reading these gluten free retrospectives! I'm pushing three months post diagnosis now and am in the delightful discovery phase of perceiving just how much has been wrong and is now starting to come right. Who knew my dust mite allergy could have anything to do with Celiac, yet it is improving. To answer the question about favorite improvement, the migraine and acid reflux/gastritis improvement are right up there, along with the anxiety. It's hard to pick!

Archived