- - - - -

17 With Celiac

• Please log in to reply

30 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_hockeybabe_*

Guest_hockeybabe_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2004 - 08:46 AM

[COLOR=purple] hey my name is Chelsea I am 17 and just found out that I had ceilac in July of 2003. I went through denial when I first found out and absoulutely refused to be on my diet! well that was probably one of the worst decisions I have ever made :( !! Did anybody go through a denial period? WELL.... now its january and I have started my diet, I've only been on it for 9 days but I already feel so much better! Suicidalturtle, I so know what you're going through when it comes to people offereing you things just to be mean! I am a senior in highschool in Texas, and kids can be soo cruel! and its so funny they think its soo awful that I cant drink! I just laugh and tell them there is other things I can do to keep my self occupied and enjoy stuff! reading your post made me realize that there are people out there I can talk to and that DO understand me! thank you so much!!!! if anybody wants to chat can email me at dhshockeychic73@aol.com or can talk to me on AIM my screen name is dhshockeychic73!!!! :rolleyes:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 hapi2bgf

hapi2bgf

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 09 January 2004 - 08:53 AM

I found out I had Celiacs at 32 years old. I spent a large portion of my 20s sick with a variety of problems. All I can tell you is that high school has to rank as one of the lowest part of my life. You may not be able to have beer, but there are plenty of other things you can have and will not make you sick. Find your true friends and get your self healthy. Life gets much better after high school. Good luck!

#3 Guest_cool2bkt_*

Guest_cool2bkt_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2004 - 06:25 PM

Hey Chelsea! I'm Katie and I'm 17 too. I was just diagnosed in June, and I hate it! School has been a pain... I've missed so much both at the end of last year and the beginning of this year. I'm starting to feel a little bit better, but not much. I didn't have an easy time adjusting either. I didn't cheat because I was too scared about getting even MORE sick. I did have a lot of problems with teachers who couldn't understand why I was missing so much school. The majority of my friends stopped hanging out with me because they thought I was just lazy for missing so much school and just wanted attention. Most of them still do (yeah, like anyone would give up cookies and pizza for attention!) :blink: If you want to talk sometime, I basically live online, and my AIM sn is nyfcclak8e Hope to chat soon!

Katie :lol:

#4 JsBaby_G

JsBaby_G

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 06:55 AM

Chelsea

I has diagnosed when I was 15 (I am now 22) I went through a very long denial period for about 2 years. It started with "no I can eat whatever I wany, how bad can it be" to "ok it can get pretty bad, but if I eat a little it won't hurt me" that phase lasted awhile untill I realized that it wasn't worth the pain. Don't worry your not alone!!

Katie

The same thing happened to me, all my friends ditched me because when I was sick all I wanted to do was sleep. Then they too thought I was doing it all for attention. Even doctors thought I was doing it for attention I said to them " yeah like a 17 year old sits in the emergency room on a Friday night for attention" Then I learned people are ignorant of what they don't understand. So what if you can't drink beer, it tastes like crap anyway!!!

You girls are not alone!!

B)
Crystal

#5 huletts

huletts

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 01:43 PM

I am also 17 with Celiac and was diagnosed in June. My name is Eleis and I live in New York. It has been tough, but well worth it since I felt so miserable beforehand. Some of my friends have been great, others make jokes about it but I guess no one really understands what I go through. It would be great to have a celiac friend who understood everything! If anyone wants to talk, my email address is eleis13@aol.com and I use aol for IM as well and am almost always on!
Look forward to talking to someone soon! :D

#6 bekilivingdeadbabe

bekilivingdeadbabe

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 February 2004 - 04:00 AM

hieveryone, i'm beki, i'm 17 and i've found out last week that i have coeliac disease :( . i have been reading the posts on here and they have made me feel like i'm not alone. i live in england and i dont know anyone else who has it. i'm finding it really really hard to come to terms with the fact that i have to change everything i eat. i'm also a vegetarian which doesn't help, and my favourite food in the world is pasta! i've tried the pasta made of corn, and its ok... but when will i get used to this? i'm also moving out soon, and i am shocked :o at how much gluten free food costs! i know i can get food on prescription, and its free at the moment but i'm dreading having to pay out all this money. my boyfriend :wub: is being really supportive, but nobody in my family really understands, and at college people taunt me with toast! :angry:
i have been gluten free for 6 days now and i'm already feeling slightly better, so i guess its gonna be worth it....but i need help!
beki :)

#7 Nin

Nin

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 04 February 2004 - 10:50 AM

I am lots older than you guys, but want to say I am impressed that you are taking care of yourselves and finding support through places like this.
I subsribe to the newsletter that this site offers and there is lots of very good articles and recipes etc.
You are young and so by learning all of this now you will avoid getting all the problems that people run into when they are undiagnosed for many years.
New research is showing that far more people are walking around with this problem than was ever expected, something like 1 in 33. So chances are some of your friends have celiac and just don't know. As your health improves and people notice, you will see reactions from friends/family will change.

#8 azza

azza

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 11 February 2004 - 09:48 PM

Hey all, B)

What's the matter with the no. 17?? I'm also 17 and looking forward to talk with people having the same problem... But you guys should thank God you have gluten-free food... Here where I live in Dubai, there are nothing for gluten-free except rice crackers and rice cakes... Nothing to substitute "bread"!! And, I also found no all of the ingredients of the recepies such as: tapioca flour, brown rice flour, potato flour, xanthan gum, and guar gum... And whatever recepies I do go to the garbage... I don't know if anyone of you can help me with some Breakfast ideas.... That would be wonderfull.... :blink:

Azza,
Azza

#9 s_berry

s_berry

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 February 2004 - 10:59 AM

Beki-

You can get your gluten-free food as a prescription???? Thats awesome. Here in the states it's bad too. Supposedly there is a tax break here for people with celiac disease but it involves keeping all of your recipts from grocery shopping the entire year and it sounds like a pain.

I've discovered that there are cheap ways to eat. When you want to eat out, go for Indian. I know there are some great, inexpensive Indian restaraunts in London or you could try Thai food too. Sushi is good as long as you bring your own gluten-free soy sauce.

I basically live off of rice which I buy in bulk. I put it in soup, use it in casseroles that require pasta and it's just as good. The most difficult meal for me is lunch. So many meats have gluten in them and so do most salad dressings. I work in a large hospital and you would think that they'd be accomodating, but they're not. I usually stick to salad with my own dressing.

I hope everything works out for you in the end and if you find that people, you doc, insurance company, or your government aren't being accomodating to your needs, then raise hell and "rock the boat". We need to bring as much attention to celiac disease as possible anyway!

Cheers!

-Steph

#10 stargirl

stargirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 13 August 2004 - 03:17 PM

Hi, I'm 17 and a diagnosed celiac for 8 months. I'm a little starved for young celiac anybody. They only ones I know are in their forties. Anybody feel lonely?
Inconclusive Blood Results, Positive Dietary Challenge Results
gluten-free since January 2004

#11 MySuicidalTurtle

MySuicidalTurtle

"Like a rolling stone?"

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,663 posts

Posted 13 August 2004 - 10:16 PM

I am slow and just now seeing this thread. Chelsea I think I have talked to you before, maybe?
I never went through a denial thing cause it was more "Well, that makes sense" since I was sick everyday. I am glad you are sticking to the diet!
Beki, the veggie and gluten-free thing can be done! I like rice pasta best but a lot of people don't like it. I think there are a few other veggies on here, too.
Stargirl, yes, it is a bit lonely at support groups being so not the age of every one there. The closet person I know is age 9 and that's cool but not very close to my age. Luckily, I got to meet celiac3270 and it was really cool to see in real life someone my age (well, I am a bit older than him being that I'm 19) and just made me feel not so diff.
Azza, try Kinnikinnick bread- it's brilliant. I always have loved fruit for breakfats but Kinnikinnick bagels are so yummie, too.

I kinda responded short but yea. Yay for more younger people at the board!

Kristina

#12 stargirl

stargirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 14 August 2004 - 10:53 AM

I agree with you. I don't mind the food stuff at all really other than having to talk to so many people when I go out to eat. Where I live there isn't a support group for anyone let alone teenagers. My mom and I have been talking about trying to start one up so we'll see.

#13 MySuicidalTurtle

MySuicidalTurtle

"Like a rolling stone?"

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,663 posts

Posted 14 August 2004 - 11:24 AM

You should try to set up one then. You are young and it will be benifical for years to come. Myabe you should look broader for your groups. For one of mine I have to travel a bit to get there but at least it's there!

Kristina

#14 stargirl

stargirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 15 August 2004 - 10:22 AM

Probably but traveling is such a pain at this point in the year. Once everyone starts school its like there is no longer anytime for anything. It's just a lot of work at a really busy time of life. Not to mention I won't even be here next year since I'll be gone to college, so even if I get it set up I'll be gone for three quaters of the year.

#15 celiac3270

celiac3270

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 15 August 2004 - 12:05 PM

Wow......many, many, 17 year-olds.........see, stargirl? I told you there were a lot! :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: