This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

How Long Until I See Positive Results?

ahron1988

ahron1988 Newbie

Hello Everyone,

I'm non-celiac, self diagnosed gluten-intolerant. 

I'm 27 years old and for the past several years Iv'e been suffering of chronic fatigue, brain fog, inability to concentrate some depression. 

3 weeks ago I decided to experiment a gluten-free diet to see if this will alleviate my symptoms. 

In week 1 I got very excited because I did feel significantly better. But in weeks 2 and 3 I felt that I'm going backwards, as the symptoms were coming back. I would just add that in weeks 2 and 3 there were 2-3 days where I DID feel good, but overall I didn't feel like I'm making real progress.

So, my question to you is, should I continue with this diet? Did anyone have a similar experience?

Thanks for you responses.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

Hello Everyone,

I'm non-celiac, self diagnosed gluten-intolerant. 

I'm 27 years old and for the past several years Iv'e been suffering of chronic fatigue, brain fog, inability to concentrate some depression. 

3 weeks ago I decided to experiment a gluten-free diet to see if this will alleviate my symptoms. 

In week 1 I got very excited because I did feel significantly better. But in weeks 2 and 3 I felt that I'm going backwards, as the symptoms were coming back. I would just add that in weeks 2 and 3 there were 2-3 days where I DID feel good, but overall I didn't feel like I'm making real progress.

So, my question to you is, should I continue with this diet? Did anyone have a similar experience?

Thanks for you responses.

Just curious.....how do you know you are not a Celiac?

ahron1988 Newbie

Just curious.....how do you know you are not a Celiac?

Hi Kareng,

Thanks for your response.

I was recently by my doctor and he did extensive blood work. He didn't find any reason to believe that I'm Celiac.

Do you think I should do any further testing? 

bartfull Rising Star

Can you get copies of the tests he did and post them here? A lot of doctors don't know enough about celiac to do the full panel.

But to answer your first question, a lot of us had that wonderful "grace period" where we started to feel great, then backslid. It takes a long time to heal.

• 2 weeks later...
ch88 Collaborator

There are other types of food allergies and sensitivities that can effect the brain besides gluten. One idea is to limit your diet to a few very basic foods for a few days and see if anything changes.  Wheat, corn, soy, eggs, dairy are some common problem foods for some people.

Seifer Rookie

Yeah it can takes months and even years if you've been on large amounts of gluten all your life (gluten basically works like a drug on your brain), also you have to make other dietary changes aswell to improve overall health. 

msh-anth Newbie

Hi, Just to say I'm in the same boat. Sorry to hear your not feeling great.

I had a lot of blood work done. Negative to the Celiac test. But stopping gluten made me feel great. Before it slowly started to come back but not as intense. It does seem to be other foods that trigger it. So I'm on a very restricted diet at the moment and I'm off to see a dietitian soon. I find that I react pretty quickly after 30 minutes or so. so I can tell pretty quickly if something is reacting. I'm hoping that it will slowly start to get better. but, not sure if there is anything to heal as a NCGS.

Dont give up.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived