This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Does Anyone Else Get The Worst Gas

danikali

danikali Enthusiast

Okay, every single day, after I eat cookies, a granola bar, pasta, pizza, (I'm on the gluten challenge), I get the WORST GAS EVER! And it lingers! :lol:

I'm at work and I have to keep running to the bathroom just to let it out in a stall!

Does anyone else get this RIGHT AFTER eating gluten? :unsure:

This is horrible! My fiance could barley walk into the bedroom a couple of nights ago! :blink:

If this isn't a sign of SOMETHING, I don't know what to say anymore!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

bluelotus Contributor

Yep, you are certainly not alone in that symptom!

gf4life Enthusiast

Yep, me too. And my middle boy. I also get gas a lot if my intestinal bacteria are "off", so I take probiotics and use digestive enzymes too.

jerseyangel Proficient

Yea--I was still having it, although not as bad, even after being gluten-free for several months. I went casein free 3 weeks or so ago and it seems to be improving. I went gluten-free and dairy free at the same time, but did continue to eat butter. When I gave up the butter is when I noticed the difference.

VegasCeliacBuckeye Collaborator

Ha!!

Celiacs get gas if "the wind changes".......

Symtoms get better as the gluten-free diet goes on, but I can still "light it up" almost upon request...

For some of us, it is as normal as breathing...

Jenn2005 Contributor

My husband gets the gas build up but he is constantly belching. Do any of you belch a lot from the gas? I guess I shouldn't complain because at least I can walk into the bedroom when he's belching. :lol:

Jennifer

ehrin Explorer
My husband gets the gas build up but he is constantly belching.  Do any of you belch a lot from the gas?  I guess I shouldn't complain because at least I can walk into the bedroom when he's belching. :lol:

Jennifer

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, I do. My coworkers even said it's been quieter around here since I went gluten-free.

My main symptom is gas. I don't get belly aches or cramping - just severe gas that entails both burping and farting. I also get severe bloating - to the point of where I go up a pant size.

Fun stuff!

Peace

Ehrin

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

elonwy Enthusiast

LOL. Yup.

I was blowing on my boyfriends stomach to make fart noises ( I was torturing him for information) and he piped up with "Boy I miss that sound from when we were first dating".

I was a little gas machine. Belches, farts, you name it.

Mostly gone now. I have a "normal" amount of gas these days.

Elonwy

nettiebeads Apprentice
Okay, every single day, after I eat cookies, a granola bar, pasta, pizza, (I'm on the gluten challenge), I get the WORST GAS EVER! And it lingers!  :lol:

I'm at work and I have to keep running to the bathroom just to let it out in a stall!

Does anyone else get this RIGHT AFTER eating gluten?  :unsure:

This is horrible! My fiance could barley walk into the bedroom a couple of nights ago!  :blink:

If this isn't a sign of SOMETHING, I don't know what to say anymore!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Lucky you! I don't have to eat gluten for gas!!! Good thing I'm in my own office in the back of the building (but it is right next to the kitchen...)

bluelotus Contributor

I forgot to mention the belching....a completely new symptom that I developed in the last few months. I was being glutened in small amounts by various things (unknowingly), and during that time I started burping......hasn't gone away yet, but its only been 2 weeks (at most) since being glutened.

PreOptMegs Explorer

I was always so embarrassed when i would get the worst gas, but I didn't know what it was from or what gluten even was, so I lived with it for a long time. I am so glad that is over.

danikali Enthusiast

Yes! I belch a lot too! And I was so used to it and thought nothing about it, and one day my friend was like, "At least say excuse me!" She was half joking but half not-I think........ :huh: .....but I was just acustomed to burping, especially in the mornings for some reason, I forgot it was kind of rude! :lol:

Guest gfinnebraska

LOL ~ the things we talk about on here!! :huh: I get horrible gas from gluten. Not just loud and often, but the smell would kill most small animals. Have two older sons (19 & 20) and a husband... you can imagine the fun I have! I threaten to eat gluten just to blow them out of the room if they don't behave!!! Hahahaha! No, I have never carried through with my threat, but they don't take any chances!

I go for long walks - alone! - and that helps with the gas if I have any. IF I keep gluten free, then I don't have any gas at all. :)

Canadian Karen Community Regular

Yep! I can join this club too! :P

For me, there is so much gas to go around that it comes out both ways constantly. When I burp, it is not only one burp, but about 10 burps one after the other, with every breath. When it is the other, well, let's just say that someone would rather run over a skunk than be next to me....... :P

Every once in awhile, I get gas so bad and it kinda gets "trapped" in my body. It becomes extremely painful. It actually feels like there are gas bubbles that are rising up and up until there is nowhere else to go. My jaw hurts, my neck and even my ears....... Have you ever had any surgery where they have to blow up your abdomen with air and afterward you have that gas that rests underneath your shoulders and feels like a knife? Well, that's the best way I can describe how it feels....... It's scary when it happens, actually....... :unsure:

Karen

danikali Enthusiast
Yep!  I can join this club too! :P

For me, there is so much gas to go around that it comes out both ways constantly. When I burp, it is not only one burp, but about 10 burps one after the other, with every breath.  When it is the other, well, let's just say that someone would rather run over a skunk than be next to me.......  :P

Every once in awhile, I get gas so bad and it kinda gets "trapped" in my body. It becomes extremely painful.  It actually feels like there are gas bubbles that are rising up and up until there is nowhere else to go.  My jaw hurts, my neck and even my ears.......  Have you ever had any surgery where they have to blow up your abdomen with air and afterward you have that gas that rests underneath your shoulders and feels like a knife?  Well, that's the best way I can describe how it feels.......  It's scary when it happens, actually....... :unsure:

Karen

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

WOw! I do know exactly what you mean when it get's stuck and it builds up in your whole body! That is a horrible feeling! It usually stays in my stomach and back though.......well, I guess my upper back get's some of it, like right below my backbones. I really hate that.

I'm also a student still and when I'm in class, I can't really let it out. SO I hold it in, when I can't run to the bathroom, and that is when I get the WORST abdominal pains ever. It's my classic "IBS" (or what I thought was IBS before all of this) symptom. It's like, my stomach gets soooooooo big I look like I am pregnant; it gets really really hard! It's like, there is a short string attached from my lower lower stomach to about an inch below my belly button, and when I stand up, and straighten up, the string is too short! So it pulls and causes HORRIBLE pain! It's really hard to walk when that happens, sometimes, I can't, I have to crunch down and get in the fetal position. I used to notice this in high school when I first started drinking beer. I would have like 4 sips and all of sudden, this would happen (except I can't get the gas out then). Well, I stopped drinking beer when going out not long after I discovered this. :blink:

swittenauer Enthusiast

My husband had the worlds worst gas right before he was diagnosed. I specifically remember our wedding day. Ha! He had it forever. It is not funny but you really do have to laugh. I spent a many a night fanning the bedroom door back & forth to keep from suffocating from his gas. Ha!

Rusla Enthusiast
WOw! I do know exactly what you mean when it get's stuck and it builds up in your whole body! That is a horrible feeling! It usually stays in my stomach and back though.......well, I guess my upper back get's some of it, like right below my backbones. I really hate that.

I'm also a student still and when I'm in class, I can't really let it out. SO I hold it in, when I can't run to the bathroom, and that is when I get the WORST abdominal pains ever. It's my classic "IBS" (or what I thought was IBS before all of this) symptom. It's like, my stomach gets soooooooo big I look like I am pregnant; it gets really really hard! It's like, there is a short string attached from my lower lower stomach to about an inch below my belly button, and when I stand up, and straighten up, the string is too short! So it pulls and causes HORRIBLE pain! It's really hard to walk when that happens, sometimes, I can't, I have to crunch down and get in the fetal position. I used to notice this in high school when I first started drinking beer. I would have like 4 sips and all of sudden, this would happen (except I can't get the gas out then). Well, I stopped drinking beer when going out not long after I discovered this.  :blink:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I can so relate to this. At work in our small cubicals it was like quick get that person off the phone and run to the bathroom. I was jet propelled and boy is it different after being gluten free for almost two weeks. I hate that I have to go back to gluten next week for a week. Good thing I work on the days when hardly anyone is in next week.

I have no problems staying gluten free but I will have problems going back.

ianm Apprentice

Major gas and bloating. Even the dog would have to leave the room.

aikiducky Apprentice
I can so relate to this. At work in our small cubicals it was like quick get that person off the phone and run to the bathroom. I was jet propelled and boy is it different after being gluten free for almost two weeks. I hate that I have to go back to gluten next week for a week. Good thing I work on the days when hardly anyone is in next week.

I have no problems staying gluten free but I will have problems going back.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Why are you going back on gluten for a week? Is it to see how you feel, or is it for testing? because if it's for testing, yuo should know by now that a week isn't going to be enough?

Pauliina

jnifred Explorer

peeeeee-eeewwwwww is all I have to say to that.......Oh yeah!!!

Archived