This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten Everywhere?

Maddi

Maddi Community Regular

In case you haven't seen my posts, I haven't been diagnosed with Celiac (negative blood tests) but I do have many of the symptoms. Well I was feeling pretty good when I first started now I'm back to feeling a bit crappy. My neurological symptoms (tingling, burning, hot flashes) are back. And I'm tiredddd so tired. Well I'm new to this and I've now realized how incredibly hard this diet will be. I'm sorry for asking so many questions but I don't have anyone else to help me and everyone in my life thinks I'm exaggerating about cross contamination.

So I have a few questions:

Sunday: I bought meat from behind the counter at Whole Foods. There were plenty of other meats with seasonings and bread along side. (I didn't ask the guy at the counter to change gloves or anything bc I don't want to be dishonest since I don't know whether I have Celiac or not).

Tuesday: My bf gives be a piece of Lindt's white chocolate (it was sooooooooo good). I did read the label before taking the piece and it didn't mention anything. I eat it. So I start with my hot flashes and insomnia in the middle of the night which is a tell tell sign of me getting glutened. Also I get shooting nerve pains on my legs and hands. Well I do some research and I find out that they use shared production lines and that their regular chocolate is NOT gluten free. /:

Today: I start thinking about what could be causing my symptoms. I've bought some yellow rubber gloves since my hands are sooooooooo dry...well the gloves have powder (I threw away the bag they came in so I can't remember what brand they were!!) And I looked into it and I read some articles and some people stating that the powder can consist of oats or wheat? ??? Is this true???? Bc I know I should but I don't wash my hands before I eat since my hands are super dry and I just wash them after I go to the bathroom or when I shower or when I'm dealing with raw meat.

One last question: How long do your cross contamination symptoms last?

This is all very new to me and very overwhelming and any help or reassurance would be nice since everyone else around me seems to think I'm exaggerating and that a little gluten isn't going to harm me but I know that it can (first few weeks I didn't realize a pan wasn't clean and so I heat my food and as I was putting my food on my plate I realized that there were crumbs but my food didn't have any bread!!! That night I had stomachache and insomnia!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cyclinglady Grand Master

Cross contamination exposure can last for days, weeks or months! Everyone is different.

You must wash you hands before you eat! That is imperative! I do not care how cracked your hands are (mine are horrible from cracking and bleeding because I have contact dermatitis). Use coconut or olive oil on them and water gloves to bed to aid in healing.

Lindt chocolate is not gluten free. Buy Endangered Species. It is terrific and it is certified gluten free. At least until you get better at reading labels and never accepting food from any family member or friend unless you watched them prepare it and read the labels!

If you are in a shared kitchen, get your own pans, utensils, etc. Especially pours ones. Wash befor you use it if you have sloppy gluten eaters in your family.

I use rubber gloves but I wash my hands before I eat!

Read the newbie section for more valuable tips!

Hang in there!

cyclinglady Grand Master

If you are going to be gluten free, then stand your ground! It is not a matter of being dishonest. It is your health!

I would not buy meat from behind the counter that is sitting next to stuffed pork chops! Buy it in the package. At least the butcher is making dozens of packages and is not mixing up stuffing or seasoning at the same time. Talk to them and ask how they process it. They are happy to help!

I have not heard that wheat is used as a glove powder. Usually, it is cornstarch. You can get powder free ones.

bartfull Rising Star

Your pharmacy sells boxes of vinyl gloves. They're cheap and disposable and have no powder.That's what I use.  I really doubt the powder is wheat or oats but who wants powder all over their hands?  I have terrible psoriasis on my hands. They crack and bleed. I use the gloves to wash dishes and I sleep in them after slathering my hands with coconut oil at night. And it hurts like crazy to wash my hands but I do it every single time I am planning on putting something in my mouth. I just use lukewarm water instead of hot, and right after I eat I oil them again.

The only meats I eat are ones I buy and cook myself. And chocolate? Well most chocolate also has soy in it. That can be a problem for some. Enjoy life makes gluten-free, soy-free chocolate. I used to like that but I can't do sugar anymore due to a different health problem.

Now, don't EVER be afraid of asking questions here! That's what we are here for. And don't EVER let family or friends or store employees make you feel guilty. You are NOT exaggerating and if they think you are, tough! YOU are responsible for your own health and no one should bully you into taking chances. If they don't or won't understand, that is their problem. Don't be so compliant that it becomes your problem. Just tell them, "Hey, it is in no way hurting YOU, so why are you making a big deal out of it?"

Maddi Community Regular

You guys are awesome! And of course very, very right. As of today, I've started washing my hands. You've given me strength and I have ZERO excuses since my hands are not bleeding, just very dry and rough. I will also listen to your advice of sleeping with coconut oil on my hands with gloves on!!!! That's a very good idea! I'm officially determined to do this right so that I start feeling better. If I'm doing the diet then I might as well start being more strict with potential cross contamination. It's going to take some practice but I'm going to have to learn to stand my ground when it comes to others views on my health since at the end of the day I'm the one feeling sick. Again thank you, thank you! (:

nvsmom Community Regular

:)  Good.

And never worry about lying.  You can always just say you need to be very strictly gluten-free for health reasons.  If a nosy person asks if it is celiac you can always say yes, or just tell them you would rather not discus your health issues.  :)

Get a glycerin based hand lotion like glysomed.  It works well.  I use a foot cream for my body since I'm usually pretty dry.

Best wishes.

Maddi Community Regular

I'll look into that lotion! Thanks. (:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived