20 replies to this topic

#16 lovemylabs

lovemylabs

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 05:08 PM

Hi all, I am new to this board, not yet diagnosed with celiac but the troops are leaning in that direction. have experienced many of the same symptoms and it really is tough, especially the unexplained weight gain and the incredible fatigue. Have just been diagnosed with pernicious anemia off the chart numbers and epstein-barr. Being tested for lupus but I doubt that very much, have more celiac symptoms than lupus symptoms. Nice to know this board exists. I will have many questions I am sure, just hope the diagnosis part doesn't take too long as I can barely function and just want my life back.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 Meenucat

Meenucat

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 05:22 PM

Welcome, 'labs' - I know just what you mean about the 'barely functioning' comment :blink:

The bone aches and fatigue/weakness are probably the hardest things for me to deal with right now (I work 40 hours a week and some days are TOUGH) - I can tolerate the getting physically sick to my stomach part fairly well by now, but I haven't yet mastered the body aching and dragging feeling part :lol:

Good luck with your health and happy posting!

#18 Karina

Karina

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 15 April 2004 - 05:13 AM

Meenucat,
I got my endoscopy results back, and they are positive for celiac disease. The doc is sending me stuff in the mail and then I am supposed to see him May 5 to discuss everything. Have you gotten your endoscopy results back? I have been wondering about your results since are symptoms were so similar. My abdominal pain is back. It seems I had a short two week reprieve from it. I havn't gone gluten free yet--I am preparing to...my daughters birthday is in less than two weeks, I want regular cake one last time! :D Last night I had stouffers lasangna, and pretty much immediately afterwards I was really bloated and in pain--it was the first time I ever linked the pain to eating. I usually just have it all the time on and off. Anyway, now I guess I need to talk to our pediatrician about getting the kids tested. Also, I guess I need to get some bloodwork done to see what all deficiencies I might have at this point, and a bone scan--I have heard this is a good idea. Where are you in this process? Have you had a bone scan? It's wierd, because I have all these symptoms of celiac disease, and now a diagnosis of celiac disease, but it is still hard to accept in a way that celiac disease could have been causing so many problems for so long and no body knew....I guess that is normal, huh? ;)
Karina
KARINA

#19 Meenucat

Meenucat

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 15 April 2004 - 07:19 AM

Wow! - Well it's great that you finally have a diagnosis, Karina! (I'm sorry that you have Celiac, but it's great to hear that you now know why you were so uncomfortable and miserable and can now change that and feel good & healthy!).

I have NOT received my results yet - my doctor called me on a Thursday afternoon last time - so I'm hopng that he'll call later today - I was wondering if I should call the office, but then I didn't want to talk to his secretary - I'd rather speak to him directly!
I'll post my results the minute I hear from him, though - I almost think it's going to be negative for Celiac based on the endoscopy biopsies alone - I think my stomach looked pretty normal to him...I may have to get that enterolab test?

I have NOT ever had a bone scan - Do they take the bone scans to check bone density? Like for degeneration? Hmmm...

I had spaghetti and bread last night and didn't get sick - If I had Celiac, wouldn't I be doubled over almost immediatley?? This morning I felt sick, but last night I was fine - I'm stumped :unsure:

Keep me posted on how things are going for you - and also on the fate of your kids...Good luck!

#20 Meenucat

Meenucat

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 20 April 2004 - 09:28 AM

Update: I just spoke with my gastroenterologist's secretary and she said that my endoscopy was negative :(

Now I don't know what to do - I have a follow up appt. scheduled for the end of May - should I ask for the enterolab test at that point?? I don't know what questions to ask my doctor at this point - I'm really depressed.

How many other people had negative endoscopy results??? Help - I need some advice :(

#21 Karina

Karina

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 20 April 2004 - 06:32 PM

Meenucat,
I am sorry you didn't find answers yet. I would ask you GI for a report of the endoscopy. Does it just say "negative" or what? I know that several here have had negative endoscopies, but have gone on the diet, and bam! Felt better. Maybe you should try the diet for a few months and see. I know it is a big commitment, and all, but it may be worth it. I have also wondered maybe you should try to get the gene test. I know it is expensive, but if you don't have the gene for celiac, then you for SURE know you don't have it. I am thinking I may want to do this for my kids, because it there labs are normal, before putting them through and endoscopy I want to know is it even possible for them to have it? If they don't have the gene for it than that will be one last thing I won't have to worry about for them in their life-time. If they have the gene then I probably would have to do an endoscopy. Anyway, having a diagnosis is not the end all with this thing. For me, it has really opened up a can of worms. Now I have to get a bone scan, other tests for deficiencies, and even then--the doc warned me that celiac disease may not explain ALL my symptoms--so that is really comforting, eh?

Keep searching for answers, and follow your instincts. I wish I would have followed mine earlier, I would have searched more aggressively for the answer to my own health issues.....Ah, hindsite is 20/20.

Karina
KARINA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: