This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten Free Cruising Norweign

KayM

KayM Rookie

Hello , I went on a norweign cruise this last January and it was amazing . I only am wondering if anyone can help me to handle the food thing better. basicly they were great I never got glutened. our problem was I had to eat only one resturant the whole cruise. One person would tell me I had to order in advance for the next day so I did yet I was told I could eat any resturant yet this one was the only one I could pre order in . it was confusing . then I could not take any food off the ship and so we had to plan our exploring around lunch so I could get food. I am grateful that they did so well and the food was great. I just would like to know how do I get a little more freedom My husband wanted to eat in other resturants so I dined alone several times. we are going again in January and Im hoping to get a better understanding of how their system works . any advise greatly appreciated : )

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cyclinglady Grand Master

See my posting today regarding Royal Carribean. Basically, the diningroom is the ONLY SAFE place to eat.

We brought our own gluten-free snacks and snuck a few pieces of fresh fruit off the ship to consume during port days. We survived! No, the cruise line will NOT pack you a lunch to go. I am sure they have restrictions at each port regarding food entry.

As far as your husband goes....what can I say? Bring an extra friend to dine with. Really.

cyclinglady Grand Master

Kay,

Did not mean to sound so flippant. I was serious about asking an extra friend to go along. My parents like to cruise with my Dad's sister. My mother's health is unpredictable, so my Aunt will dance with my Dad and do the shore tours. It is a win-win situation!

GF-Cheetah Cub Contributor

We went on a Norwegian cruise back on April.   There were two major dining restaurants where we were able to order the day before.   The cruise staff did tell us that we could eat at all restaurants (they can accommodate gluten-free dining) except the one Asian restaurant called Bamboo something.   We did eat at a Japanese restaurant, and had sushi that was fine.

As far as planning for day trips.   In the mornings, we ordered 4 pieces of gluten-free bread.  2 pieces for breakfast, then 2 pieces with plain butter or peanut butter for lunch.   They did not like us bring fruit out of the ship.   I always took a boil egg with us for lunch as well.   So, bring some zip log bags for packing a simply gluten-free sandwich lunch.

KayM Rookie

Thankyou both for the suggestions, we had two main dining rooms too the confusing part was that I asked if I could eat in others then they would say yes. but when I would try they would say no you have to preorder go to this place and I would go there and get sent somewhere else and in the long run end up back at the main dinning room. so it was a bit crazy . we did order room service one day and that was great but again next time preorder and was sent to a place and no not here go there ect. so I gave up and stuck to the main dining room and let hubby go find a burger : ) we did find that if we purchase a shore excursion through norwiegin that includes lunch they will accomodate my diet but if we just go exploring im on my own and in most places we stoped they searched my bag and even had dogs at one so I could not bring anything off the ship. we did invite friends on this next one but so far no luck. I am most grateful to be able to eat without worry just kinda wish for more freedom but hey it is what it is at least I can go safely  : )

Archived