30 replies to this topic

#16 stargirl

stargirl

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 15 August 2004 - 05:43 PM

LOL, point taken celiac3270. It can just seem lonely out in the real world, it's not a common thing yet. Hopefully if we can continue to educate people about celiac disease it won't be so hard for people to understand. Maybe we can create a major food market for ourselves. We're making progress. I just have low days sometimes and I don't feel like anyone really understands. I'm sure everybody here has an idea of what I'm talking about, it's such an individual struggle.
Inconclusive Blood Results, Positive Dietary Challenge Results
gluten-free since January 2004

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 Sterndogg

Sterndogg

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 16 September 2004 - 12:52 PM

I might be a little old for this forum (currentluy 24) and was diagnosed about 9 months ago after a trip to China visiting a former college buddy who was teaching english in Shanghai. I noticed a bloated feeling (no other symptoms) on the plane ride back to Boston and decided to get tested for parasites. Sure enough I tested positive for giardias but even after the drug cocktail I was still feeling lousy and was losing weight. After more tests and seeing infectious disease doctors with still zero answers I finally went to see a GI doctor who asked me if I had ever heard of Celiac Disease. As a Biology major I had heard of it but didn't know the exact specifics aside from it was one of many autoimmune disorders. The doctor explained some of the possible symptoms and more and more it seemed to fit. Sure enough blood work and the staple endoscope determined I was gluten-intolerant. My worst nightmare had come true...not being able to eat pizza, pasta and beer!!! At first I was 100% in denial and continued to drink beers for another month or two after diagnosis. I never would get sick but would feel very bloated. I finally realized that being gluten-intolerant was not the end of the world and there were much worse things out there and if I continued to harm myself down the road I'd end up with one of those awful things. I try to be gluten free as much as possible and its working and I'm feeling great. The thing I miss the most is the beer, and being spontaneous in picking up food or going out in a pinch. However, we just have to compromise and spend more time looking at labels. However, after reading about all the junk that some of the foods I used to love contain...I don't feel too badly now. Instead of beer for me I drink hard cider, hard alcohol or wine. Instead of pizza, I make my own dough or get pre-made dough which isn't too bad at all. Infact, many of the restaurants in Boston actually have Gluten-Free menus, and now that I'm a celiac it seems that everyone is one too...in the company I work for there are 4/70 people (including myself) who are gluten intolerant, as well as hearing that friends of friends are celiacs too. It's much more prevalent but since it's so difficult to diagnose many go undetected for years (took basically a year to figure out I was a celiac).

Best,
Adam

#18 MySuicidalTurtle

MySuicidalTurtle

"Like a rolling stone?"

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,663 posts

Posted 17 September 2004 - 04:18 PM

Hello, Adam! Yes, being glutenfree is not the end of the world. Once you get familiar with what you can and can't eat it gets easier. The drinking thing can be a hassel but you are right about there being other choices.

#19 stargirl

stargirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 17 September 2004 - 06:48 PM

It is amazing how many people you meet who have celiac. I'm always so pleasantly suprised.

#20 MySuicidalTurtle

MySuicidalTurtle

"Like a rolling stone?"

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,663 posts

Posted 19 September 2004 - 11:28 AM

. . .I've only met people at support groups. . .well, then celiac3270 but I already knew he had it, hahaha. I think it'd be rather funny to met someone randomly who has it.

#21 stargirl

stargirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 19 September 2004 - 04:58 PM

I have, it was exciting and disappointing. It was neat to see somebody else who has celiac disease but she was a newbie and kept trying to advise me on food and I was nervous to eat what she suggested.

#22 badandi2005

badandi2005

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 September 2004 - 08:04 PM

I'm 17 as well and was just diagnosed on Friday when I went to visit my allergist. I'd never heard of celiac disease-- although my mother had-- before then, and my primary care physician had always attributed my reactions to allergies rather than celiac disease.
As it's only been a few days since the diagnosis, it hasn't really sunk in that I'm going to have a major lifestyle change. However, it's been a little difficult to keep myself away from the regular cookies and such that my sisters are snacking on. Does anyone else have siblings who don't have celiac?

#23 stargirl

stargirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 27 September 2004 - 06:01 PM

Hi, welcome to the forum. I have an older brother who has Celiac and a younger sister who doesn't. You should try looking around and seeing if you can find some yummy snacks for yourself that are gluten free. I know that one of our local health food store carries some cookies called Frookies and some crackers called Nut thins. Both are yummy and help me with cravings. Give yourself some time to get used to the idea of being gluten intolerant, but stay away from gluten!

#24 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

Be the change you wish to see in the world!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 29 October 2004 - 04:58 PM

Hi My name is Kaiti too and I am 17. I was diagnosed early this year and I know what you all went through. People just don't get it. I get asked out and I have to say listen I can't go certain places and have certian things. I know there are alot of things we can all still have tho snickers, tcby ice cream, and there is a brand out called Glutino and you can get pretzels and cookies and they taste the same. Believe me I had to try a lot of yucky stuff and then I found that brand. Also Amys Mac and Cheese and garden vegetable lasagna...SSOOOOO GOOD and gluten free. There is also a rice crust pizza out that tastes good to. E-mail me sometime if you guys ever want to talk or need to know anything I have a whole list of stuff. One of my friends who also has Celiac works for the state of MD with some celiac info thing and she always gets the latest stuff :) hope to hear from you soon my sn is Jesus4ever21 and e-mail is Jesus4ever21@aol.com
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Gluten-free since January 2004
Arkansas

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not harm you,plans to give you a hope and future"

"One Nation, Under God"

Feel free to email me anytime....jkbrodbent@yahoo.com

#25 num1habsfan

num1habsfan

Prairie field, possibly the best picture I've taken!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 29 October 2004 - 10:00 PM

I'm 20 currently, but I was 18 1/2 when I got real sick and diagnosed. If any of you guys needs to talk(well I already talk to you Kris lol) you can feel free to talk to me on any messengers..just look in my profile to get my usernames :)
I'm online a lot too so you could always catch me somewhere lol..
~lisa~

...Flames vs. Panthers, and Lifehouse, were best experiences OF MY LIFE!!...
...26 years old...
...Look in my forum profile for ways to read my public sports articles...

R.I.P. Uncle Gus (Sept. 21, 1971 - Oct. 2, 2004) ... R.I.P. Baba (Oct. 12, 1911 - Feb. 28, 2006) ... R.I.P. Uncle Lawrence (Aug. 7, 1943 - Jan. 4, 2009)

#26 Vyse

Vyse

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 March 2005 - 12:52 AM

this thread is a bit old, but i thought id throw in my 2 cents for the heck of it.

Im currently 18, ive been gluten-free for nearly 3 years. it was rough at first, but my friends were pretty supportive, even though they forget sometimes to this day. i have had people mess with me jokingly, but going through most of my high school career without wheat has openned some peoples eyes. Maybe people in my hs didnt really pay much mind. Then again i am quiet and 6"3', so maybe i was a little scary to those that didnt get to know me. then again i never had drama with anyone either, with the whole not talking much thing.

Either way, i know how you feel. I have even sat in pizza hut numerous times just to spend time with my friends, and my friends have eaten pizza in front of me too many times to count, not maliciously of course its just that they dont understand. And i forgive them for that because im their friends and they're mine. :)

#27 ianm

ianm

Metal God

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 849 posts

Posted 13 March 2005 - 10:36 AM

You guys are very fortunate to know you have celiac disease at 17. I didn't find out until I was 36. Basically this disease caused me to waste the first 36 years of my life. High school was the worst 3 years of my life. Even at 37 there are people who will try to tempt me into eating gluten laden foods. Keep taking care of yourselves, its worth it in the long run.

Ianm
If all the world is indeed a stage and we are merely players then will someone give me the script because I have no f!@#$%^ clue as to what is going on!

What does not kill you makes you stronger.
Nobody cares about losers and quitters never win. If you fail with the cowards then what's the message you send?
Can't get it right, no matter what I do. Might as well be me and keep fu@$ing up for you. - Brian Thomas (Halloween, the greatest metal band ever!)

Ian Moore. Self diagnosed at 36 because the doctors were clueless.
Started low-carb diet early 2004, felt better but not totally gluten-free. Went 100% gluten-free early 2005 and life has never been better.

#28 kings_kid

kings_kid

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 April 2005 - 07:11 PM

I am 18 years old. I was diagnosed when I was in grade 7, but was in denial about through most of highschool, and even some now. I try and stick to the diet, but sometime I just slip up and cheat.. especially if there is Pizzs or lassania in the house.
Gluten Free, Casien Free, Hypoglycemic, Corn Free, Fructose Intolerant, and Fruit intolerant (can handle in moderation) since 1999.. as well as having allergy induced Autism.. (mild form)

"Man does not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God."
Matthew 4:4

#29 celiac3270

celiac3270

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 01 May 2005 - 04:12 AM

I bet you've heard this before, but you can't do that to your body! :o Being partially gluten-free is no good--you need to be 100% gluten-free 100% of the time for your body to heal--and if you're not, there's a severely elevated chance of osteoporosis, type 1 diabetes, and cancers, as well as a severe decline in estimated life expectancy. Yea, it's a pain in the neck at first and it does require you to think about eating in a new way, but it gets easier after awhile and it's for the good of your body. Even if you don't feel anything when you eat gluten, your intestines are still being destroyed. I don't know if this will have an effect--probably won't--but at least I tried :rolleyes:

#30 sweetiegrl109

sweetiegrl109

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 August 2005 - 07:57 AM

hey! my name is jess and im sixteen, i was diagnosed two years ago and i think im doin okay with this...there definitly are some times when i feel like poop because of celiac disease but i came to realize that i do feel much better on the diet...but the low times, they can be really low...like when i go to a party and wanna drink and cant because of the things they have there or sometime when a friend makes a comment as a joke...but it hurts...i understand what your going through cuz im feeling it myself...my sn is sweetiegrl109@aol.com...send me a message!!!
xoxo
-jess-
--gluten-free Since 2003--
-Conclusive Bloodwork/Biopsy-

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: