This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Not getting enough food, malnourished?

Victor10

Victor10 Rookie

Okay so I haven't been officially diagnosed but I'm pretty sure I have celiac. I went a few weeks off Gluten and I felt amazing. My face cleared up, my digestive problems disappeared. My stools were finally normal after so many years. I had energy.

A few days ago at a wedding I made the stupid mistake of eating alot of Gluten. Needless to say I felt horrible. Stomach cramps, gas and bloating. Diarrhea and fatigue. I've slowly been getting better but my stomach is still very sensitive after being glutened. So I have to eat light till I recover.

But my question is it possible to feel weakish and as if I'm not getting the right amount of nutrition and vitamins. I feel by cutting out Gluten I haven't been eating much and its starting to affect me. I guess you can call it like brain fog also. I can tell my body wants more food. I have barely eaten protein at all, you think the lack of it is making me feel weak and malnourished?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cyclinglady Grand Master

Getting tested is your best bet on staying on the gluten-free diet.   It is possible to go gluten-free on your own (like my hubby did) but it is hard.  Not just the diet, but the possible lack of support from medical family and friends.  Ask your doctor to test you vitamin and mineral levels.  No need to guess.  

Next time notify the the bride to see if the caterer can accommodate you or bring your own food.   But I bet you already have figured that out!  

I am sorry that you got sick.  Why are you not eating?  Do you cook?  It might be time to learn.  Start with plain meat, fish and poultry and lots of cooked veggies as they are easier to digest.  Hopefully you will feel better soon!  

mamaw Community Regular

Is  there a reason you can not  get  tested  for  celiac  first?It  is always  best  to be tested  when possible....Why are  you not  eating protein? yes, it is possible to feel  very weak  when not consuming  the  correct  balance  of  food  &  enough  food..even if  you get  dx'd  celiac  one  must  maintain  a balance  of  foods (  healthy foods) so  the  gut  can heal....When a person does not  consume  enough food their  blood  sugar  can  drop.....

Victor10 Rookie

I just haven't had a chance to go get tested yet but since being off Gluten i dont know if it will come up positive.

To be honest I'm still young and never really cooked for myself. This is all still new to me. So I I've just been eating little here and there that I see isn't Gluten. Today I went with my mother and we bought alot of fruits and vegetables, meats and fish and alot of other Gluten free foods so I can eat a healthy meal and get the proper nutrition now.

bartfull Rising Star

Victor, get yourself some disposable baking pans. You can cook things like chicken and fish in the oven in big batches. Then cook up a huge pot of rice. Then mix the meat with the rice. Chop up the vegetables really fine and throw them in raw. Now put individual servings into ziplock bags and throw them in the freezer. Then at mealtime (or a little before so it thaws a little), put it in a bowl and microwave it. Add a little butter or cheese or whatever you want, and you've got a quick, easy meal.

I am not a good cook and I don't particularly like to cook either. So I do it this way. I only cook once a week and it makes life so much easier. Once you've done this a few times with different foods you'll have a variety in your freezer to choose from. :)

Victor10 Rookie

That's a great idea, I will definitely do that and will save me time being a student. 

I'm making an appointment with a doctor to get tested for celiac, see what happens.

But since the wedding I've been off and having upset stomach and nausea. Ugh this sucks. 

squirmingitch Veteran

You will have to be eating gluten to get tested. Here are the rules:
Open Original Shared Link

I don't care if the doc says you don't have to follow those rules because the doc will be wrong & you will get a negative result. 

Also, for when you go full on gluten free you will need to know these rules to prevent cross contamination. Read this thread & follow all the links in it. It would be good for your mom to read it too so she knows.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived