This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Lindt Excellence 85% Bars

Nikki2777

Nikki2777 Community Regular

Hi - My husband just brought me two Lindt Excellence 85% bars, because he read the ingredients and saw no gluten.

I went on the Lindt website and it appears that these 'Excellence' dark chocolate bars are gluten free, according to Lindt, at least.

But, I do remember reading that Lindt chocolates were risky.  Did a search here and everything is pretty old, so I thought I'd ask.  

Maybe it's a shared lines issue?  Thanks.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cyclinglady Grand Master

Jane Andeson on about.com usually has good tips for celiacs.  I ate lots of yummy gluten-free things in England based on her advice and did not get sick!  This article was published in August 2015 and talks about chocolate.  I buy Endangered Species which is certified and delicious!  Am a diabetic so I savor one square at a time.  

Open Original Shared Link

Pauliewog Contributor

LIndt 85% was my go to chocolate for years. I LOVE it. One day I noticed the back label looked different. It now said "produced on shared equipment with wheat..." I contacted the company and they confirmed they changed their manufacturing line and the 85% was produced on a line with wheat. BUT, I live overseas and this chocolate has many languages on the label. It is possible that the bars for the overseas market are made on a shared line. I don't know where the US sold bars are made. Prior to this label change I ate it everyday and never had a problem. Sadly, after the label change I had to stop......

Thanks, Paulie - Mine is only in English and doesn't say that, so hopefully it's ok....

And thanks, too, Cycling Lady - I read Jane Anderson's link you gave, and I can't see where on the Lindt site she found her quote about shared lines and possible trace contamination.  I guess I could call or e-mail them tomorrow, but this is what the site says tonight:

Is there gluten or barley malt in Lindt chocolate?

Gluten can be found in several premium chocolate products that Lindt & Sprüngli produces; either as a cereal ingredient or as a barley component. For consumers who are sensitive to gluten, we do offer certain premium high cocoa content products that are manufactured without cereal or barley malt, which may be suitable for consumers with such dietary restrictions. These offerings include four bars from our EXCELLENCE line - 70%, 85%, 90% and 99%. Please always refer to a product’s packaging for definitive advice.

We are sensitive to the fact that there are consumers who are unable to enjoy all of our chocolate at this time, and we hope that in the future we will be able to extend more product offerings to accommodate our consumers with varying dietary requirements.

Archived