This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

I Gained 60 Pounds Going gluten-free - Fat And I Shouldn't Be. :(

ashley8809

ashley8809 Newbie

I went gluten-free over nine years ago. I was always thin - 5'9" and roughly a size eight. After years of chronic pain and mood issues and insomnia a doc caught the celiac. Soon after quitting gluten all symptoms subsided but I quickly gained A LOT of weight. It's been many years, many docs and MANY different diets. I can't lose the weight. I've tried every variation of diets and it doesn't budge. I exercise regularly and eat a fraction of what others eat. I'm so tired of people telling me "calorie in calorie out." It's BS! I've seen tons of docs, most of which don't believe my diet log. I did crossfit for five years. The more paleo I ate and the harder I exercised the more with I gained. Doc told me I blew my adrenals so I stopped and stuck to walking for eight months. I recently took up yoga and I'm gaining again. I like to about about 90% paleo, organic with minimal red meat. I also don't eat soy and I never drink coffee. My thyroid tests are normal and I've tried all the thyroid meds and they don't do anything. I'm about 40 lbs over weight and SOOOOO tired of it. I'm covered in a very fatty layer and look full of cellulite. I do supplements, cleanses, you name it. If I eat fruit, it's low glycemic. I only eat minimal nuts to avoid calories. 

It just doesn't add up. I'm pretty sure, whatever anyone suggests, I've tried it. I've seen the best docs in the area and they are baffled. I have high insulin but I'm not prediabetc. I have gorgeous blood work - It appears I'm very healthy. I've monitored my blood glucose and... normal. My A1C is 4.6! I have a team of naturopaths and no one can figure it out!

Anyone else have this problem!?!?  I'm fat as hell and I shouldn't be. :( If anyone wants to tell me I don't eat enough... I tried that route too (more food, more frequently to boost metabolism - nothing).

IDEAS!?!?!?!?!?!?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cristiana Veteran

Hi Ashley

Firstly, welcome to the forum.

Sympathies too - I  too have gained weight - I am now 14 pounds more than I was at diagnosis two years ago and if things carry on, well who knows.  I am still just within the healthy BMI but compared with my  weight two years ago I feel bigger than I should be, esp. as long before my DX and two pregnancies I weighed 30lbs less than I do now.   

I wonder, have you had your thyroid function checked?  I could be wrong but I think an underactive thyroid can cause weight gain.

Oddly enough I was reading something the other day on line about someone who lost 40 pounds on that 2 days fast, 5 days eat healthy diet and they felt until they did that diet they would never lose weight again.  Perhaps you have tried that, but I'm thinking I might give it a go.

cyclinglady Grand Master

I think you should not look necessarily at the scale. What is your BMI? What is your body fat percentage? What is your age (being perimenopausal can cause an average of 10 pounds in weigh gain as your body tries to create estrogen from anywhere outside of your ovaries to maintain a hormone balance)?

What is high insulin? Do you mean high blood glucose? Your Ha1c is just an average over three months. It tells you nothing about blood glucose spikes post meals. If that occurs, you are prediabetic or have insulin resistance (same thing). Diabetes from my research causes weight gain and gaining weight does not cause diabetes (ADA and docs have this wrong!). And that low glycemic fad, is bunk. Your body still has to process those carbs, delayed or not! Just something to research.

It is hard, very hard to lose weight. Scientists are saying that prevention of weight gain is best (no kidding)!

Finally, as someone who is over 50 and who is in darn good shape, I no longer have my 20 year old body (looks like my 14 year old took it! ). I make do. No, I am not wearing Koret pantsuits yet from JC Penny, but tank tops and shorts are out. My skin is no longer firm and that's just the plain cold hard facts of life. Cellulite is genetic and no one has ever found a cure for it!

I am thankful that I am feeling good after two years of being gluten free. Think back to nine years ago when you were feeling so bad.

I hope this helps!

nvsmom Community Regular

When I first went gluten-free I lost about 10 lbs without doing a thing because of the inflammation departing.  I got down to about 150lbs, which for a large framed 5'8" woman, isn't bad.

Then about a year and a half ago I started gaining weight. I blamed it on the corticosteroids I had started but it continued after I stopped taking them.  My guess is that my gut was healed and I was absorbing a LOT more than I used to.  I put on 30 lbs in a year and a half.

I have problems with sugars and carbs, so when I cut calories I was starving and then I would eat more carbs again.  I would lose 5 lbs and then regain 6lbs.  It didn't work for me.  Plus I suspect the sugars are not helping my other autoimmune problems and arthritis - I am hoping cutting out carbs and sugars will help cut inflammation.

I am currently experimenting with a low carb high fat (LCHF) diet and that seems to be doing the trick, although I have only been on it for just under a month, and of that time, I have only gotten quite restrictive of my everyday carbs for about 10 days.  I am basically following a ketogenic diet now and the weight is falling off fast (gotta love those first few weeks).  In the last 10 days I've lost about 7 lbs, and my calorie count is between 1400 and 2200, depending on how hungry I am.

Yesterday I ate

breakfast: 3 slices bacon, 2 fried eggs, coffee with 1/4 coconut cream

snack: coffee with 1/4c coconut cream

lunch: salmon patty with Tbsp of tzatziki, 2 stalks celery

dinner: chicken sausage, 1 small avacado, 1 celery

snack: 1tbsp krisda chocolate chips (uses xylitol), 1 Tbsp shredded coconut, and (embarrassingly) about 1/2 macadamia nuts... I was still hungry.

I was down over 0.5lb from the day before... Go figure.

Since the amount you are eating isn't the issue, perhaps the problem for your body is what you are eating.  Maybe eating low carb (below 50g carbs per day) would work for you too?  I know it isn't for everyone but, once I got past the withdrawal stage, it worked for me.

Best wishes.

ashley8809 Newbie

Thanks for the replies! 

I gained about 60 pounds when I went off gluten. I lost 20 when I started CrossFitting but the remaining 40 won't budge. I've had my thyroid checked many times and it's always normal. I went on various thyroid med cocktails to see if it would  change anything - nada. I eat primary paleo AND watch my calories. I don't even like sugar anymore and refined carbs make me not feel well - making paleo fairly easy.  I exercise daily.

So, I'm already low carb. 

I have high insulin which is very strange since I don't eat many carbs. When doing insulin tests my insulin spikes BUT my glucose is normal... very odd.  I do believe that the insulin issue creates weight - at least it feels that way in my case.

This weight just won't budge. I don't drink coffee, or eat sweets. I eat low carb and watch calories. I exercise daily. I don't even eat fruit that is high glycemic index. All of this is 90% of the time since I'm not perfect. When I go to dinner I eat a fraction of what my friend's eat. 

I've seen so many docs trying to figure this out. They are baffled.

I'm so curious if this has happened to anyone else. I was so mal-absorbed when they caught my celiac disease - I had rickets.  I was so sick. I don't want to ever return to that but I'm very tired of feeling like I'm wearing a fat suit!  

Thank you!  Please chime in.  :)

w8in4dave Community Regular

I have lost almost 40 lbs since I have been gluten-free ... I was about 50 lbs over weight. I need 10 more lbs gone! Funny thing my daughters mom in law was DX'd a few months before I was, she was a skinny mini. She has gained the weight I have lost it. The only thing I can think of is I cannot eat corn products , I have not fallen into that gluten-free isle. I eat fresh meat and veggies every day. No Gluten ,no oats, no soy, or corn. I am having problems absorbing Folic Acid, I just went to the Doc and he put me on a good Pre natal vitamin.

• 3 weeks later...
lleegilmer Newbie

You don't mention how many calories a day you are eating, how much exercise you are doing or if you are having any snacks.  Years ago, I had been working out every day for 1 1/2 hours and was on a 1200-1500 calorie diet but wasn't losing any weight.  My trainer had me add a mid morning and mid afternoon snack of a piece of fruit and I started losing weight immediately.  If I don't eat every 2 hours or so, my body goes into starvation mode and my metabolism slows down.  Since I've been walking 1 1/4 miles most days, keep to a 1500-calorie diet and have those two snacks, I have been losing 1 or more pounds most weeks for a total of 45 pounds, 12 since May.  I have another 20 to lose to be back down to 135 - the healthy weight I held from HS to when I got married at 36.

If you check the calorie count on most gluten free items, it's higher than food with wheat by 20-30% so you can't just substitute gluten free without eating less.  Once I discovered Rice Crisps, I ordered a case (no grocery or health food stores carry them here).  I use them to make 3 open face sandwiches with lettuce, sliced meat and gluten-free mayo or mustard for lunch.  For breakfast, I eat only one gluten-free waffle along with 1 oz. of protein and a piece of fruit.  I've found a 1500-calorie diabetic diet (I'm on Metformin) works for me as long as I include a piece of fruit mid-morning and mid-afternoon.   Make sure your doctor checks your LDL and HDL cholesterol if you go on a low carb/high protein diet.  I lost weight on Atkins, but have been on cholesterol meds since trying Atkins.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lleegilmer Newbie

That's Schar Rice Crispbread.  Not much taste to it but has a nice crunch that complements whatever you put on it.

• 1 year later...
Nikkiann Apprentice
On 7/4/2015 at 11:21 PM, ashley8809 said:

Thanks for the replies! 

I gained about 60 pounds when I went off gluten. I lost 20 when I started CrossFitting but the remaining 40 won't budge. I've had my thyroid checked many times and it's always normal. I went on various thyroid med cocktails to see if it would  change anything - nada. I eat primary paleo AND watch my calories. I don't even like sugar anymore and refined carbs make me not feel well - making paleo fairly easy.  I exercise daily.

