This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Help, Does Anyone Know?

bknutson

bknutson Apprentice

Does anyone know if with celiac disease we do not digest well? I have been diagnosed for3 months and I am struggling. Do any of you throw up? And is it not digested? Oh man is it rough. I dont mean to be discusting. I just dont know these things. I just dont know what to do anymore. I have read about the progresso soups that have been mentioned on here and when I go to buy them they have stuff in them that we cant have. I was so sad and angry tonight. I am sick with the flu and I threw up last night so I havent eaten all day, so tonight I wanted soup so bad and couldnt find any. So I had the regular salad with newmans dressing. Now I am afraid to throw up. Is that a normal thing?

Thanks to all of you on here you have helped me so much you just can not even know how much. You are all wonderful people. Barbara

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest Viola

Not to worry about asking gross questions ... we've all been there :D

Yes, until everything heals, and the time frame seems to differ with each person depending on how much damage was done, you will find that things don't digest as much as they should. They tend to go right through, especially things that are high roughage and difficult for even healthy people to digest.

The flu on top of Celiac is really a bummer! :( I do hope that you are feeling better soon.

I can't get the Progresso soups here, so haven't seen the ingredients, however I do use the Thai Kitchen soups ... the ones in the little package are less strong than the ones in the bowls. They really are a nice noodle soup. The garlic, vegetable one in the little package is quite mild and would be best if you are not feeling well to start with, but when you feel better, get adventurous and try the Bancock Curry and the Mushroom medley :P

flagbabyds Collaborator

That really sucks to have the flu on top of you still healing after being diagnosed with celiac. I would say, just stay very simple on the foods, don't eat anything too hard on your stomach. BRAT (bananas, rice applesaice, toast) you could get gluten-free toast if you really want it, but rice is really the best thing for celiacs to have when they are sick ,it is very easy to digest, but have white rice, not brown.

Hope you feel better soon!

tarnalberry Community Regular
Does anyone know if with celiac disease we do not digest well? I have been diagnosed for3 months and I am struggling. Do any of you throw up?  And is it not digested? Oh man is it rough. I dont mean to be discusting. I just dont know these things. I just dont know what to do anymore. I have read about the progresso soups that have been mentioned on here and when I go to buy them they have stuff in them that we cant have. I was so sad and angry tonight. I am sick with the flu and I threw up last night so I havent eaten all day, so tonight I wanted soup so bad and couldnt find any. So I had the regular salad with newmans dressing. Now I am afraid to throw up. Is that a normal thing?

Thanks to all of you on here you have helped me so much you just can not even know how much. You are all wonderful people.  Barbara

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The vomitting isn't surprising with the flu. As for soup, if your store carries it, the Imagine brand Creamy Tomato Soup and Butternut Soup are both Gluten-free Casein-free, and fairly easy on most stomachs. They're thin, but they stay down when I'm feeling crappy. Salad... whew... I usually stay away from that when I'm feeling nauseous. Plain rice, or apple sauce may also work well. Alternatively, just plain broth.

Good luck, and I hope you feel better soon. Peppermint tea with honey may help calm the stomache some. Or ginger.

Ursa Major Collaborator

Barbara, I find that I don't digest many things well yet (it's only been six weeks on the diet for me). Right now I have trouble with almost everything raw, so I stick with cooked vegetables and meat. That seems to work for me. Green salad (not head lettuce, but romaine) is fine, too. I make my own dressing, because all the bought ones have things I can't handle right now.

Just a soup with broth and vegetables should be a good idea right now. You might not be able to buy it. Do you have somebody who would cook some for you?

I wished I could 'come on over' and cook some for you! But I bet you are far away from me, too bad.

jknnej Collaborator

It's totally normal and in fact more than one of us has emetophobia, the fear of throwing up. I think I have it because I feel sick so often.

fortunately my GI doctor gives me a prescription of Phenegran, a drug that stops vomiting right away. I don't use it much but it cuts my anxiety WAY down because I know I have it if I need it. There is also Zofran, which doesn't make you as sleepy as Phenegrann (trust me you will sleep if you take it) but Zofran is much more expensive. Phenegran is cheap. It takes my nausea away, though, if it is severe.

I also get nauseated because I found out AFTER I found out about Celiac that I also have acid reflux. my dr. says that although some people get more "heartburn" symptoms, others get nauseated instead. That is me! So the nexium really helps.

But if you have the flu just plain old rest and bland diet is what you need. Get some Pedialyte pops to replace your electrolytes. You shouldn't throw those up.

I hope you feel better soon and please let us know if you have any other questions. You WILL get better!! Just be patient and get some anti-nausea drugs to get you through the really tough times!!!

ravenwoodglass Mentor
Does anyone know if with celiac disease we do not digest well? I have been diagnosed for3 months and I am struggling. Do any of you throw up?  And is it not digested? Oh man is it rough. I dont mean to be discusting. I just dont know these things. I just dont know what to do anymore. I have read about the progresso soups that have been mentioned on here and when I go to buy them they have stuff in them that we cant have. I was so sad and angry tonight. I am sick with the flu and I threw up last night so I havent eaten all day, so tonight I wanted soup so bad and couldnt find any. So I had the regular salad with newmans dressing. Now I am afraid to throw up. Is that a normal thing?

Thanks to all of you on here you have helped me so much you just can not even know how much. You are all wonderful people.  Barbara

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have the progresso split pea at least once a week, that is definately gluten-free, I also use their cream of mushroom a lot for casseroles. I believe the chicken and rice is okay also but I am rather learly of processed chicken in any form, so I avoid it. They do have other varieties that are gluten-free also but read the can carefully, I got myself a couple weeks ago because I only skimmed the label. I had the flu and boy was that a mistake. Cough, cough, hack, hack, run to the bathroom and hope I make it. :( . Salad would be the last thing I would eat! Even when I feel great it is hard to digest, I use spinach instead of lettuce for this reason. By the way, which Newmans dressing are gluten-free? The poster who reccommended plain chicken and rice gave you some good advice, it might help settle things so you may want to try it for a few days. For a different bit of flavor cook your chicken, I bake it, then tear it into small pieces add to your rice before you cook it and add about 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon. I add browned broken up rice noodles during the last 5 minutes and sometimes substitute chi-chi beans (chick peas canned and rinsed) if I want a vegatarian meal. The cinnamon helps calm the tummy and this reheats well in the microwave.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

RiceGuy Collaborator

Seems like you've been given some good advice here. It occured to me though that baby food should be easy to digest. I mean, that's really the idea behind it, right? Last time I tasted some I thought it was pretty good. Nice and mild (I tend to like very mild flavors).

I didn't find any tendency to returning my meals to the point of entry, but the undigested part - oh yeah. Big time. Chew, chew, chew, and more chew. Grinding it into pulp before swallowing was what worked for me.

No to meats though. That's not easily digested. I'm basically veggies and rice. Potatoes too - I get the plain instant ones from Betty Crocker. Less weird additives and way better tasting than other brands. I mix it with water, and use margarine. A slice of soy cheese adds amazing flavor and texture. Sooooo good! I've been trusting the label as to the gluten aspect though. I'm hoping it's safe since I can't imagine them adding gluten to potatoes. I suppose I should write to them and ask.

Careful with soy though, as I've read a number of posts from people who can't have that. Seems like a good alternative to dairy though - if you don't have negative reactions to it. Many are also reporting intolerence to dairy, and animal proteins are harder on the digestive system. We humans are herbavours anyway.

bknutson Apprentice

Thanks all of you. I am over the flu now. I just have the brochial stuff, but will soon heal I am sure. Ok this is another weird one please dont laugh at me. Do any of you get a pain in your back? When you get a stomach ache or such? I know I am asking some weird ones.

You are all the best thankyou so much and I hope one day when I know more I can help someone who is a newby. Oh the newmans dresing I use is the ranch.

Archived