So, I'm already low carb. 

I have high insulin which is very strange since I don't eat many carbs. When doing insulin tests my insulin spikes BUT my glucose is normal... very odd.  I do believe that the insulin issue creates weight - at least it feels that way in my case.

This weight just won't budge. I don't drink coffee, or eat sweets. I eat low carb and watch calories. I exercise daily. I don't even eat fruit that is high glycemic index. All of this is 90% of the time since I'm not perfect. When I go to dinner I eat a fraction of what my friend's eat. 

I've seen so many docs trying to figure this out. They are baffled.

I'm so curious if this has happened to anyone else. I was so mal-absorbed when they caught my celiac disease - I had rickets.  I was so sick. I don't want to ever return to that but I'm very tired of feeling like I'm wearing a fat suit!  

Thank you!  Please chime in.  :)

Hey! So I know you said you eat low carb, but as someone who has been doing low carb diet for years and lost 90 pounds on it, it is a special science. Can you give us an example of what you eat in the course of a day? I have found that a lot of people's body cant handle low carb unless its at a ketosis level. Meaning, if you're not under 20 grams of carbs a day, its not worth eating low carb.

• 1 year later...
Momma T Newbie

I found out I had celiac 4 years ago.... today im also up 40pounds. I’m 5’4” and I look like a short round person. I eat timed meals from beach body, do beach body workouts and run sometimes 3 miles per day. Still no weight loss. They keep telling me  “stick to it it will suddenly fall off” 1 year later same size.... normal everything...thyroid and blood work. I have even considered going back on gluten to be normal again. If you find something that works I would love to try it as well. Sounds like we are in the same boat!! 

Ennis-TX Grand Master
15 minutes ago, Momma T said:

I found out I had celiac 4 years ago.... today im also up 40pounds. I’m 5’4” and I look like a short round person. I eat timed meals from beach body, do beach body workouts and run sometimes 3 miles per day. Still no weight loss. They keep telling me  “stick to it it will suddenly fall off” 1 year later same size.... normal everything...thyroid and blood work. I have even considered going back on gluten to be normal again. If you find something that works I would love to try it as well. Sounds like we are in the same boat!! 

Are you eating processed gluten free food? Gluten free bread, pasta, etc? The gluten free versions are starch loaded carb bombs that yes make you hold onto fat like crazy.
Me and many others found the keto/paleo diet to work with maintaining a lean muscular body, how this works is when you remove all carbs and only eat fats, your body starts to change gears. This is a natural process that our ancestors used to rotate through with seasons. Your body starts burning fats for energy instead of carbs, and when you do this it also east the fat in you body leaving mostly muscle. You have to remove all sugars, grains, carbs, and eat fats, and leafy greens. Look up the ketogenicgirl for a idea of how it works.

I went gluten free for celiac then found I had issues with fruit, sugar, carbs, ate them in moderation for few years, then found out I had another AI disease that flared to them...so I dropped them and wish I had done it sooner. Really helps with a scuplted look, insane amounts of energy, and feel great. Mines abit unique to meet other dietary restrictions but works for me.

Workout wise, try getting in a 30min HITT before breakfast. If you have a desk job or sit at a desk for long times, get a stationary bike, put it under the desk and pedal on a low resistance just to keep moving. Try resistance training if you can.

cyclinglady Grand Master

I agree with Ennis.  I am a low carb high fat fan.  It is great for those with insulin resistance (diabetes or pre-diabetes).  

Think about it.  Celiac disease can often give you an edge on weight.  After healing, you are at risk for weight gain just like everyone else who does not have celiac disease.  Once the pounds are gained, it is hard to remove them.  Do not give up! Just try a different diet.  Frankly it is all about the diet and not so much about exercise (which is critical for overall good health).  

Feeneyja Collaborator

From what I understand, high insulin with normal blood glucose levels is still considered pre-diabetes. Your body needs to produce a lot more insulin to regulate blood glucose levels because your cells are insulin resistant.  

So a few things come to mind.  First, you are already low carb, but you are definitely not keto if your body is producing insulin.  Meat is turned into glucose in the absence of glucose.  So you may be eating too much meat (a common approach to Paleo is very meat heavy).  There are also ketone supplements you can take to help push you into ketosis.  

Finally, have you looked at the gut microbiome angle?  The wrong gut microbes can make you gain weight.  I have seen studies discussing this and saw it first hand with my daughter.  She gained a lot of weight even when I was strictly controlling what she ate (she was 9 years old).  Her gluten intolerance resulted in SIBO (small intestine bacterial overgrowth), a form of gut dysbiosis.  When we treated the SIBO, the weight came off.  It took a low carb diet plus herbal antibiotics and supplements.  So it could very well be a gut dysbiosis issue.  

Just some thoughts.  I hear your frustration!  It is definitely NOT as simple as calories in/calories out!

Archived